Lost toenail 10/9 - still nothing growing, lost forever?

It takes about 6/8 months for

It takes about 6/8 months for a toe nail to fully grow..maybe longer? I don't remember exactly but I know it takes a very, very long time.

Like they say J, a watch pot never boils.

patience. applies to

patience. applies to everything. i lost a toe nail once while snowboarding. i don't know how i just know when i removed my boot it was black. it fell off and the dr told me it takes a year to grow back. it was fully grown in 6 months but then i take some good vitamins that make my nails grow fast.

mike

I was thinking that there's

I was thinking that there's not bloody much you can do about it, so why worry?

It's not like you go around without your shoes on and people will notice.

For some reason I've been

For some reason I've been curious about this ever since reading your post, jschwab. :) Here's what I found:

From a forum, http://www.healthboards.com/boards/archive/index.php/t-182956.html :

"I broke my big toe on the right foot and they had to remove the nail. One doctor working on it said it will grow back and the other doctor said it won't. Will it? Or is it a chance. Also, will walking without a nail be funney and hurt? This sucks.... :mad:

If the portion of the nail unit that produces the cells that become the nail plate was removed during surgery (the root), the nail plate will not grow back. The toe will feel funny at first, so be very careful in your choice of shoes. If you wear shoes that rub the top of the toe, it would cause further injury to the delicate skin that used to be the nail bed. After a while, this skin will harden and protect the underlying tissues, the nerves and blood supply. That is ALL the nail plate does!"

Since it's been 2 months and you haven't seen ANY growth, I would wonder if maybe that "root" is dead and gone. I guess only time will tell.

Be sure to read the rest of that forum thread...more good info there.

When I asked orginally,

When I asked orginally, everyone said it would take 2 months! I didn't realize I was not being patient enough :). I don't really care, except it gets tender and affects my running :(.

I'll be patient and check out C.Beth's link....

Just came across this post,

Just came across this post, and I just had to read. Time for everyone to know too much info! I used to have a bad habit, kind of weird but when I would get stressed or real worried, I would pick at my toenails, yeah I am NOT joking. Did it when I was younger, as a result I got some freakin ugly toes. Imagine being a barefoot runner embarassed to have people see how ugly his toes are! At least if I am moving I don't mind, they can't see. By the way, I mean rip them off! They never did grow back right, kind of like a calloused nail. Have had lots of problems with my big toes, especially when I run big miles with shoes. Would have to rip out ingrowns quite often. Good thing is running bf I have had very few problems. But I am still sporting some ugly toes, oh well it is what it is and I won't stop bf because of some ugly feet! There, now you all know too much. Jschwab, hope that yours comes back normal, maybe in the end we can have an "ugly toe contest", but I would be willing to bet I would win.

(No subject)

:shock:

And welcome, Aubrey!

And welcome, Aubrey!

Thanks TJ, your little smiley

Thanks TJ, your little smiley says it all! It's like a nervous habit, just weirder. Guess we all have a little "freak" in us, thanks again for the welcome!

Thanks Jschwab, now that's

Thanks Jschwab, now that's funny! Iread somewhere about some ultrarunner having his completely removed!? That would be cool, I would consider that. A bunch of smoooooooth little piggies.

Support Your Club

Natural Running Center

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hadashi jon