Locator Beacons

rickwhitelaw

Barefooters
Apr 27, 2011
Beryl Utah
Without getting into too many details, I tend to miss a lot of my pick up locations, run in remote areas without cell phone service, and often run alone. My wife want me to wear a locator beacon. Anyone have any experience with one. How well do they work? I saw a model in Backpacker magazine, but haven't had time to research them.
images

Hi Rick -

I found this review on the SPOT: http://www.gpsmagazine.com/2008/01/spot_satellite_messenger_perso.php

It looks like it might work for what you want, but there are costs involved - between $100 and $150/year for the service (not sure why the additional rescue insurance is only $7.50/year when you buy the unit, but it's $150/year if you sign up for it after the fact...)

One thing I would caution anyone against is to watch how far you push yourself "out there". I spent a short stint volunteering for a local Search and Rescue team. The thing that the greybeards used to complain about is that folks could go into REI, drop a bundle on some very sophisticated gear, head out into the wildnerness and then immediately get in over their head by relying on the gear and not actually knowing what they're doing. Not saying that's the case with you, but the general point is to remember that technology is a backup for common sense and skill, not a replacement.

That said, if you do get one, please post a review because I like gadgets and have been toying with getting one of these or a handheld HAM radio for when I go out backpacking in non-cell-covered areas :)

You got your amateur radio operator licence Pirate? I'm KC2EBM though I have not been on the radio in a couple years (I've also never updated my addy from my parents house which is why its still a 2 instead of an 8 designation).

My buddy I've gone backpacking with had a Spot thingy on our last big trip. I think his was the old version and apparently there is a new version that works better. Problems we had was that it was limited in functionality, it could only send like 3 messages, ok, some sort of problem message, and 911. I forget exactly, I think you could customize one message, but not on the fly. But the main problem was there was no acknowledgement that your signal was sent and received. When we went for our 5 day trip we left our trip route and daily campsites marked on a trail map with my friends wife. The plan was that we would 'check in' twice a day to say we were ok, at lunch and at dinner. The problem was for two days in the middle that our signal never went out. We didnt know the Spot was not working and our signal was not going out. And we didnt discuss with his wife what to do if we simply didnt check in. Luckily, the second day that our signal was not received, that evening my buddy was on his 2-meter radio and was talking to a fellow ham on a repeater we could hit. The other ham relayed a message over the phone to my buddies wife for us(we had no cell service in the mountains) stating we were doing well and on schedule. She said she was debating calling the forest service if she didnt hear from us that night, so it was a good thing we happened to get on the ham radio that evening.

I've heard there is a newer version, not sure if it fixed some of these issues or not.

You got your amateur radio operator licence Pirate? I'm KC2EBM though I have not been on the radio in a couple years (I've also never updated my addy from my parents house which is why its still a 2 instead of an 8 designation).

Outstanding! Actually, I jumped the gun and left out some detail to my statement. I said this:
and have been toying with getting one of these or a handheld HAM radio for when I go out backpacking in non-cell-covered areas :)

It would have been better if I had said this:
I'm planning on getting my amateur license and a handheld HAM radio for when I go out backpacking in non-cell-covered areas :)

Now, that being said, know that I will definitely send you my info when I get my license. I know a "local" (northern Bay Area" HAM club will be holding a class in the next month to pass the test, so I'll be looking at that).

Reactions: Tristan-OH
Hi Rick -

One thing I would caution anyone against is to watch how far you push yourself "out there". I spent a short stint volunteering for a local Search and Rescue team. The thing that the greybeards used to complain about is that folks could go into REI, drop a bundle on some very sophisticated gear, head out into the wildnerness and then immediately get in over their head by relying on the gear and not actually knowing what they're doing. Not saying that's the case with you, but the general point is to remember that technology is a backup for common sense and skill, not a replacement.

Well said Pirate. As a ski patroller for over 20 years, I am very familiar with this. I have been seeing a recent trend of skiers, snowboarders, and snowmobilers just buying the safety gear and getting into trouble by not knowing how to use it and by not avoiding dangerous situations. Also, relying on cell phones too much in the backcountry.

Thanks for the link. I will check into these heavily before purchasing.

I know up in White Mountains of NH that they are starting to bill hikers for the cost of the rescues if they are deemed to be negligent. I'm cool with that as long as its clearly negligent. Can't remember if maybe a similar policy was going into effect in the Adirondacks too or not. People reply on gps without carrying a compass or map, then the batteries die or they drop a break it, or trails have changed or whatever. Same with cell phone, anything electronic or plastic can easily fail. Heck I have yet to be in the mountains and get service on my phone (but T-Mo kind of sucks outside of cities and interstates).

As for the spot, try this http://forums.backpacker.com/cgi-bin/forums/ikonboard.cgi?act=Search&CODE=02&SID=50460c6f210d3e35 not sure if that link will work for non members but give it a try. Otherwise go there a do a search in the forums under 'gear' for 'Spot' in the post title, there are lots of threads made specifically about the Spot thingy. I'm on backpacker.com occasionally, handle is Adirondackiteer.

Thanks Tristan, I'll check it out. Another forum? I can't keep up with this one. I did scan a few Backpacker magazines at a dentist office. Good stuff.

At this point, I won't be buying a locator any time soon. Just need to plan out my routes and communicate better for pick up spots.

Support Your Club

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hadashi jon