Hello, please help get me started

rev20one

Barefooters
Jul 4, 2011
Hi everyone, /sites/all/modules/smileys/packs/Roving/lol.png

so I have been reading, and there is TOO much out there. I dont know where to start. I would like to transition to shoes that will help me run/walk as I was intended to but would like some suggestions.

Here is some info on me...

I have been wearing the Asics 2100 line for about 3 years now. I have a very wide foot, I wear 4E in the Asics. I use to wear New Balance 4E but found Asics a bit more comfortable. I also have a high arch. I luckily have not had foot injuries, only extremely rare "tightness" in what seems to be the area in my arch (4 times a year maybe lasting a couple days). I play roller hockey and the boot itself is very flat with minimal arch support and I think they make my feet stronger.

So I want to know which shoe I should use to transition as I dont want to jump from super cushioned ASICS to something like the EVO overnight.

I was thinking a skate shoe with a flat sole, like Laced from Emerica, or any type of slip on. (ok for my high arch?)

I would eventually like to get to wearing something like the Merrell Glove line as my everyday shoes. (hopefully they run wide).

Also, what is the basic thinking in walking/running in these shoes, should I be thinking of landing flat footed (heel and ball at same time?)

thanks for your help everyone /sites/all/modules/smileys/packs/Roving/smile.png

I know most of us would just

I know most of us would just say jump in the pool barefoot, so that's out of the way.

Yes, there is a lot of information, check out The Library.. the tab is on the top on the right side. Lots of links to good sites to check out. Barefoot Jason does You Tube videos, and Barefoot Ken Bob has a site dedicated to helping beginners, but I have found it a little bit of work to get around in. Has dead links and such, but diamonds everywhere for you.

Check out the gear section as threads abound with talk of shoe reviews with actual wear. We have a resident ninja for shoe trials straight from the manufacturer.

As to landing, always aim for ball of foot first, but heel should land almost immediately after. It ought to be hard to tell if you aren't landing whole foot at once, and expect a rare odd heel first landing based on terrain, but don't PLAN to do it.

Stick to hard flat terrain you know to be free from debris if you are worried, otherwise Ken Bob very highly recommends finding the gravel immediately. You can tell a LOT about your form from blisters and such from improper form on gravel which will pay dividends immediately as you sure don't want to repeat those kind of mistakes.

Welcome! and others will point out other things, but dig into the library and absorb as much as you can. JonnyooGT is the newest exuberant poster and his posts have textbook experiences IMO.

You will want to spend a lot of time getting forearmed with knowledge before hitting the pavement. Your legs and feet are likely strong enough to get started from what I've read. Just keep the distances small until you know for sure how you're doing. 10% adds from base are recommended. Please avoid the I did a mile and felt great and then did six miles and did TMTS. Better to look long term and be safe than sorry.

John T.

Hi Rev, and welcome!Of

Hi Rev, and welcome!

Of course, I would say if you want to strengthen and condition your feet, it's best to ditch the shoes and go completely barefoot, in short distances, of course, and build up over a period time. It won't take that long. Try 1/4 to 1/2 mile at a time, and don't try to match your previous speed at first, although you will get your speed back, and most of us report faster times later. I believe this is the safest way to transition to barefoot OR minimalist running. Collectively, we have found that our bare skin prevents us from overdoing it and limits our ability to become injured. We have also found that our plantar skin adapts at about the same rate as our musculoskeletal system, so progress is consistent. Once you have worked on your form, barefoot, and have developed a safe form and conditioned your musculoskeletal system, THEN add the minimalist footwear, hopefully, only when it is needed.

Some, think it's perfectly fine and safe to transition from elevated shoes to minimalist footwear, AS LONG AS you step down gradually, that is, don't jump from a 1-1/2" heel straight to zero drop, but step down in sole thicknesses. flexibility, weight, etc., but if you do it that way, it will take you forever and cost a whole lot of money in the process.

ditto the others about the

ditto the others about the wisdom of going straight barefoot first. also ditto the library... good info there!

I also know a lot of people who just don't want to go totally barefoot and rather than turn them off altogether (and thus remaining in their thick soled shoes) I usually say this:

If you REALLY have no desire to go completely barefoot for a while, and want to get into a minimal shoe, you need to treat it as if you were completely barefoot. you may feel like you could run further than the suggested distances (like TJ said, 1/4-1/2 mile) because your feet won't be able to tell when you've gone too far like they would barefoot, so you will need to stick to the short distances/transitioning plans a little more closely because of this lack of feedback in order to avoid injury.

sometimes if things are going smoothly you don't have to stick so close to the transitioning plans while barefoot, as the soles of your feet will tell you when they are ready, but once you cover them up they can't tell you and it becomes dangerous to push the envelope.

