Hi from Sydney, Australia

kentox

Barefooters
Oct 31, 2010
I though I should introduce myself instead of lurking. I have always liked to run but always got injured soon after starting. Would quit and go back to weight training,swimming, exercise bike or nothing.

For some reason on August 12 2010 I laced up my shoes and went for a run. After a couple of weeks uninjured and looking for some running books I came across Born To Run on numerous books on running that you must read.

Read it in a day. VFF Classics the next day.

The main thing that I took away from reading BTR was that I need to learn how to run. Which leads to barefoot running to improve form without the common injuries that shod runners fall prey to. So researching the internet opened up many doors and had my first fully barefoot run in Rushcutters Bay,Sydney on 1st September which lasted 5 minutes.

Taking the advice from online about rest I slowly built up my mileage barefoot and the rest of the time in the VFF's. Did way TMTS before my left ankle got inflamed mixed with TOFP which seems to have now made a full recovery.

Made it to 28km on a long run to Bondi Beach in my new Bikila's.

So here I am 4 months later after doing a 11km trail run this morning around Centennial Park totally barefoot. All of my runs this week were barefoot totalling 25kms for the week. Starting slowly this time with my standard run being a 5km during the week and slowly increasing the mileage by 1-2km on my long runs on Sunday for 2 weeks and then back to 11km for a rest week and then up the mileage again for 2 weeks and then rest. I'm hoping this will give my feet and body plenty of time to grow and adjust to the stress that I putting on it. No runs during the week to be over an hour seems to be a good rule of thumb on the internet. Also mix in that I'm currently doing heart rate training to build my aerobic base so my pace is quite slowy with keeping myself in zone 3 which is a challange in it's self.

Training towards doing my 1st Sydney Half Marathon race in May and then maybe Gold Coast Marathon in July. I would love to do both totally barefoot. Will see how my feet progress over time.

Thank you for the forum as I'm checking in every chance I can get. Everyone here is a great source of inspiration and very helpfully in teaching and passing on what you have learnt on your own journey. Much appreciated.

TL;DR: Happy barefooter with 4 months of running under my belt, Marathons planned for next year hopefully barefoot.

Welcome, Ken!  Good luck on

Welcome, Ken! Good luck on your half! You have plenty of time to train for it, so no more TMTS for you.

Ken - welcome to the crew. 

Ken - welcome to the crew. TMTS seems to be a rite of passage for us all. Everyone tells us to go slow, and we don't. I'm glad you've recovered and are doing so well with BFR. I'm looking forward to building up to some decent runs as well as soon as the TMTS stress fracture in my left foot heals. Hopefully one early TMTS education will be enough for each of us.

Hey Ken!  Welcome!  I am

Hey Ken! Welcome! I am glad to hear of people increasing distance in a relatively short period of time. I am building up VERY slowly also, but it's just nice to know that it won't take FOREVER. Congratulations on your progress...you just became a source of inspiration too!

Nothing takes forever. I just

Nothing takes forever. I just keep chipping away and if my feet give me the all clear then I'm out the door. In Australia you grew up barefoot and I'm always barefoot inside the house, thongs (flip flops) outside so I guess I'm very lucky that it didn't take me a year to build up enough strength in my feet to run/jog 15km barefoot. I still don't know if I'll be able to run a half marathon by May but I guess I'll let my feet be the judge of that.

Good luck and just keep on going. Very hard being winter for you but summer is coming eventually so maybe foot/ankle strengthing exercises indoors would help prep you for summer. Just a thought.

Excellent point on the

Excellent point on the foot/ankle strengthening exercises! I am lucky enough to live near the beach so I have always spent a fair amount of time barefoot. Now I do yoga about 4 times per week and I am amazed at how strong my feet have become from just that. I plan on doing the same as you...staying focused until I am ready for action.

In the meantime, I have just about given up on any hope of wearing high heels ever again...oh well...

I was thinking of getting a

I was thinking of getting a restiance band for my ankle exercises instead of my own weight but normally do them while watching a DVD with my feet on a stool or cushion. Been also picking up marbles with my toes for added toe strength. I do 20x3 sets for each foot and also use big toe and little toes so everyone gets a workout. Haven't done the marbles for a week. Work and life too busy at the moment. Been thinking of doing yoga as well but haven't made any enquiries at this point. I used to do it 15yrs ago and enjoyed it very much then. As for high heels at least if you do want to wear them your feet and back should be stronger and normally you would only wear them for a night or dinner out so it's not like you hopefully have to wear them for work.
I have some Terra Plana's that I wear to work as I stand all day working in retail so my feet get a workout all day and freedom for the rest of the time:)

For yoga, you might want to

For yoga, you might want to look into standing balance poses. These require you to stand on one foot and support your body in various positions. I find that these allow me to tune into the different parts of my feet as my body naturally adjusts itself to handle the weight variances. You might want to try the following poses: Tree, Dancer, Warrior 3, Standing Split, Half Moon. See what you think! I am also fortunate enough to work in an environment that does not require me to dress up, so no heels unless totally necessary... and then kick them off as soon as possible!

Hi Kentox,I can't recommend

Hi Kentox,

I can't recommend the Pose Running book highly enough. That is the book that got me to understand how to alter my running form. The drills are so important. Even now after moving to barefoot running since Oct 09 I still do the drills at least once a month if not more.

I know if I get a blister or sore feet its probably time for a session of drills to sharpen my form up again, it doesn't come just naturally.

Neil

Neil_D wrote:Hi Kentox,I

Neil_D said:
Hi Kentox,

I can't recommend the Pose Running book highly enough. That is the book that got me to understand how to alter my running form. The drills are so important. Even now after moving to barefoot running since Oct 09 I still do the drills at least once a month if not more.

I know if I get a blister or sore feet its probably time for a session of drills to sharpen my form up again, it doesn't come just naturally.

Neil

I have the POSE Running Book and I bought the dvd but read the Chi Running book first and tried to implement that technique into my running with some success. Will now move onto reading POSE while my ankle heals. I'm walking barefoot right now to try and bulid up some strength. I did a 22km barefoot run ealier in the week and my left ankle swelled up with added blood blisters on both soles.

So I went too far and got tired and my form went out the window as I must of been pushing off and i do notice a twisting effect sometimes when my foot comes off the ground no doubt due to pushing off.

TL;DR Resting and walking is all I'm doing while my ankle heals.

Kent

Support Your Club

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Raramuri7

Latest posts