Howdy

Mike4321

Barefooters
Jul 28, 2011
I am a 39 yo barefoot runner. I ditched the footwear about 2 months ago and have no intention of going back. I used to have chronic shin splints and they seem to have vanished.

I tried some hurachees(sp) over the past few weeks but always ditched them a few blocks into the run. In fact my ankles started hurting while I wore them. So I think it's pretty strictly BF for me (at least until winter).

Welcome to the family, Mike. 

Welcome to the family, Mike. This is a great place to ask questions of a lot of thoroughly experienced barefoot and minimalist runners. I encourage you to take full advantage of the resources here, and I'll bet they'll be as valuable for you as they have been for me.

Phil

Welcome, Mike!  Glad to hear

Welcome, Mike! Glad to hear of your recovery from shin splints. Another success story!

Mike4321 wrote:In fact my

Mike4321 said:
In fact my ankles started hurting while I wore them.

I wonder if your form was being altered by wearing them. I am a bit sensitive to it now, but when I wear any other footwear other than my VFFs, I can feel how the shoes encourage my foot placement to change. Most of the time it's because the heel is like new, or is overly worn and it feels like work to keep my feet landing and moving the way they do barefoot or minimal. It brings to mind something from my youth. Totally unrelated to running, but....

I used to do drill team performances. To bring the rifle to the "right (or left) shoulder arms" position often necessitated getting the thing around one's face. Always seemed easier to just move your head back a bit, but it looks like crap, besides being a lazy way to do it. You have to "bring the rifle around your head, not your head around the rifle".

In this case, you have to make the shoe work for your running, not let the shoe change your footwork. Just takes being aware of exactly how you move with your feet bare, and do not let the shoe change how that works. At least the huaraches aren't a very stiff leather, so it shouldn't be a mighty struggle.

John T.

Thanks for the welcome. I'm

Thanks for the welcome. I'm sure I will get a ton of info here.

Dunetraveller, you are probably right that the sandals are making me change my form to some degree. It is suprising since they are so light. I might start trying to work with them again as winter nears.

Mike

Rifle drill team!?  Now THAT

Rifle drill team!? Now THAT is cool!

And can I say sexy, or is

And can I say sexy, or is that my bad?

Support Your Club

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Raramuri7