I hope that helps a little.

rev200ne, I understand your

rev200ne,

I understand your fear of going bf and your desire to cover up and make the switch in form. I myself did the same thing. I bought two pair of vibram because i didn't want to go bf. I made some huaraches in a desire to get even closer to bf without actually going bf. Thank god i did that otherwise i may have never truly went bf. Huaraches don't work in mud and are hard enough to learn how to tie properly, let alone run in.

Your transition will go a lot faster if you go bare first. You don't have to do it all the time. You can learn to transition with your current shoes. Which, by the way, do you currently run with those? Save your money untill you learn good form. Your feet/body will tell you when its time to get some minimalist shoes and by then perhaps the Altras will be released, maybe even the newer Minimus line from NB.

I have some Merrells and even with over a year of minimalist and bf running experience, i was heel striking. I may have never noticed had i not gone bf first and learned to recognize the difference. It is possible to heel strike bf and not notice because i have witnessed some one do it without being aware of it. They thought i was joking the whole time. Next time i saw this person i was thanked as they were unaware of it and now paying attention to form.

I know your fear and let me say don't worry. Its not nearly as bad as you think and a lot more fun than you can imagine. Go ahead and think about that. Just chose your path wisely and don't rush it. You will come along quite fast if you don't hurt yourself. Besides did you know these manufacturers are putting warnings with their shoes? Merrell has videos, Vibram has a little guide online, and i don't remember who put a dvd with their shoes on how to transition and i believe they all recommend to do a little bf first. They are your two coaches. Free them and learn to listen to them.

Mike

thanks so much everyone,

thanks so much everyone, sounds like I have a little more research to do and a little bit of listnening to myself. oh, and I forgot to include, I dont run at all, I just play hockey. thats why I want to know what shoes might be best, just for walking. or when it comes to walking, does it not really matter as much about going bf or have a minimalist shoe?

if i do run it would probably not be more than mile, I am overweight right now, but am losing the weight slowly, I have lost about 15 pounds since the beginning of the year, 15 more to lose hopefully by the end of the year, then I will probably start running a little bit.

Walking around barefoot as

Walking around barefoot as much as possible, everywhere possible will be a huge help in conditioning your soles. I'm barefoot all the time, but if I have to walk into stores that won't let me go barefoot, I wear my homemade huaraches. Barefoot everything is better than shoes anything, IMO.

i say don't wait to start

i say don't wait to start running, do it now. while your feet and body need to get in better shape otherwise you may be able to do more than your feet can when you think its time to start. there's no time like the present. i actually think someone out of shape is in a better position to learn to run bf than a shod runner. you have your conditioning and feet to slow you down, they will want to go more than they should and are more than likely to get hurt.

Mike

That is so true, Mike.  He

That is so true, Mike. He hasn't been contaminated with bad habits like the rest of us, so it should come easier to him.

that makes sense, i guess ill

that makes sense, i guess ill start walking, maybe a half mile and slowly alternate running in. What about walking though? Is barefoot walking the same as barefoot running? In terms of foot landing. Any recommendations for everyday minimalist walking shoes (for my wide feet and high arches)? I will need them to follow the rules of the establishments.

If your feet are weak, then

If your feet are weak, then going barefoot is what will strengthen them the best. I use huarahces when I have to wear footwear.

Most people will naturally heel strike when walking on any type of surface, but when running barefoot, they will run midfoot. Some who were brought up in shoes will still heel-strike even though they are barefoot.

Avoid gravel if walking heel

Avoid gravel if walking heel to toe. I can honestly say I have had some pretty large blisters from that sort of thing; blisters that I haven't gotten on the same surface while running barefoot. Strange, but true.

Forgot to say earlier. If you have a kindle, you can get Jason Robillard's e-book "The Barefoot Runner" First edition for only $2.99! I know because I bought it today, LOL. It is written with the beginner in mind and the price is a steal. It covers not only barefoot, but transitioning to minimal shoe running.

John T.

I found it very difficult to

I found it very difficult to run barefoot until I started wearing huaraches for my every day shoes. I now walk in them everywhere (I still haven't figured out how to run in them though). The form is pretty similar to the way you run. Just do whatever doesn't hurt. But some custom huaraches would be very good for wide feet.

Oh, and DO NOT do skate shoes. I had a pair once and I bruised both of my heels from running in them. I'll never understand how the skaters do it.

Reverend:You've already

Reverend:

You've already gotten lots of great advice. I'll just add a word of welcome, and a note to highlight that great advice. This is the place to bounce ideas and problems off of highly experienced folks who are glad to share with you. Listen and enjoy!

