Hey, from North Texas, Too!

Jonny00GT

Chapter Presidents
May 19, 2011
Glad to finally find a resource like this, full of people who took the "red pill"!

I blew out my left knee 8yrs ago and then went through an ACL replacement. 2yrs ago, I got the urge to run to loose weight. I got up to 2miles at a time without stopping on pure power of will in every shoe and insert combo in my budget! Arches bruised, shins locked up, calves on fire, knee throbbing, lower back pump and a siatic pain that came and went. By the end of the summer, I'd run 3 miles twice, but I wasn't having any fun.

After a couple years of slacking, I changed jobs and one of the guys I work with just ran a half. He's not a little guy, so I figured I could work up to something like that. I googled "running" and "Pain" and about near every solution I found referenced barefoot running and Vibrams! Hm...could this be the magic pill I've been looking for?

3/23/11 I buy a pair of Bikila's, run about 200yds (trying not to do TMTS) and just giggling like a dork the whole time!! Riding the line between aclimating and over doing it, watching every Youtube clip on foot strike and barefoot style, I gobbled up "Born to Run" and devoured the movie "Running the Sahara", dumbfounded at the restrictions I'd put on what my body was capable of!

5/12/11 I ran my first 5K race in McKinney, TX, where I live, in the Triumph Over Pain 5/10K with a goal of

Welcome, Jonny!  That's a

Welcome, Jonny! That's a great story. Thanks for sharing. Seems like things are looking up for you and your wife.

Thanks, y'all!  I'm just

Thanks, y'all! I'm just thrilled to find a resource like this!

I've posted a link to us on the Pumping Iron forum I'm on a lot. I know of at least 3 guys on there that run in Nike Frees and VFFs and a few that are interested to hear more, so maybe we can get some more DFW Texas folks in here.

-Jonny

Support Your Club

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Raramuri7