Humboldt county, CA

• Thread starter Humboldt-explorer
  • Start date

Humboldt-explorer

Hi.

I've been barefooting in gym for about two years. A few months ago I decided to start taking my barefeet into everyday life. I only wear minalmilist shoes at work after work shoes come off. I bought some vibram five fingers in early fall time in 2010. Then for some reason after buying thos shoes I decided I wanted to start barefoot running.

I started running barefoot on treadmill. Then decided to move the running over to the beach barefoot. Then I went back to treadmill barefoot. Now I'm alternating barefoot running between University track a softer surface, and asphalt flat trails on the following run. I'm only up to two miles on these surfaces, but each run gets longer now. Need to allow my calves more time to acclimate, and the skin on bottom of feet to toughen up more.

My goal is to do a local fun run at the end of January. I will be choosing between a 8 3/4 miles or 5 3/4. Their is a 3 mile choice as well. Though I'm shooting for the 5 mile. I'll do the 8 if I have enough time to condition my feet for it. Kind of think 5 might be best though as my first fun run.

I was never a runner prior to this experience I speak of.......

I'll enjoy reading other more experienced BFR thoughts throughout the forums.

Boldt - welcome to the

Boldt - welcome to the family. I will encourage you to take your development slowly and gradually, as everyone did for me, and to which I did not pay any attention. So I've been sitting it out with a left foot stress fracture for nearly 6 weeks now. Be smarter than me - take it slowly, and listen to your body when it tells you to rest or to back off a little.

I never heard of the bay to

I never heard of the bay to breakers. I checked it out online. It certainly sounds fun. The problem is I be preparing for the Kinetic sculpture race for the end of May. It is a time consuming project. So I'm not sure how much barefoot running I will be doing in May, or prior to that date. If I can work it in I'll contact you.

We have a fun run up here in Humboldt at end of Jan if you, or any other runners are interested......

http://www.trinidadtoclambeach.com/ - fun run(could possibly be raining here).

http://kineticgrandchampionship.com/index.php - Humboldt kinetic race (not running related)