I am going for it.

LavaRunner

Chapter Presidents
Jun 4, 2010
Some saw my plans to prepare for the Annapolis 10 miler, I have been debating on whether I would run in VFFs or Barefoot.

I AM DOING IT BAREFOOT!

Today I headed out for my last training run and decided 6 barefoot. My earlier plan was to take the conservative approach and do 8 in VFFs. By taking the barefoot path what I found was amazing.

I headed out the door and left the shoes behind. Since this week is sort of supposed to be a taper, I thought I would do a nice 10ish minute pace but the feet felt great even after Sundays barefoot 12 miler and my form was ON so I opened it up a little. I was running a 9 minute pace and still was feeling the groove and opened it up a little more. Before I knew it I was blasting out an 8 minute pace and held that for 3.5 miles other than about 6 lights I had to wait at. Then I slowed it down to 9 and finished out the run. I was on fire. For me maintaining an 8 minute pace for any length of time is good but 3.5 miles. Seriously? How cool is that!

I returned home from the 6 miles feeling like I could easily went 10 miles, I was fresh and ready. I Can’t wait until this weekend’s race. Doing it Barefoot is the icing on the cake and the reason I can do it anyway because this weekend is the celebration of my one year completely devoted to minimalist/Barefoot running. The previous 3 years I tested the water but after the Annapolis 10 miler 2009 and all the pain I had training and running, I jumped in with both bare feet. Without shoes, I have set personal records on speed, endurance, miles per week, miles per year and length of time without loss of running time due to injuries. Some cool PR’s And I love running today more than I ever have.

I have some other pretty lofty goals for this year that will break even more PR's like run a marathon distance, run a 50K and possibly, almost crazily, I might tackle a 50 miler. Bit one PR at a time.

I find I have more fun at

I find I have more fun at races if I do them barefoot. I'm sure you'll find the same to be true.

I used to think I was sacrificing speed when I ditched the shoes. That was until I completely blew my 5K PR out of the water barefoot. Not only that, but I had way more fun! Now I am a committed barefoot racer.

I've yet to race barefoot or

I've yet to race barefoot or race at all for that matter. Anyway, good luck with the race, sounds like it's going to be a lot of fun.

sweet. i love that euphoria

sweet. i love that euphoria when everything just starts working.

i've done my last 2 road races barefoot. i was a bit nervous both times (what if this is the one day out of 1000 i get cut? what if i embarrass the movement? [aghast expression] ), but both times ended up saying "well, f**k it, barefoot just f**king feels better." And it turned out fine. Gave me something to talk about when I passed people (a new experience).

make sure to give yourself a good rest this week... might be a good time to watch "chariots of fire"? or run lola run?

I think if you injure

I think if you injure yourself racing barefoot, you aren't going to turn anyone off to the sport. The only people who will be turned off are the ones who had already made up their mind that barefoot is bad. It's not like they needed any help deciding that though

Stomper,You made me want to

Stomper,

You made me want to watch these 2 movies again immediatly. Too bad I have work to do right now...

Other suggestions of great running movies?

sloutre wrote:You made me

sloutre said:
You made me want to watch these 2 movies again immediatly. Too bad I have work to do right now... Other suggestions of great running movies?

started a new thread over in "barefoot pub" area

Lava - You're on fire... you

Lava - You're on fire... you Rock! :D

Bad puns aside.... I've said it before... I'll say it again - You are my role model!

Have a great run... kick ass!

S. Pimp.

I am so excited for you,

I am so excited for you, Lava! You are going to rock it! Good luck!

Tonight teaching SCUBA class

Tonight teaching SCUBA class there was a couple in the class that the conversation turned to running, It turns out they are running Annapolis too and when I said I was running it barefoot, I could have run a Bus through the gaping holes in their faces. It was worth every moment running. Then when I said I ran 12 miles barefoot this past sunday they couldn't believe it and wanted to see my feet. Of course I really have no "Signs" of running barefoot other that a little tougher feel to the feet, no cuts, no scrapes, no blisters. I am sure they were wondering if I were really for real.

Well, I told them they best be around the finish line at 90-100 minutes and they can see for themselves. No Pressure now ;) God I am getting stoked for this and I really don't like races.

Maybe you're excited because

Maybe you're excited because it's your first barefoot race? It really changes the whole feel of the events for me now.

Sounds awesome! I can't wait

Sounds awesome! I can't wait to read your race report. Best of luck!!

I  can't wait for the race

I can't wait for the race report. I plan to run a ten miler next May so I will be eager for the inspiration. I ran it in Protons this past year and I got the worst blisters possible (in between every toe). I wasn't ready for bare, but next year! I used to worry about messing up and DNF'ing, but I run on roads and it's so unlikely that I would not be carried by the moment. Trails are one thing, but a road, even a chip and seal I could get through anything. I've done 2 5K's barefoot and could not be a worse ambassador for the sport - fat, slow, wearing dorky clothes - but people are supportive and encouraging.

Don't like this Taper crap.I

Don't like this Taper crap.

I feel like I'll explode

My adrenaline is in high gear

I am fidgety

I pee a lot

I want to RUN!

I am going for a short bike ride, I can't stand it.

LavaRunner wrote:Don't like

LavaRunner said:
Don't like this Taper crap.

I feel like I'll explode

My adrenaline is in high gear

I am fidgety

I pee a lot

I want to RUN!

I am going for a short bike ride, I can't stand it.

The signs of an addict :)

LMAO, Abide, you got that one

LMAO, Abide, you got that one right ;)

I went an bought me a new pair of shorts with Gel pockets. Wanted them for awhile.

Tried on a Zoot Suit, I looked good in it, Maybe later

I gotta run!

Support Your Club

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Raramuri7

Latest posts