Losing a toenail

jschwab

Barefooters
Jun 16, 2010
This is Mikee posting on Janine's account (actually, I thought I was posting as myself, but she snuck onto my computer and logged herself in at some point). She got a lot of debris stuck under her toe during the Warrior Dash three weeks ago. It got infected and she had to take antibiotics. She's been keeping it wrapped up with a band aid all month, but the nail was just too loose, so she cut it off today. There was still some grit under there.

She's tending to it right now so she asked me to post. There's nothing left of the nail but a small piece in the corner. The toenail will grow back, right? What will happen to the little piece? Is there anything special she should do to take care of it?

im marking this so when i

im marking this so when i check the "track" section on my profile it comes up, because im very interested to see the answer.

Also, if i had to guess id say it will grow back. Because when i was around 4 or 5 i got my thumb slammed into a sliding van door. it proceeded to fall off after a few days, i currently am the proud owner of 2 healthy thumbnails. Lets hope your friend will have the same feeling dealing with her toes.

Gah... Reading that made my

Gah... Reading that made my skin crawl. :(

My sister used to lose the nail on her big toe back when she ran. (lost it 3 times I believe) And it grew back every time.

My mom lost a fingernail one

My mom lost a fingernail one time. Grew back, but not as smooth as before.

I want pretty feet! Is there

I want pretty feet! Is there any problem with running (and wearing VFF's)? Do I just keep a Band-Aid on it? Will the little piece fall off? This is retribution because any time anyone makde a comment about my going barefoot I would make the snarky remark "I've never lost a toenail."

A full nail on the big toe

A full nail on the big toe will take about a year to grow back - the other toes go quicker obviously, since they're smaller. It'll grow back and it's a complete non-issue from the health and fitness standpoint. You shouldn't cover it, let it get lot's of air. The little piece won't fall off (if I'm visualizing it correctly), but you may find yourself tempted to cut it off at some point.

Oh, and, welcome to the cool club :cool:

I guess once it's grown out

I guess once it's grown out enough, you can go to a nail salon and have them add an acrylic "extension" to it to make it look more normal. You'll probably be ready for that in a couple of weeks, I would think.

I don't care so much about

I don't care so much about the growing in period, since it's just Capmikee'll see my feet and he doesn't go in for foot fetishism. I'd be upset if this happened before sandal season though.

I ran a few miles today with a band aid and Bikilas and it was fine. Thanks for all the advice and reassurance!

A band-aid'll work too!

A band-aid'll work too!

It kinda depends on the state

It kinda depends on the state the nail is in, the little peice could either fall off later or just grow out. Or do a little bit of both. I smashed my finger in a bus window last april and the nail is still a little bit funky from it. It hurt for like a week after smashing it, and blood had built up under the fingernail (I guess you're supposed to drill through the nail and let it out? I dunno, I didn't know that when it happened anyways.) and for some reason the blood looked BLUE through the nail. So I walked around with a blue fingernail for a week or two. The nail gradually lifted off of the skin, and I trimmed off all I could get at. I ended up with a funny peice left, which took about a month to fall off by itself. Then the nail grew back, but all lumpy and deformed, and once all that grew out (I just had to trim it off as it grew like a regular nail, except it was all bumpy) it was straight. All I have left now is a little extra white patch under the nail.

Support Your Club

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Raramuri7