Hip Pain. Now what?

Jaqa

Barefooters
Sep 9, 2015
Hi BF's!

I hope someone can help me here. I have developed a hip pain in the last few weeks and yesterday it flared up quite big.

It is at the back of the hip joint right on the bone. When I press into it I feel no muscle there, just bone and it is not sore at all pressing very hard into it.

I went for a 2:45 trail run yesterday, just slow and working on technique. Wearing my brilliant Inov8 TrailRoc 235's. I started off feeling sore in the left hip and was questioning my decision to run. After 20 minuntes my left glute started cramping at the top of the muscle (waist band height). I was really concentrating on my lower core muscles to ease the pressure off my hips. Seemed to work but maybe it was just transference of concentration? Pain then moved into the inside of my left knee and then right calf. Other muscles compensating. After 1:30 , the pains eased and I was pretty pleased to finish the run quite well. But last night walked 5km with my girlfriend and it felt really sore at the beginning.

Some background- I run barefoot during the week and am now at 1hour/10km no problem and loving it. Also do 1 barefoot track session/week, some weights based on Jason Robillard's books, 2 to 3 barefoot runs, including hill sprints and swim at least 3 times. My stretching is erratic though. Actively NOT stretching really helped me recover from injuries from shod running last year, but I do try to do "salute to the sun" yoga sequence in the morning, followed by scissors, glute activation exercises, some planks and very occasionally those exercises from "The Cool Impossible" . But usually its no stretching and I just warm up running. My cadence is 86-90 barefoot and 80-85 wearing zero drop Trailroc 235.

So what could it be? I have googled it and the prognosis all looks pretty bad. But it does not feel that bad usually?!

PS loving barefoot running especially here in Singapore, the best city in the world to barefoot- clean, perfect pavements and year round good weather. If you are ever in town for, give a shout and we can go for a run. Singapore Botanical Gardens are fantastic for barefooting.

Please feel free to post in the Ask the Docs forum as well. I hope you get to feeling better soon!

Support Your Club

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Raramuri7

Latest posts