low productivity b/c of day dreaming about running

Alejandro 10

Barefooters
Jul 13, 2011
To borrow a phrase from an unknown source, "I am sucking at life lately." I'm trying to build back up to my old and trusty 10 to 12 mile weeks after dealing with tendonitis back in August and September. On the other hand, I have to get my graduate school work done.

Lately, for all my day dreaming about running I haven't gotten my work finished. Because I haven't gotten my work finished I have punished myself by not running... Rinse and repeat. Hence, I am illogically sitting in a circular argument and frustrating myself to no end...

I believe I have to do two things. First, I have to, once and for all, give up on this perfectionism. It is self sabotaging and hurting my running and my academics (and more importantly, when those suffer so does my relationship with my lovely bride). Second, I've got to take everything a step at a time (literally and figuratively).

Has anyone else been in a similar situation? I've been trying to put some things from zenhabits.com into practice to get over the hump the last few days, but any suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks for being my confessor!

Gracia y paz,

A

First of all, relationships

First of all, relationships are all that really matter in the end, so never let anything remain in the way of those, particularly with your wife.

Secondly, unless you have only one activity and it's life-or-death critical, perfectionism will be your mortal enemy.

To succeed in multiple things, you have to prioritize them, balance them, decide on a goal/standard, and focus on one at a time, each in its own time. There is no such thing as "multi-tasking" at any level of significance. Sure, you can eat a donut and watch "Sponge Bob" at the same time (at least my boys can), but you can't write a key research paper while running barefoot and having a deep conversation with your wife.

And you can't do everything in life. At least not concurrently. If you want to be an airline pilot, a banking executive, a pediatric surgeon and a Navy Seal, you're either going to fail, or you're going to have to take them one at a time. The same is true on a smaller scale. Pick the people and goals that are really important to you, and let the rest go. So you'll never be a famous author or nuclear physicist. Or even a famous model airplane builder. Keep the top priorities and let the "nice-to-haves" go.

Prioritize (relationships first), set aside times, and work toward your own reasonable standards, one thing at a time.

This philosophy cost me many years of stupidity and painful experience to hammer out. I hope you can use mine and avoid some of your own.

Phil,I would have never come

Phil,

I would have never come to the Spruce Goose and Howard Hughes comparison. Thanks for the kick start and perspective. I needed to hear it bounced back to me and appreciate it very much! Okay, it is time to tackle section one of that paper while my wife is still asleep. If I get the paper finished in a reasonable amount of time we might go for a run in the Tuskegee National Forest (TNF) today, so there is some incentive there. (Surely, TNF needs to see some bare feet!)

Gracia y paz,

A

The solution is simple

The solution is simple really, if you haven't got your work finished, FINISH it. running will always be there. Seems like you're happy to study the zenhabits website, or here, but not your schoolwork.

The thing is if you get the important stuff out of the way first, you will not only gain strength and confidence from it, but it will leave you free to persue your passions and relationships unhindered.

Try not to over-think things, if you reach a stumbling block, deal with it then and there, never let things drag on unresolved. If you're unable to see the wood from the trees then talk to someone you think could help.

Seems like you've just hit the wall in running terms, remember that only lasts a short while, nothing lasts forever, so just be good to yourself and others and get on with what you know you've got to do.

Peace

Alejandro, I have the same

Alejandro, I have the same problem. For me it doesn't help that this term I had been so excited for my classes only to find out I don't care for my teachers. This causes me to have a hard time focusing on classes because I am so excited still with barefoot running, and who doesnt want to think about something they're excited about? I have had to really learn this term the advice given above by Phil and Ske. I really have to force myself to do homework and then I know my leftover time is my time for running and researching running barefoot and family. I feel much better when I do this.

"Life is what happens to you

"Life is what happens to you while you're making other plans." - John Lennon

I don't think there is a person on here who hasn't had an epiphany or 2 while running. Maybe don't treat it like an either or. For me, it's been exercise, stress relief, brain storming time, a chance to plan, time for self reflection, a date with my wife (we ran a 5k for our anniversary this year.) and sociallizing with my running club friends. If you get stuck on your paper, you feel guilty for neglecting your wife or you're just too wound up to focus, DUDE...that is what running is for!! IMHO

-Jonny

Alex, i'm not in a phd

Alex,

i'm not in a phd program but have been studying pre-med crap the last two years. i found running not only relieves stress and helps me think better but if i can run before class i can also focus on lecture. my mind wanders quickly when a teacher rambles, especially since i know i won't need anything that i'm "learning".

if you can't stop thinking about it it's because your brain is craving it. give in and i bet you'll be able to focus a lot better. if no time for a long run like you like just go out and run hard, or should i say more intense.

luck,

Support Your Club

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Raramuri7