Impact Forces Greater in Nike Free than in Nike Pegasus

Barefoot TJ

Administrator
Staff member
Mar 5, 2010
Reactions: Sid
I read the article and what it seems to show is that there is a potential danger for people who switch from standard running shoes to something minimalist -- it's that those minimalist shoes may still provide enough cushion so that a heel strike is comfortable, and that leads to greater impact forces than what would happen if they were heel striking in a standard running shoe.

Which I suppose is another point in the favor of those who advocate that a person should learn to run barefoot, because it's only then that the feet get clear enough feedback to help correct the running stride. Without that clear feedback, someone who is habituated to running with a heel strike will continue to do so. The body's got a long muscle memory -- I know all about that with the bad habits that still re-appear from time to time in my golf swing. If I could just invent a device to give me a sharp electrical jolt every time I flip my hands...

Nike free has stack height of 21 mm (at heel) and 4mm drop. I wouldn't call that minimalist. Everything over 10 mm is just zero drop or racing flat (or trainer) to me. In my own classification system ultra minimalist has stack height of under 2mm, thin minimalist 2-4mm, minimalist 4-6mm, thick minimalist 6-8mm and very thick minimalist 8-10mm. ;) And barefoot shoes are shoes with no sole, just upper. :D

Support Your Club

Natural Running Center

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Raramuri7

Latest posts