Irene Davis accepts position at Harvard

pbarker

Barefooters
Sep 19, 2010
DavisIrene.jpg

"It's always been a vision of mine to have a center focused on running and running injuries,” Davis says. “Boston is a mecca for runners, and I'll be immersed in one of the nation's hubs of science and medicine -- it doesn't get any better than that. The resources for collaboration are amazing, and I'll have access to a large population of potential subjects.”

She will help to launch the Spaulding National Running Center.

http://www.udel.edu/udaily/2011/dec/irene-davis-harvard-120210.html

Collaboration with Lieberman maybe

HmmmmmWonder how this is

Hmmmmm

Wonder how this is going to effect the Barefoot Running study I am currently participating in at U of Delaware.

That is great news for BFR. 

That is great news for BFR. Both she and Lieberman are proponents if BFR and worked together on the Nature study. They make a strong team.

LavaRunner wrote:Hmmmmm

LavaRunner said:
Hmmmmm Wonder how this is going to effect the Barefoot Running study I am currently participating in at U of Delaware.

I was wondering that too. Either she'll take it with her or the students will complete it there, hopefully. We'll see in a month eh?

No, I don't think this is

No, I don't think this is great news for the BFR movement. What we need are studies coming from different places, done by different people, getting similar results. Gathering all the researchers at Harvard will make this take longer since they'll be working together, or at least using much of the same resources. Then again, if I had he chance to work with soem of the best researchers in my field I'd jump at the opportunity. Great news for her, not so great for the rest of us, I think.

BlindboyHarvard has the

Blindboy

Harvard has the reputation so that any study Davis or Liebermen etal publish will be taken seriously and will spur others to follow-up.

University of Delaware, University of Calgary, Liberty University, and I am sure there are many others, will continue independent studies.

Dennis Bramble "for every one study on running there were 4000 on walking" BTR

All it will take now is time for those numbers to even out.

Yes, anything with Harvard on

Yes, anything with Harvard on it is going to be taken seriously but that's beside the point. What we need to approach "scientific proof" of barefoot running's superiority is a range of studies from many different sources, all more or less coming to the same conclusions. One study is not proof of anything, you need a critical mass of them to prove the results of the first one wasn't a coincidence.

I'm sure Davis and Lieberman will do great things together, if they are indeed going to be working together, but in the short term her working at Harvard is going to slow the process down.

I'm way less interested in

I'm way less interested in more barefoot running advocates than simply more running advocates. If you could get every researcher to say prescribing sessions with trainers would be more effective than pills for most illnesses, I'd be happy. Who cares about what researchers think about barefoot running?

Consensus is hard to

Consensus is hard to achieve.

Look at the mission statement for BRS.

The third point about educating the public, needs hard science to back up the arguments and the compelling personal stories. That comes from people like Davis, Lieberman. But they are not the only ones. Independent research will come out. Harvard does not have a monopoly on good science.

I care about what researchers think about BFR because the public cares.

The other day I was telling someone that if everyone who could run ran there would be no health care crisis. I just hope they learn to run with good technique.

Barefoot Runners Society
"Changing the running world one odd look at a time"

Mission:
  • To offer resources that unite barefoot and minimalist runners from around the country.
  • To promote barefoot running around the country and at race events as a competitive sport.
  • To educate the running public on the health benefits of barefoot and minimalist running.
  • To dispel the myths associated with barefoot running that negatively impact the sport.

It's so very important that

It's so very important that we have the research that backs up "our" claims. Once more and more people realize that it is a safe and healthy way to run, more and more people will take part. Right now, too many people have given up on running because of the constant pain and injuries they have experienced while running. More than likely, that pain and those injuries come from the types of shoes they have been wearing. If they were to know that the pain and injuries they have been experiencing are directly related to the shoes they have been/are wearing and that there are alternatives to running in the types of shoes they have been running in, then the more people will be able to take part in running, whether it be barefoot or minimal. So it is VERY important for the sport of running that everyone know about barefoot and minimalist running. Besides, the more people seeing other people running barefoot will reassure all of us that it is okay and acceptable, socially, to run barefoot.

• To educate the running public on the health benefits of barefoot and minimalist running.
PB, I do that everytime I boot up my computer.

Barefoot TJ

Barefoot TJ said:
Besides, the more people seeing other people running barefoot will reassure all of us that it is okay and acceptable, socially, to run barefoot.

I think this is so true. The thing that introduced me to it was seeing someone out running bf. My first bf run came that evening. Then I thought I made a fool out of myself one night when I was out running bf, singing and laughing and came across this guy (dressed all in black so I didn't see him ahead of time). Well I swear a few days ago I saw the same guy running bf. Apparently I was having enough fun to convince him to give it a shot. Especially in the more populated area, I think just getting out there and letting other people see you will make a huge difference.

ajbThat would make my day to

ajb

That would make my day to see someone start bfr after seeing me run

Here is a link to a video were Dr Davis give a shout out to BRS. It is a very interesting panel of running experts talking to shoe retailers.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PSuMC-nbbnk&NR=1

Thanks for sharing that, PB. 

Thanks for sharing that, PB. That was added to YouTube on September 5, one day before we went public, and I had no idea we had such a nice call out about the BRS and our chapters during this discussion.

I'm scheduled to go to my

I'm scheduled to go to my very first "barefoot running" seminar Wednesday evening at a local running store. I don't know much about it beyond the topic and venue. I was invited by a local running club VP with whom I ran a couple mornings and who really liked the way he ran when he had me pacing.

I'm hoping that I am not put in a position where I sound like a knudge or a raving BFberserker. I will be ready aqnd willing to speak to anyone who asks me for my experiences.

I hope whoever runs the clinic has their research info in hand, such as it is. I guess that Dr. Davis will do great things no matter where she's working and Harvard's imprimatur can't really hurt.