Is Noam's Brother a Podiatrist or What?

Longboard

Chapter Presidents
May 13, 2010
I find his comparison of

I find his comparison of running & religious practice to be interesting. But I don't agree with his perspective; he seems to lump most runners into one category, and most Jews into one category, in terms of what shoes, or what worship style, they need. Just as various shoe options make running attractive to various types of people, various worship options may make Judaism attractive to various types of people.

Interesting article though, and proof of how the idea of barefoot and minimalist running is becoming more mainstream, even if the actual practice isn't quite there yet.

He seems to think that most

He seems to think that most people need structure, whether in religous practice or foot support.

I think he is misinformed with regards to barefoot running, and as a result by his own theoretical comparison he would end up AGAINST organized religion if he bothered to read the research related to unshod locomotion.

He does remind me of a shoe company trying hard to fight off the "enemy" though!

I find him interesting to

I find him interesting to read from several sides... I am a barefoot runner and I left the mainstream of Judaism years ago for a small Chavurah.. which has grown to be the size and have the issues of a larger congregation though we still have chavurah in our name...

I disagree with a lot of what he said.. most people I know in some sort of chavurah/minyan or small group are MORE active in their overall Jewish community as a larger entitity- through community wide orgs, other synagogues, etc.. than their counterparts.. they care more and have more spirit to share.

I am also one who would NOT be running if I had to wear traditional shoes. I had to give up the sport for injuries, and what I am doing now I tried to do before and until I tried barefoot didn't happen because it HURT!

I think more barefooters are trying to interest shod runners in learning more about proper form than in running barefoot. They just want to run and be healthy themselves.. not force others to emulate them exactly.

Amie

KhirAmie, I think you hit the

KhirAmie, I think you hit the nail on the head. The author of the article perhaps bent his analogy past the breaking point, albeit, with the best of intentions.

I would not be running, either, were it not for BF technique and philosophy. I, too, am engaged with the running world, courtesy of the BRS and other web based communities.

On the other side of the analogy, my Unitarian congregation has invested deeply and received huge dividends from the development of a Small Group Ministry movement. The groups are actively promoted within the congregation and serve to engage many people who would otherwise feel more isolated or alienated.

Good discussion, LB. I have to admit that my first response was to click over to the definition of "davening." I had asked my office mate, a landsman, what it means, but my goyishe pronunciation threw him off.

During our last search for a

During our last search for a new shul I found Chabad Lubavitch to be the most barefoot friendly, having no problem with bare feet on men or women. No way can knees, collarbones, or elbows show on the ladies, but they authorized me to arrive on Shabbos via bicycle in shorts, tank, and shoeless!

Did shots with them after services before riding home.

Never did purchase the black hat though.

No, I'd  be afraid of the

No, I'd be afraid of the added wind resistance slowing me down.

Found a new Guru though:

http://www.surfingrabbi.com/

Longboard.. I have gone to

Longboard.. I have gone to Chabad on and off over the years.. I don't like their attitudes towards women.. so tend to go other directions for more permanent fit.. but it always is a quick stop for prayer.. and women can be barefoot too.. just also covered.. I don't mind that most of the time.. and I have walked in barefoot more than once to a chabad.. especially on Yom Kippur when I won't touch leather or animal products all day- white tallis (they don't like that on a woman), white dress... and NO SHOES...

As far as running goes, he's

As far as running goes, he's as lost and confused as most people. On Barefooting, he writes:

"The scientific proof supporting minimalistic running is mixed and, at best, inconclusive."

and then draws his own conclusions:

"A heavier-set runner needs support; casual runners are best off sticking to good, solid and supportive shoes."

Based on... what? Where's the "scientific proof" backing up his claim? He demands it for barefooting/minimalist running but gives the shod population a pass. That inconsistency invalidates his entire article right there.

His ideas about running are all centered around tidbits of archaic urban legends that originated with the shoe companies and got spread through their propaganda outlets (Runner's World). His concerns about religion may be just as poorly-informed and stem from similar sources, but I'm in no position to judge.

His attempt at finding a link between the two hobbies, though, is a complete FAIL, imo.

This wasn't the first article

This wasn't the first article lately to use barefoot running as a METAPHOR for something else in the cultural landscape. I think that means it really is entering the public imagination... people are starting to know about it as a possibility, a choice, not just a freakshow. I think that's good.

Yeah, the dude didn't really know much about running and the evidence (and lack of evidence) about footwear. So unfortunately his metaphor failed to take off for me.

But I did notice that part of his analogy between BF runners and the minyan groups was (I forget the exact words he used) a cultish or puritanical feel, a threatening intensity, which I felt was even less correct. All the BF runners I've met in reality (which would be exactly 2 people, but that's how rare it is) were hardly radicals. They just enjoyed the art of running BF. They weren't pressuring anyone to do anything. They weren't telling anyone they weren't hard core enough.

I think this kind of perception of BF runners is easily fed by the Internet... where it's easy (and fun) to be loudmouthed and pushy. And the loudest and pushiest troll is going to get way more attention than a gentleman.

That's why a level of civility is important when we're out there, online, talking about BFR)

(..not that I always manage that myself ..... :evil:

stomper wrote:I think this

stomper said:
I think this kind of perception of BF runners is easily fed by the Internet... where it's easy (and fun) to be loudmouthed and pushy. And the loudest and pushiest troll is going to get way more attention than a gentleman.

heheeee.... you think so? :)

A couple years ago, one of the most absurd posters at a political blog I used to visit actually got quoted in the NY Times as representative of online debate. He was, and still is, a huge troll, really a caricature, and had absolutely nothing in common with the average poster. But he was also gut-splitting funny and drew plenty of attention to himself, so of course he got the mention in the Times. I guess it's kind of like a cyberized man-bites-dog syndrome.