Huaraches on etsy.com

barefoot.zumba.runner

Barefooters
Apr 3, 2010
I've been in contact with Niki from AR on etsy.com, who makes some nice looking huaraches for adults and kids http://www.etsy.com/listing/45751954/huarache-minimalist-sandals

Just thought I'd share the resource, hopefully she'll be on her way over here to BRS to talk up her products. I plan to put in an order this weekend:)

I look forward to reading

I look forward to reading your review on them.

I didn't know where else to

I didn't know where else to ask....several topics on Hurraches....and if this is a question that's been asked before, please direct me to the proper thread....I was wondering what the "chaffing" or "blister" factor is on Hurraches with the rubbing of the lace at the big-toe....and what people are doing to minimize this potentiality?

I was wondering the same

I was wondering the same thing actually. I traced my feet and am sending them down, so don't have the sandals yet. I think it probably toughens that area eventually, the wear from that part of the sandal. Though initially (just like putting flip flops on after winter) it'll be a little tender/sensitive in that area. I'll keep you posted, though it might be a while. I'm slowly going about this process, due to financial setbacks:p

I've also seen lacing that doesn't go through the toes, I can't seem to find it. I'll post it when I get a hold of it.

found

found it

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gFuUtsA5oew

That looks

That looks interesting....I'm wondering if they would slip forward...oh, well...just have to try them when I can run again :-D.

I have to be honest, I'm not

I have to be honest, I'm not wearing my homemade huaraches anymore. I already had these little callouses under my 2nd toe (almost between the 1st & 2nd). I do have a bit of Morton's toe and think it may be related to that. The cord I chose, which was not very soft, definitely irritated that callous area a LOT on one foot. I've thought about getting a softer cord or some soft leather to see if that's better; not sure if I'll pursue it further or not. I've also thought about trying the lacing that Zumba linked to though I have the same concern; would it be as stable as between-the-toe lacing?

Maybe Jason will weigh in,

Maybe Jason will weigh in, having run 68 miles in his huaraches with injinjis over the weekend. I took my homemade pair out for a spin again yesterday (with injinjis) and had no friction complaints over 4 miles, using the slip-in/slip-off tying method, and my only problem was my knots slipping, so I had to snug the laces up twice (thereby giving the mosquitoes an opportunity to pounce!)

In the past, I've noticed that overstriding (especially downhill) leads to more irritation between the toes, so I'm actually looking to wear my huaraches more to keep myself honest.

On a related note, I'm planning tonight to implement a suggestion from the google group, and add a 'rockstop' layer to the forefoot of one of my pairs. I think, though, that I will want to put some kind of thin footbed (maybe just cotton?) over that when I'm done...have to mull it over.

Are the injinji's to reduce

Are the injinji's to reduce friction Art? Keep us posted on how the rockstop layer works. I'm curious about this.

Cube, according to the woman who posted the youtube vid, they didn't slip. I think like Art mentioned, stride will have a lot to do with how your huaraches ride on your foot. I could see overstriding causing this laceup option to cause forward slippage AND can see how overstriding could cause friction between the toes. Soon you'll be out there running again, be sure to report with your wheel barrel shoes when you take them out for a spin;)

Beth, do you wear them around for walking? running? both? Maybe walkign around in them will help toughen that area?

The injinjis do seem to

The injinjis do seem to provide some degree of cushion against the laces. I think this could also be helped by using flatter laces. Another suggestion I will be trying out is to pull the center out of my para-cord and just use the 'sheath', which will lie flatter (and maybe slip less at the knot).

Either way, though, if you're not landing with your foot relatively flat to the ground and under your center of gravity, you're going to pull against the laces and are more likely to end up with chafing.

Those are very cute!  My

Those are very cute! My invisible shoes... not so much. I have not had a problem with the cord rubbing in my invisible shoes. The ones that come with the kit are round and "roll" rather than rub. Take that for what it's worth, though. I didn't put 68 miles on them; more like 10.

My plantar skin on the balls of my feet has gotten tender after around 8 miles in them... and I think it is chafing, not stride-related. I noticed that the vibram material under the balls of my feet was damp. I think sweat was running down my legs and feet, then landing and pooling between my feet and the sole. A pair of injinjis would fix that up nicely. I have no idea if this is the reason that Jason wore them, though.

on the ones I just made, I

on the ones I just made, I used flat boot laces....I've not run in them yet....I've not run in anything in a month :-/...soon though....Almost healed up :)...but I won't be able to bring myself to wear them running for a little while...the bottoms of my feet are itching for some nice running :-D But I will take them for a spin shortly after that!....incidentally, here are the ones I made from the sidewalls of an old wheel-barrow tire (about 3mm thick) and 72 in boot laces...I bought nothing, all what I had laying around.

38618_1556352749324_1250394823_31561958_4847638_n.jpg

Those look nice, Nate.  You

Those look nice, Nate. You are handy with the homemade footwear. We should hire you to make a line for the BRS. ;-)

Zumba--I haven't run in them

Zumba--I haven't run in them at all; I'm still strictly BF for my running. In fact, I wonder if it's BECAUSE I was walking that they bothered me. I think my walking stride is sometimes hard on my feet since I naturally heel strike. I've been working on a more gentle walking stride.

The thing is, I already had callouses in that area. They're these small, round, weird callouses. So I probably would have been fine if I didn't have those; my lacing just hit RIGHT there on a part of my foot that's already sensitive. I'm actually liking the look of Nate's boot laces; those look softer than the crappy cord I bought.

I'd like to say I choose

I'd like to say I choose them specifically because they were flat, thinking that they might not "rub" if they lay flat....but that would be a lie to make me look like I thought about it more than I did :). I just took them off a pair of old boots :-D....it's what I had lying around.

I used the "no knot" slip-on method posted here on another thread...and the extra, I could have made a bow...but decided to bring it up around the ankle for personal aesthetics :-D

And TJ....I actually wouldn't mind making things for people...

Nate, I can see you also have

Nate, I can see you also have yours tied so that the toe lace comes more straight back up the foot, rather than taking that immediate diagonal across...I'm gonna have to try that.

Nate, would that be MY famous

Nate, would that be MY famous ;) "no-knot" method with the two holes in between each toe? If so, I'm so glad someone was able to use it! I really do need to try again with a different cord, because I was enjoying wearing my huaraches just to walk around and go places. If I could find a cord that worked better (but still have the security of having it laced between the toes) I'd be pretty happy.

Yes Beth....I thought it was

Yes Beth....I thought it was yours, and I would have said so, but I wasn't 100% sure, and I didn't feel like taking the time to go back through the threads to make sure :-D...yes, the two holes, and then the flat laces lay right on top of each other.

Yeah, Art, I used the "slip on method" for tying, although it doesn't really look like it, because instead of cutting the laces, I like the idea of having more "cordage" for a variety of reasons...and just wrapped the extra around the ankle.

Okay, this has inspired me to

Okay, this has inspired me to try to find a cord that works better. I just ordered some of this leather lace. It's supposed to be very soft and very strong. I got 3/16" width. Hope it works!!