Just weird.....

clawhammer72

Barefooters
Aug 5, 2012
Fullerton, CA
After my longest run ever last friday....10.5 miles, I started limping around because of an achilles/calf tightness issue in my left leg. I'm used to rolling my calves and loosening things up, but this time the tightness lasted longer than normal, and only on one side. Usually it goes away after a day or two.

I've been limping around school (I'm a teacher) to the degree that other people have been noticing. No big deal. I was just worried that I had injured myself -- tmts and all that jazz.

But, today I discovered something weird. I realized that I was avoiding using my calves on my left side while walking. I would walk normally on the right side, but on the left, I was basically just lifting the foot and avoiding any pressure forward of the heel.

I did some heel raises and found that while there was some stiffness on the left, there was no "pain." After consciously walking with more pressure, pushing off with my toes, I was able to start walking again normally, with no pain.

I think I got so used to avoiding the strain, that I had developed a modified gait, and then had to transition back into normal walking. Anyway, not sure what to make of this, if anything.

Ok... This is not that weird in the grand scheme of things. Just weird to go through it.

You could link this to my recent "First Hurt" thread. I'm thinking I'm more sensitive to changes in my running than I believed I could be. I would recommend you bookmark Soc Doc's recent set of articles dealing with injuries, too. (Look to the Front Page.)

Good luck and heal well.

Reactions: clawhammer72

Support Your Club

Natural Running Center

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Raramuri7