How to get your shod spouse to run BF....or BFR101

SeaMonkey

Barefooters
Nov 4, 2012
Scappoose, Oregon
So I have been married for 15 years and my spouse started barefoot running about 2 years ago. She immediately started preaching the benefits of BF running and pushing me to get on-board. Of course I resisted (because what husband is going to admit to listening to the advice of anyone, much less his own spouse lol). But I did listen with a look of nonchalance so as to not look too interested (cant let her think I am really listening as it might destroy all that mankind has worked on for centuries). After 2 years of nonchallance, I finally tried barefoot just to see what it was all about. But of course I had to go off on my own and not let her know my intentions (if I didnt like it, I surely could never live down the fact that I had ever had any interest). And I did like it, and I did make a mental note try and work in a short conversation with my spouse to break the news in gently. But of course it ended up all over Facebook and the BFR Spciety and now everyone knows lol.

So today we went on our second run together, the first with only us two. It was splendid. We ran on Wildwood trail in Portland Oregon. It was wonderful as we started with the rain coming down and the muddy trails. No I really mean it was very awesome. Since there were so many rocks along the way I was wearing my new MOC3's and running behind the master lol. Then it started, "Lift your knees", "Roll your arms in a circle", "Run through the puddles, dont jump over them". On and on and on. It was a glorious day and a wonderful experience even with all the prodding and instruction. I even tried a few of the techniques she was telling me about (Not that I will ever admit it to her lol). Thank you Jen for your loving instruction.......now all I need is a good pair of earplugs...... lolololo

So for all of you who have spent years trying to convince your spouse to try BF running, keep talking and it will eventually sink in.....not that they will admit to it lol

Anyone else have any success stories about getting your spouse to try BFR?

now all I need is a good pair of earplugs...... lolololo
Hahahahaha! She does talk a lot doesn't she? She talks more in person than I post on here. Lol! Oh, and I've got some shooting hearing protectors (earmuff like things) although I don't know that it will block her out enough... You may still here faint whisperings of what you are doing wrong and what you can do instead. :D

Reactions: jldeleon
Careful now Brine Shrimp. I don't live with her so I can get away with saying she talks a lot. You on the other hand...:D Oh, and Jen texted me today after your alls run today, good job, but isn't 4 miles a bit far for you as a newb to bf and minimalist running? I would just hate to see your exuberance to earn you a TMTS injury. Anyhow, glad you all had a great run.

Thanks for your concern Nick my friend. I will definitely not be pushing it beyond my limits. Of course who ever knows where the limit is until you have gone beyond it and are hurting lol. We did the 4 miles at an easy pace. According to the GPS it was about 15 min miles. Feeling pretty good this morning and ready for another run tonight while Jen is at work.

Good man, glad you're feeling good and enjoying it. Does this mean Jen is going to be dragging you to more of the group runs? Were you doing the Jingle Bell Run?

Reactions: jldeleon
Yes, he is signed up for it too! I'm excited because I am pretty sure this will be the biggest turn out for a group run that we have had!!!

Reactions: NickW
So I have been married for 15 years and my spouse started barefoot running about 2 years ago.

You know we know who Jen is, right? I mean, you refer to "your spouse" like she's some sort of shadowy entity to which we can never look directly at, lest we turn to salt, or something...well, OK, maybe that's spot on, but that's beside the point :D

Then it started, "Lift your knees", "Roll your arms in a circle", "Run through the puddles, dont jump over them"

When she gets to "OK, now flap your arms like a bird...good gooood.....now make farting noises with your mouth" know that she's totally jerking your chain and those have nothing to do with good BFR technique...they make BFR more enjoyable, but they don't make you better at BFR per se..

Apparently my mail lady stuck my new unshoes in the wrong mail box, so I will not be using those for the race like planned unless one of my neighbors decides to cough them up and give them back to me before then. I will have to use the ones pictured in my avatar. Should be a fun group run I think. We have like 7-8 people signed up already right?

So for all of you who have spent years trying to convince your spouse to try BF running, keep talking and it will eventually sink in.....not that they will admit to it lol

Have been talking about it and doing that for over two years now and no luck with getting my wife to run barefoot. Not giving up (yet).

Daniel,

maybe you and other guys can get your wife prego and see if she'll, they'll go bf then??? ;)

why would you roll your arms in circles? maybe lift your feet and not your knees.
you can talk back and tell her to stop pushing off, even though i know she hears my voice in her head when she runs.

Knees, feet, whatever.

I stop and say to him, "Did you hear that??? It's Mike's voice!" :)

As for the circular rolling of the arms...I have my training secrets...and that's what they will stay...secrets. ;)

I knew I was had when she told me I had to jump into the middle of a big puddle and then stop, jump up and down 10 times while flapping my arms and giggling like a girl. Knowing Jen like I do, of course I did just as she instructed and her camera phone was going off and she was giggling louder than I was. I am afraid she is holding those pics for ransom or we will soon be viewing them on FB. Not sure which but she always has devious plans. As for calling her my spouse, yes you are correct, I should have just come right out and used her name except that in some social circles we frequent, her name tends to send everyone scampering for a hiding place or worse lol. Not that sweet little Jen ever deserves that kind of notariety. However, I am pulling out the puddle jumping routine from my list of techniques, as well as the ostrich-one-legged-squat warm ups (totally another story).

I knew I was had when she told me I had to jump into the middle of a big puddle and then stop, jump up and down 10 times while flapping my arms and giggling like a girl. Knowing Jen like I do, of course I did just as she instructed and her camera phone was going off and she was giggling louder than I was. I am afraid she is holding those pics for ransom or we will soon be viewing them on FB. Not sure which but she always has devious plans. As for calling her my spouse, yes you are correct, I should have just come right out and used her name except that in some social circles we frequent, her name tends to send everyone scampering for a hiding place or worse lol. Not that sweet little Jen ever deserves that kind of notariety. However, I am pulling out the puddle jumping routine from my list of techniques, as well as the ostrich-one-legged-squat warm ups (totally another story).

There are plenty of people who will agree that jumping in the middle of the puddles is a MUST!

There are plenty of people who will agree that jumping in the middle of the puddles is a MUST!
Sadly David, this is very true. I can't resist and I run for nearly every puddle I come across. Heck, during the winters this area in the park near my house that I run in floods, where do you think I go? Of course I have to run through it. Last week it was probably close to two feet deep and I had to turn back as it was too deep for the jogging stroller, it was dang near submerged to where my sons feet were almost in the water... Wife would have killed me...

Support Your Club

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hadashi jon