Hi from Dubai!

White Horse

Barefooters
Oct 7, 2012
Abu Dhabi
well actually I am at Abu Dhabi now, but Dubai is more well known so hence from Dubai :)

I am a 30 something, and started a couch to walk program this feb. I progressed to a light jog and a Plantar Fasciitis injury put my plans on hold for about 3 months. In those 3 months, I spent about 2 weeks on a tradmill and discovered that I could now run (almost) nonstop for 20 mins.
So now I am back to my training and have signed up for a 10K in Nov & a 21k in Feb.
(my average weekly distance is 25k-30k)

I had initially been looking at options for shoes (to prevent injury *yes, I know how that sounds now* :D ) and wound up with the perfect pair of shoes!, my own two feet!!:barefoot:
I am BF at home since as long as I remember, but when going outdoors I always wear shoes.

Today was my first outdoor BF run... well I meant it to be a short few mins bf jog (after my usual shod workout), but well the unexpected happened and I ended up covering almost 2k in 15mins. (Totally unintentional at about 170spm). However I still think that just for today my pedometer malfunctioned.
*Cant believe that I covered that much so fast and I didnt even know it* :eek:

I hope to be more careful next time and take it slow. My coach for now, is Barefoot Ken's "Barefoot Running, Step by Step" and am also reading "Born To Run".

So this is me, from Dubai and I was the only Bare footer in my runs today.

I hope to be more careful next time and take it slow. My coach for now, is Barefoot Ken's "Barefoot Running, Step by Step" and am also reading "Born To Run". You're right here!

Welcome and stick around.

Welcome White Horse! I LOVE your avatar!

I wonder if there ARE any other barefoot runners in Abu Dhabi, er uh, Dubai. What do you suppose?

Reactions: happysongbird
Welcome!

I hear that the weather there can be gruesome with both amazing heat and saturating humidity. One woman I read about who ran the Badwater Ultra, 137 miles of nasty weather with something like 32,000 feet of elevation change, said that her training in Dubai made Death Valley seeem like an improvement.

On the other hand, it's probably not hard to find open country for a run once you get out of town.

Ma a'salaam!

Thank you all for the warm welcome :)

Barefoot TJ, thankyou :)
I have yet to see any barefoot runner here in abu dhabi though, maybe in Dubai, when I do my 10k & 21k I may find someone. A post in one of the popular local forums in Abu dhabi received no responses... maybe will post in Dubai and see.

JosephTree, yes the weather here is extreme, during summer (that was from may-sept) its almost unbearable. I did try to wake up at get out walking/running by 6:15 am, as it feels better than a pm run, but even with plenty of hydration, I had to stop as its just too hot and humid to do anything (at least for me). Its now a bit cooler, more pleasant and by Nov. its will get colder all the way till Mar. / Apr.
I am used to the climate but not for working out and exerting myself. Been here almost all my life, though I am actually from South India and hope to return in a few years.

Surprisingly to folks who haven't lived through one, winters in the desert are brutal, although not as technically cold as the climes where some of you nuts live. We Southern nuts get our own brand of cold as well, but nothing to compare to yours. But there's nothing like 40 degrees with 40 mph steady winds lashing dusty sand across every inch of exposed skin, so WH might have some unique "winter challenge" items to mix things up with.

Reactions: White Horse
I have a few questions... newbie and hope they dont sound too silly, but I shall post them in the appropriate forums. :)

Oh, don't worry, WH - we're all about silly and inappropriate, so fire away...

Reactions: Barefoot TJ
Lol!
JT, unfortunately, I do not speak many languages. I speak English & Malayalam (my native tongue). I can survive on my Hindi but well am not too good in it so prefer to shut up rather than make a fool of myself :)

RunningPirate & OdiarAmor thankyou for the welcome. OA if you do come back especially to Abu Dhabi give me a shout :)

Welcome White Horse! I LOVE your avatar!

I wonder if there ARE any other barefoot runners in Abu Dhabi, er uh, Dubai. What do you suppose?
Well, if there aren't any others in Idaho, I don't see why there should be more in Dubai!;)

Welcome!

Support Your Club

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hadashi jon