Long Runs - Cure what ails you

LavaRunner

Chapter Presidents
Jun 4, 2010
I thought this was rather interesting.

Last week I ran home from work. I was rather nervous about it because I have been plagued this year by a really sore ankle. It swells up, aches, looks bad and I was thinking that maybe I really screwed something up. Top that off with both feet hurting constantly in the morning and I was not a happy camper. BUT, I vowed that I was not letting aches set me back. I have run many mid-length runs in the 5 – 14 mile range but needed to step up the game a bit so running home was the best way to force myself to go long. Out and backs weren’t working.

As I left work, I immediately started having a really bad calf cramp. I worked it out after 3 miles and was feeling rather good and still maintaining a 8-9 minute pace. I know bad idea. No warming up, sitting all day and then running. No wonder I was cramping. The goal was to run at a 11 minute pace since the heat was close to 90 degrees. I finally got the pace under control and made the 18 mile run.

Now the interesting part, when I finished the run, sure I was tired, but not like I thought I would be. In fact, I showerd, walked over to the neighbors and chatted for a bit then headed to dinner. It was like I ran 3 miles. The next day I thought I’d be sore but other than a little ache in the quads, nothing. Ever since that run my ankle has been stellar. No pain, no swelling. FIXED! And the sore feet, gone! No pain in the AM and I feel like a million dollars from head to toe. My runs since then seem like walks in the park. I need to do a 25 mile run now just to feel even better.

Sometimes a long run can be

Sometimes a long run can be like a vigorous massage. May be it brakes up scar tissue, do not know.

I have had the same experience.

I think this just happened to

I think this just happened to me too- though my runs were 8.5 mi each both days for a total of 17 last weekend.

For weeks my left ankle/talus was really bothering me again, although that ankle has bugged me since I transitioned because of adjusting to good form following 2 sprained ankles while running shod. I've even had chiropractic adjustments and physical therapy on it. Now, finally, it seems to have settled into a new pain-free normal.

Also, I heard somewhere that if a 2-hour run doesn't help you solve a problem (in your head), nothing will.

"Also, I heard somewhere that

"Also, I heard somewhere that if a 2-hour run doesn't help you solve a problem (in your head), nothing will."

Ain't that the truth

Todays run was rather interesting. Started as a trail run, lots of roots and rocks and I was test driving the new Inov8 trail shoes. It was going to be a 7 miler but 2.5 in I started getting a hot spot on the heel. Not a good sign for my new $110 shoes. They were doing well but I am notorious for heel blisters. at about 3 miles I ditched the shoes and finished 5 miles barefoot. Funny thing was, my pace increased, I was running lighter and I was enjoying it more.

When I got back to the car I drove home which was a 5 minute trip and decided I needed to rack on another 2 miles so I dug out the old homeade huaraches and headed out. I forgot how much I like them too.

So I ran a trail in Trail shoes and Barefoot then switched to Huaraches and did 2 street miles. That was a first.

As for hydration, goes with my other thread, I drank myself silly. Wanted to see if I could stay even on weight. in 7 miles I drank about 50 oz of 1/2 strength accelerade and started the run with 16 oz of 2 day old Chia Fresca. Starting weight 224.5 anding weight 222. Damn, still lost weight. More Beverage

Cool think was at dinner, I wasn't really hungry. i think the Chia Fresca and the Protein in the Accelerade wiped out my hunger.

Wonderful, Lava!  That's good

Wonderful, Lava! That's good news.

twinkletoes wrote:Also, I

twinkletoes said:
Also, I heard somewhere that if a 2-hour run doesn't help you solve a problem (in your head), nothing will.

I think if you change this to 4 hours it is one of my new favorite quotes.

Support Your Club

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Raramuri7

Latest posts