I have adapted to below freezing temps.

Barefoot Gentile

Barefooters
Apr 5, 2010
Fairfield, CT
Even though it's spring, I have been running in 32 degrees and below for the last month, I run early in the morning. I have hit a comfort zone running in cold temps. This morning i ran 5 miles, 25 degrees, and has absolutely not dis-comfort or numbess.

I decided to start my barefoot running early this year so around Mid-Jan. i ditched the footwear. I think my feet just reached maxim conditioning that we all look forward to, and glad it's super early this year.

Congrats! It takes a lot to

Congrats! It takes a lot to get your feet conditioned that much to be comfortable in these cold temps!

Awesome, at least you know

Awesome, at least you know you can start earlier next winter. What about snow and ice? Will you not run in those conditions?

Snow and Ice, a totally

Snow and Ice, a totally different animal! I had a bad experience with ice last winter, so won't make that mistake again. I will be honest and say snow is really tough for me, to the point where I can't run in it. But as I continue to ease and expose my feet to freezing temps I do notice my tolerance becomes higher each year, so the work I put in I do see great gains. Snow is my next challenge for next year.

I have had great success with

I have had great success with getting down below the freezing mark, but I just can't tolerate the snow, ice, and wetness that some of you can.

What I don't get is how some people can actually lose toes in snow from frostbite and others don't. You hear about these strories where someone is lost in the wilderness in the dead of winter. Is it because the ones that don't suffer frostbite are actually running, circulating blood, warmth, and oxygen to their feet and toes, whereas, if you just sit there shivering then you are likely to suffer frostbite? If so, then if you find yourself lost in the wilderness, RUN!

Congratulations,

Congratulations, BarefootGentile! That is quite an accomplishment.

This was my first winter as a barefoot runner, and I had the opposite experience. I ran barefoot throughout the fall as temperatures fell, and thought I was getting used to it. We had snow just before Thanksgiving and I ran in it (some of it was slushy on the ground). It was fun, but I paid the price later with very painful hotspots. I continued to run in the relative cold (almost always above freezing), but my tolerance decreased. I continued to get hotspots (even when I didn't get them in warmer weather -- the old "numb foot is a dumb foot" phenomenon). In mid January, I went running on a dry 35-38 F day, and got the worst blood blisters (my first from barefoot running), the kind that under several layers of skin. After that, I decided to run on the treadmill whenever the temperature was less than 50F. Next winter I will try Ken Bob's advice to do short runs outside in the cold (maybe just 1/4 to 1 mile) alternating with running on the treadmill during the same "run". Although I love running outside year round, I like running too much to risk injury by running any significant amount in minimal shoes (already happened 3 times in my experience).

TJ, I think your point about individuals varying quite a bit in their cold tolerance is right on. In my case, I think my extremities tend to be naturally cold (cold hands and barefeet, even when otherwise warmly dressed indoors, but I don't have Raynaud's or anything like that). Some of us just might not be cut out to be cold weather barefoot runners.

Another topic that has been discussed here and elsewhere quite a bit is hotspots/blisters and running in wet conditions. My hypothesis (at least as it applies to me) is that it's not so much the moisture itself or softening of the skin it might cause, but the cold/numbing effect it can have, even when the temperature is not very cold (say, in the 50s [F] or possibly even warmer).

I have decided no outdoor

I have decided no outdoor BAREFOOT running in winter for me.. BECAUSE of where I live- once the snow starts it is typically present on my road until spring... and the other roads have tons of salt... so I'll be minimalist running in winters.. to protect my feet.. then again I am a person who gets very cold very easily... and if my feet are cold so does the rest of me.. thus I wear wool socks unless its warm enough to go barefoot... running helps.. but I can't imagine it helping with the super cold.. I ran inside and then jogged to teh mailbox and back over the compacted ice path where we snowblow next to the driveway for walking on... and realized my feet were numb before I got there... that was my only below freezing attempt outside bare.. I am going to use my minimalist shoes unless the ground warms up, but my plan is to take them off for part of the run and see how I do on the different surfaces as soon as the ground is dry and above freezing

Congrats, Gentile. I've had a

Congrats, Gentile. I've had a similar experience though not gone quite as low as you... I think I've done 27 or 28F. I think the keys to success for me were: a) not stopping running barefoot (in my area, I was able to run all the way through the winter); b) carefully noting how I responded to conditions; and c) wearing lots of clothes to keep the rest of my body warm.

A little bit below freezing, even a dusting of snow or occasional patches of ice, are doable and even fun for me. Much worse is something like slush, even if the air temp is much higher than freezing. Water just sucks the heat out of my feet.

Support Your Club

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Raramuri7