Hey Hey from Washington State!

lorandal

Barefooters
Oct 20, 2011
Do you know how hard it is to find people to get on this train with me? Actually, I'm certain you do. Happy to have found this place and look forward to learning, sharing stories, celebrating.... etc... with all of you.

Although I have always preferred no shoes and mostly stay out of them unless I have to, up until this past August I had always run in them. I have happily ditched those "casts" and am actually loving running now. I've been a lifelong heel striker, so relearning to run has been a task and I have definitely needed to adopt the slow and steady mindset. Frustrating at times but I know the payoff down the road will be well worth the miles lost for now.

Welcome, Lor!  Sounds like

Welcome, Lor! Sounds like you've thought this out well. Glad to have you with us here.

hey from ptown. i take it

hey from ptown. i take it you're not from the couve? where then?

it's hard to even get anyone to talk to you let alone run bf with you. you'll find people on here and faster if you join a chapter and post there. i may be going up into WA next month. can't remember where and i don't know exactly when. i'm sure i won't even have time to make a run with anyone there.

bye,

Mike

Welcome Lor, I am in Portland

Welcome Lor, I am in Portland as well as migangelo. I am just down the road from migangelo and I have not been able to run with him or any other barefooter yet as well. Mostly, it's just hard to get peoples schedules to coincide and I usually run while pushing my son in a stroller and it seems that a lot of the barefooters here hide in the woods on the trails instead of out on the roads like me. If your ever in the area you're more than welcome to join me for a run. It's nice to get to run with others from time to time.

Lor:Welcome to you (and to

Lor:

Welcome to you (and to Al, too). Glad you've found us, because we have indeed all experienced the same challenges with finding others who have taken the plunge into BFR and found the water to be just fine. I hope you can connect with some of our far-flung (and sometimes far-fetched) members near you. It's a whole lot more fun to run with somebody else. Ask lots of questions here, and you'll get lots of thoroughly-tested answers. Enjoy!

Wow!  Hi All!  Very nice to

Wow! Hi All! Very nice to hear from all of you :)

I am from Marysville... say 30 or so miles north of Seattle. We have plenty of trails around here and hiking and plenty of runners, just not of the bf type or at least I haven't found them yet. I actually went on a 5 mile bf hike in the San Juans a few weekends ago and it was incredible.

I am very excited to be able to find a place to ask questions because I am bound to have many at some point. Right now, I am about 2 months into it and up to 2 1/4 miles bf. I struggle with putting shoes back on and so I have opted to not switch off and on and cross train instead for my cardio as I build up my bf miles. Amazingly, the nerve damage to my right foot that I sustained in the Warrior Dash is repairing itself. After the injury and still in shoes, it kept getting worse and drastically limited my training and I actually thought I was going to have to stop running. It was this injury that got me to do some research and is where I found bfr. As soon as I decided it was the route I wanted to go, so long running shoes!!!! But truth be told... after being a heel striker and switching to bf... after my first bf run I couldn't walk for the next 2-3 days...and I really did keep that initial run short.

Mike and Nick, I know I will be in the Portland area next summer for a triathlon with my cousin, but other than that I am stuck here for now with no plans of travel.

Have a fantastic day All!!!

Lori

NickW wrote:...it seems that

NickW said:
...it seems that a lot of the barefooters here hide in the woods on the trails

:lol:

I am hiding in the woods on the trails about three times a week and have not seen any other barefooters except of Migangelo with Murry. They must be hiding very well I guess :bigsmile:

How did you get nerve damage

How did you get nerve damage in your foot?

Well, I can only speculate to

Well, I can only speculate to be honest...but the damage was severely noticed the morning after the dash. I was wearing shoes during the race and had them tied pretty tight to avoid losing them in the mud (brilliant idea, right?). No sock because it was my makeshift bandage after I sliced my wrist on the car obstacle, although not sure how much that would have really provided for padding. There was one obstacle, dead man's drop and it is the only one I can think of that did it... I slid down the drop on my feet and landed so hard flat with slight heel landing and so forcefully that I felt the most intense shock go through my body that I had ever felt before. I actually wasn't sure I was going to be able to finish because it also shot right into my left low back where I have an issue already (5 kids will do that to ya..ha)! We had a bit of fun after the dash with some beer and such so I really didn't notice anything until the next morning...when I couldn't feel my big toe and most of the top left side of my foot. But like I said, I am only guessing that is how but I'm pretty convinced myself. :) I am very excited, however, to run the next WD barefoot.

~Be the kind of woman that

~Be the kind of woman that when your feet hit the floor each morning the devil says, "Oh Crap, She's up!"~

Freakin' hysterical!

That surely sounds like that's how you damaged the nerve. OW! But not to the damaged nerve pain, I'm talking about the 5 kids! OW!

Ha!  By #3 it was nothing...

Ha! By #3 it was nothing... :) But then they turn into teenagers and everything that was "easy" becomes 100 times harder... 4 of the 5 are teenagers (and been a single mom for 6 years). What was I thinking? Oh right, I wasn't!
puzzled.png
Running and exercise is what keeps me sane......

Oh that sound even more

Oh that sound even more painful, TEENAGERS! You look great for having teenagers.

Welcome from SW Washington!

Welcome from SW Washington! Vantucky to be exact. I almost never get as far north as Marysville; I get to the south end of Everett once and a while.

Oh, and janson---I do get to the tri-cities every couple months. Are you running the Turkey day 5k?

janson wrote:Yep, I'll be

janson said:
Yep, I'll be running the Turkey Trot in the TC. Myself and a co-worker are planning to run it BF.

Nice! I'll be there and running as well, either bf or in my huaraches (BF most likely) we should coordinate an introduction!

Lomad, I send you a message

Lomad, I send you a message with my e-mail address. I'm planning to go check out the course this weekend, I've ran it before, but that was before I went barefoot, so I didn't pay attention to it from that perspective. I'll post something on the Washington chapter page as well, see if there is anyone else going to be out here then.