I am a new man

Hey everybody!

I am glad to now be a member of the Barefoot Runners Society. I have been lurking for many months now!

A little background on myself...I am currently a senior in college where I am finishing up my senior internship. I am an Athletic Training major and hope to soon be a Certified Athletic Trainer within the next 6-8 months depending on when I take my Board of Certification examination. I won't officially graduate until May, so I also will not be able to officially use my credentials until then.

I am a barefoot and minimalist runner depending on time of day and weather/temperature when I run. I prefer to go barefoot when possible to help with feedback, however, I live in Milwaukee and it is not the cleanest city sometimes. When I am not running barefoot I have an arsenal of minimalist footwear ranging from Luna originals, Vibrams (KSO, Classic, and sprints) Vivobarefoot Neos and Merrell Sonic Gloves. I also am unable to go barefoot or wear Vibram's during clinical work so I usually stick with the Neo's. Many of the football players that I take care of refer to them as my ''Batman Shoes".

I feel like an outcast often times when it comes to my views about barefoot & minimalist running currently. I hope to be a greater influence or advocate for barefoot running as I gain more notoriety and credibility in my profession. Imagine sitting through lectures and exams where I had to learn about and be tested on information that I believed to be false.

I feel like I am rambling now so I will stop.

Oh and I have slowly built myself upto about 40 minute runs while barefoot now and I will be running a marathon next May, most likely in Lunas or barefoot.

Welcome, AK!  I can imagine

Welcome, AK! I can imagine how difficult exam-time could be. Just answer the opposite of what you know to be right. Hee.

Alaska:Welcome to the crew. 

Alaska:

Welcome to the crew. Your experience sounds a lot like mine. I've found that the folks who actually engage with me in conversation will see the logic and practical experience I've had and at least think that while I might be crazy, I might have some kind of a point in this barefoot running thing. I'm not one of the raving lunatics who stands on a street corner yelling at shod people and thumping them on the head with shoes to make my point. I like for my performance and ability to catch people's attention and create honest inquisitiveness about why I would do such an unusual thing.

I hope your training platform will give you some similar opportunities. Glad to have you here with us.