How do you wear your timing chip?

miker

Chapter Presidents
Jul 26, 2010
I've seen small straps on some peoples ankles. Is this what you put your chip on? Where do you get them, or does everyone make their own?

I guess I could punch a couple of holes in my skin and run those zip ties through. ;) Except for the bleeding (and the initial pain) it would be funny to watch them cut the ties to remove my chip at the finish. :)

Small dog collar works for

Small dog collar works for me.

I safety pinned mine to my

I safety pinned mine to my capris, but it was cooler then. Not sure how it would work with shorts.

I used velcro and made my own

I used velcro and made my own ankle straps. At first I thought it would be uncomfortable while running, but I really hardly notice it.

I'd rather use the strap than have a bib chip since you can't fold it at all. Wearing the bib on my shorts unfolded is much more of a nuisance than the strap!

I think if I didn't have

I think if I didn't have RoadID, I'd try the paper tape that you can buy in the first aid section of (most) stores. The kind that is paper-y (instead of woven cloth) might even be okay to wash off hairy ankles?

Ankle strap that I ordered

Ankle strap that I ordered online a few years ago, and it's worked really well in the races I've done. I never notice it during a race. I think there are several makers of ankle straps. I suspect they are popular for triathletes.

If you had taken the time to

If you had taken the time to search this forum you would see others have wondered the same (see here:www.barefootrunners.org/build2/forum-topic/timing-chips#comment-7891).

Personally I use a velcro strap too. It is inexpencive and durable. I have used it in a 25k offroad race which included pleanty of mud and water without any problems. I put an illustrated discription in the above mentioned thread.

No harm, no foul, Mike. 

No harm, no foul, Mike. Besides, if we kept digging up the old threads, can you imagine how long they would get? Now who want to read all that. This way, at least it makes it look like we've been busy around here, right?

Forgot to add:  I reccomend

Forgot to add: I reccomend modifying whatever kind of ankle strap you choose to carry emergency ID. If you plan to race with a strap, you'll probably be better off training with it too.

Barefoot TJ wrote:No harm, no

Barefoot TJ said:
No harm, no foul, Mike. Besides, if we kept digging up the old threads, can you imagine how long they would get? Now who want to read all that. This way, at least it makes it look like we've been busy around here, right?
I agree with TJ. There are a bunch of topics that keep coming up over the years, but it's the interaction on a forum that gives it life, not just the information.

What think i cool is this

What think i cool is this year at the Marine Corps Marathon they are timing with "B tags" that are part of your bib. No wearing a D or Chrono etc. I'm a Road ID guy myself, If I have to use a Chrono Track, I use thin zip ties to attach it to the RID.

Bib chips are no fun for

Bib chips are no fun for shirtless short legged runners, as they cannot be folded.

Can you attach a bib tag to

Can you attach a bib tag to your shorts and still have it register?

Yes, but it must remain

Yes, but it must remain unfolded. I am 5' 5 1/2", and have the same inseam (28") as my 5'2" wife.

My thighs are about as short as they come, and the unfolded bib is pretty large for me.

On the other hand, despite my bare feet nobody will ever mistake me for a Kenyan!

See?

From the world record setting barefoot run in May Grand Rapids Mr. Robillard's school cafeteria.

(Photo credit Mr. Dama)

Longboard wrote:Yes, but it

Longboard said:
Yes, but it must remain unfolded. I am 5' 5 1/2", and have the same inseam (28") as my 5'2" wife.

My thighs are about as short as they come, and the unfolded bib is pretty large for me.

On the other hand, despite my bare feet nobody will ever mistake me for a Kenyan!

See?

From the world record setting barefoot run in May Grand Rapids Mr. Robillard's school cafeteria.

(Photo credit Mr. Dama)

That's a great picture!

Back row:  Jason, Shacky,

Back row: Jason, Shacky, Art.

Middle row: Longboard

Front row: Dama, Tender Toes Mark, Dirty Toes Joe, Urban Sage.

You should see my mug now.  I

You should see my mug now. I took a cue from Bourbon and decided to get some facial hair. Plan to grow it out until after I complete my upcoming ultra. I'm kinda digging it and may keep it a bit longer though.

Support Your Club

Natural Running Center

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Raramuri7