High Point Marathon-Zem360s and Barefoot- great experience

Mattlock

Barefooters
Aug 1, 2010
I ran the High Point NC marathon today and it was incredible. I ran the first 13 miles in my Zem360s which I absolutely love. I have about 300 miles on my pair and they are holding up very well. I have not been training at all barefoot lately and I had not planned on running barefoot but the roads were so nice and at mile 13 the temp was up to mid 40s and the Zems came off. The rest of the race was great. I started Maffetone training over the past 2 months and wasnt really planning on running to beat my first marathon of 3:41. This was more of a training run for me to prepare for a 50 miler next spring. Well I got into the race and followed the nutritional guidelines from Hammer's website and it made a huge difference. I also got some nutrional tips from a podcast with Sunny Blende which helped I do believe quit a bit. I started carbing up several days before the race not just the day before. I also started taking in a little more salt a few days ahead along with more water. 3 hours before the race I had about 300 calories (per Hammer) consisting of a bagel and yogurt. I took gel every 30 minutes from the beginning along with water at the aid stations (2 miles apart). One think that Sunny Blende mentioned is that IF you get behind with your gels, you cannot catch up. The body can only absorb about 240-300 calories per hour and it is critical to get them in even on the first hour. Interestingly enough the race didnt actually start handing them out until about mile 13 which is very problematic. Luckily I had taken my own Hammer Gel in two 5 oz flasks so I had no problems. I also took a S-cap every hour. Well, the race went well. My hip flexors were a little fatigued towards the end but no bonking at all. I ended up running a 3:40. Overall a great experience. Post race I immediately took some Endurox R4 and I can tell that has really helped. I drove 90 minutes home with very little soreness and have been working around in the yard all day. Relative to my first marathon, I felt so much better. I highly recommend the High Point, NC marathon. Very nice.

Congrats, Mattlock!

Congrats, Mattlock!

Support Your Club

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Raramuri7