I think this makes it official!

Birdy

Barefooters
Dec 19, 2010
Today was the first day that I was unable to stop myself from taking off my shoes at work!!! Yes, my feet were so uncomfortable in my shoes that I removed them and sat in my socks for the rest of the day. They were not even dress shoes...just Converse Chuck Taylors... but I couldn't take it anymore.

Ohhhh nooooo...I'm totally IN IT now, aren't I?

I have two different TP vivo

I have two different TP vivo barefoot shoes. I also have a VFF sprint I may wear. Usually work related when wearing them. Everytime I put one of those products on my foot. My foot gets uncomfortable. Infact today I had a sort of TOFP thingy. Of course once the shoe comes off it goes right away. My feet feel at home when they are barefoot, but any shoe forget about it. It's just part of the territory if you barefoot alot, but most also wear a shoe from time to time. A side from barefoot being must comfortable occasionally at stores I may use as my favorite the home made sandals I made, or I have an option of using paperfeet.

I like that tying method on

I like that tying method on your huaraches, HE. Does that put knots under the bottom front?

Barefoot TJ wrote:I like

Barefoot TJ said:
I like that tying method on your huaraches, HE. Does that put knots under the bottom front?

I never referred to them as huaraches. Just a very minimal home made sandal. The retail versions have way too much rubber sole for me. There are no knots under the sole. I hate between toes laces. This method is the ticket, and lace can be even more reinforced on the forefoot if desired. While I love them the less I use em the better. For limited store use only when needed.

as another can't have

as another can't have anything between my toes person- I LOVE these, I may copy how you laced them... I have been debating coming up with my own pair of sandals along these lines for awhile.. I had also thought about attaching knit or crocheted material to the edges of a sole.. still may try that as well.. I hate shoes, but have to have closed shoes on at work- hospital dietitian.

I feel for you, Cat, having

I feel for you, Cat, having to wear closed shoes. I'd have to have a doctor's not ;-) saying I couldn't wear them. Love the critter in your avatar, BTW. Very cute.

HE, do you have step-by-step photos of how you did that lacing? I would like to try it, but I can't wrap my mind around how you did it. :)

it's a health and safety

it's a health and safety thing.. so I can understand that. I work directly with the patient population and sometimes even with IV's and PEG tubes.

As to the critter- she's one of our Sugar Gliders. We do a lot of rescue work with them and have 7 permanent residents in the house at the moment (3 cages).

Amie

Barefoot TJ wrote:HE, do you

Barefoot TJ said:
HE, do you have step-by-step photos of how you did that lacing? I would like to try it, but I can't wrap my mind around how you did it. :)

Just watch this video on how to tie it. In the video is basically three steps. I did the first two. You can add the third step if you want more lace on the forefoot. Once you see the video it is very easy.

Thanks for sharing.  That's

Thanks for sharing. That's the video I watched a few week ago and followed to make the tying method I have now. Your method is much cleaner looking though. You don't have that cross "tying"going on at the front.

Yes that was my intentions to

Yes that was my intentions to make it cleaner looking. Once you complete heel, and do cross in front over forefoot. I spent some time deciding how I wanted to finish it off. I decided on just bringing the lace right back again the same way over the forefoot, and I did the final tie on each side at front of heel. They really are very comfortable. I really like how thin my sole is on them as well. I really should wear them more then I do, but I'm so stubborn about using my barefeet.

So that's a knot in the back,

So that's a knot in the back, I think one on the outside of one shoe and one on the inside of the other? You must have tied it very tight right there and then cut the excess off at the knot. I think I can handle that. My lacing is already wearing through on the bottom of the left outside, front. I need to get some more lacing, and since I will be relacing them, I'm going to try your way this time. I'm thinking about using deer skin laces. Someone said they were mega soft and really strong, more durable than these cotton/vinyl laces. You can get it at your local craft store.

What is that sole material you used? It looks about the thinnest stuff I have seen on a huarache (sandal). That's probably a 1mm thickness?

No both knots are basically

No both knots are basically at same place. Top of heel loops. The loops that change heel lace angle. Yes tie knot tight at top of heel loop, and then cut extra lace off.

I explained in my blog post as well, but I used gorilla tape from hardware store. It is like duct tape, but stronger and black in color. I used three layers of it. Sticky side together on two. Then a third layer to make it a charm. Cut this to personal foot shape using a cardboard trace. Once your tape is together, and cut to foot shape. Place holes for lacing in tape sole, and then install lacing. Then your all done. Of course do all that twice for those with two feet. I suggest doing each step together on each sole. So you mirror them both to look the same. So make both tape sole patterns first. Then proceed.

I've also considered using the strechty leather lace from BF Ted in Seattle, but I'm good to go for now. Plus I don't like his pricing.

At four points under soul on my sandal where lace goes through. I have a strip of gorilla tape over lace on bottom side. To reduce lace wear on ground. So actually no lace ever makes contact with the ground. I don't expect lace wear on under side to be a problem for the amount of time I wear the sandals.

Hope that helps. Good luck. Just use creative energy, and you'll be fine.

The lace on my home made

The lace on my home made sandal needs to be correct tightness. Otherwise sole material will move too much under your foot. The lace needs to be snug around your foot curvature. However it should still be nice, and comfortable wrapping your foot. Ya want their to be just a tiny bit extra sole material cut extending beyond your own foot print. This will allow room for lace through sole to not be too tight on skin. Also when tightening the lace that sole material should curl up to your skin a bit so your sandal stays in place. your basically making a mold for the bottom of your foot, but the material is super thin. Then the lace to hold it on......

Home made stuff I finds does not always work the way you want when you first make it. Sometimes you have to update your work possibly a few times to get to your intended final product. I think it took me 3-4 generations to get the whole package correct.

Thanks for all this helpful

Thanks for all this helpful info. I will definitely get some Gorilla tape for reinforcement under the sole. I don't like Ted's elastic straps. I think they are way too wide and would rub terribly between my toes. I could stand them at the other parts of the shoe though. I guess I have a lot of creative energy, but very little patience, but will give some of this a try when my laces finishes wearing through. ;-)

Support Your Club

Natural Running Center

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Raramuri7