London BUPA 10k run

Samwise

Barefooters
Apr 22, 2012
London
We do this run every year but it's the first time I've ever done it barefoot. I was pacing a mate round to a sub 50 so was able to enjoy the atmosphere more than I usually do and with 10,000 people running and bands round the course there was plenty to enjoy.

Nobody made much of an issue about the barefooted thing until about halfway through the run when some woman running just behind me called out "holy f@%# what an earth are you doing?!"

A kilometre later I started to notice people pointing and calling out as I passed. I assumed it was about my feet but moments later.... I realised I was being trailed by a large guy in a mankini.... a poorly fitting mankini at that, but I'll spare you the detail.

About this time my mate started really struggling but she fought on like a real trouper. As we slowed we started to be passed by a lot of people, with a few of them patting me on the back and congratulated me for running bare.

We continued together until 8k when she told me to go ahead. I blasted the last two kilometres at sub 3'30" pace. It seemed that every 20 meter I'd hear spectators calling out something about my feet. Mostly surprised.

With 400 meters to go I passed one of the guys who'd patted me on the back when I was helping my mate through her low point. He'd take off his chunky trainers and was running barefoot. Seeing that was the perfect way to finish a fantastic run.

Attachments

• ImageUploadedByTapatalk HD1369690279.398974.jpg
    ImageUploadedByTapatalk HD1369690279.398974.jpg
    62 KB · Views: 9

Support Your Club

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Raramuri7

Latest posts