I have reached a roadblock

bearfootDave

Barefooters
Feb 8, 2011
I have never been a runner. About 10 years ago i tried train for a marathon, got to about a 7 mile run, hurt my knee, and haven't been able to run over 3 miles since without severe knee pain (IT band syndrome).So I read Born to Run, thought it made sense, built up from walking around the block in August to 10 miles in November to a half marathon in February (my first race ever). Barefoot running is so much fun, I feel like I've been given the gift of running.The long training runs were slower on a smooth asphalt trail, but the race was on the cracked street asphalt of Pacific Coast Highway. If I'm honest I'd say that at racing speed (7:45 pace) the last 3 of the 13 miles stung (burned) on my feet. They were painful I think from the friction of the speed or the pavement. I didn't want to walk on them afterwards. However, the feet fully recovered within 3 days and I was back running barefoot again...I am running a marathon in June and have a goal to qualify for Boston to run in a Laker jersey within 2 years (I'll be 40). My dilemma is that I do not think I can train to run 26 miles barefoot. I want to run, run, run, but runs over 10-12 during weeks of 20+ miles are painful during the run to my feet. Any lesser distance, including speedwork, is so fun. I am extremely frustrated at my painful (but not impossible) feet after 10 miles. I have recently purchased Nike free 3.0(comfy but too narrow), and now the merrill trail gloves. After a 10 miler in the trail gloves I have two bleeding blisters on my heels and a few cuts on the top of my right foot behind the big toe. I tried running in them again and wound up carrying them on a 6 miler after 2 miles. I got a few chuckles from the other runners who recognized me carrying shoes... Am I being too impatient with my bare feet? Has anyone else hit this barefoot roadblock?Can anyone suggest something other than patience? (or just grin and bare it) (I explained to a friend the other day that the beauty of running in bare feet was that the sole will not let the body progress faster than it should, so no injuries...but my soul wants to go farther and faster. Should this apply at my progression?)

I might recommend running

I might recommend running less frequently but longer runs. Like 3 days a week with a full days rest between them to let your feet recover.

However, know that barefoot may compromise your time goals. Have you thought about running 1/2 bf and 1/2 in shoes?

I think you are progressing

I think you are progressing too quickly, and I also think you are pushing it too quickly. Some of us require a longer transitioning phase than others. Barefoot Todd just ran his 100th barefoot marathon, so there's hope for us all.

I like Abide's suggestion. Lessen the amount of days you run, but increase your miles on those days you do run.

And don't be too disappointed. After all, it was barefoot running that allowed you to run again.

Support Your Club

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hadashi jon