Phil

Step 1: Find people who are

Step 1: Find people who are already proficient at doing what it is you want to do, and learn from them! - check!

You are in the right place! Everyone has already posted everything you need to know about getting started, but here are a few things that also helped me on my way:

Step 2: Have a goal. For example, my wife and I are running a half-marathon in December. You need a place to end up so you know if you're on the right track or not. It can be as simple as entering a 1 mile fun run next month, a 5K 3mo from now or, as you said, losing 15lbs by, say, Sept. 1st.

Step 3: Tell your friends and family about your plan. They will help you stay on track by asking about your progress. Once you run barefoot, it'll be so liberating and fun, you'll probably have a harder time NOT telling people about it! (those poor strangers that asked me about my toe shoes in the beginning! LOL)

I would recomend the manual "Barefoot Running Step by Step", which can be found pretty cheap on Amazon. This will break it down for you...uh...you know...step by step. ;o) I just finished it and once my wife is done, I'll read it again. Also the book "Born to Run" is great for motivation(on my second read now) as is the movie "Running the Sahara"(I think you can only buy online...3 dudes run almost 4500 miles in 111days narated by Matt Damon...just amazing!!).

I second starting barefoot every chance you get. Checking the mail, taking out the trash, take a walk, or just around the house, etc. You'll want to strengthen your feet, ankles and calves and the easy stuff you do daily is a good place to start. I bought the Vibram Five Finger shoes for that same reason. I wish I'd started totally bare.

Taking up running as a non-runner is the best place to start according to the smart folks on this site and BF Ken Bob's book. Fewer bad habbits to break and no back tracking in mileage means you're less likely to do too much too soon and hurt yourself before your lower legs are strong enough. If you do start running barefoof, the Couch to 5K program is great for the beginning runner. As the name implies, it's designed for sedentary people who want to get active and loose weight by taking up running. : http://www.coolrunning.com/engine/2/2_3/181.shtml You can also find it as an Ap for the iPhone and the Android.

If you start your runs barefoot for the first 1/4-1/2 mile or 4-5min, relax, listen to your feet and have fun, THEN put your shoes on for the rest of your run. The form your feet teach you barefooting will be fresh in your mind with the shoes on and easier to hold on to for the rest of your run. Do that for the first week or 2 and increase it little by little each week. Your bare feet will tell you when to stop. As for the shoes you put on, I'd say just get some cheap water shoes from Wally World first. Your feet may change as you strengthen the muscles and there is enough out there, you'll want to research and read reviews before picking something +/- $100. (Check the reviews on this site and SayPay's blog.)

Fair warning...the great majority of the people who have never liked running(ME!!!!!), but take up barefoot running with the correct approach, become addicted to running and find out, it's actually a blast!

Welcome!

-Jonny

PS: Sorry for the long post. This was also a good read: http://barefootrunners.org/story/barefoot-running-101-how-get-started-thrive-jason-robillard

Jonny, while some good advice

Jonny, while some good advice i disagree with setting goals for a race. you're only goal right now should be to learn how to run pain free. don't worry about races. there's always time for those. if you plan for a race you may over do it and hurt yourself. i know i just did and i've been bf over a year. i trained a little too much for a race recently and ran two races on nearly the same trail only five days apart. didn't do any damage but did two runs after was in some pain. had to walk because the balls of my feet felt bruised.

taking some time off, about two weeks or until i feel ready. then it will be a bit of pavement work and less time on the trails. that is less distance and intensity. until its time to train for the Warrior Dash in September! i know, i'll have to listen to my feet more and not push it too much as i plan to do it bf this year.

as far as shoes. you have to just go and try out and see what you like best. look for flat, thin, flexible soles. if your feet get tired then put on your old shoes for some relief. i wear huaraches everywhere but work. for there i bought some tough gloves.

i guess after all the advice from everyone what you have to take away is just listen to your body. learn to do that and you won't go wrong.

Mike

Mike, I agree with you that

Mike, I agree with you that goals should be reasonable and something that can be accomplished safely, but not that the 'devil' is in the 'race'. According to Barefoot Ken Bob, you should be willing to walk away if your body is not ready...even in the middle of a race. The idea should be to participate within your abilities, not try to kill yourself in training or in the race to beat a specific time or win. Your effort should be tempered with prudence, which is not exclusive to racing, training for a race or being new to the sport, but in all aspects of barefoot running for as long as one participates, IMHO. In my perspective, a race is an event where I can people watch, make some friends, get a shirt, some exercise, some fun and "read a new road" with my feet! I only wish I had the funds and the time to do more of them.

-Jonny

Jonny, agree with all that

Jonny, agree with all that there. that was just my humble opinion. setting goals can make one work hard. learning to run bf means learning to listen to your body. thats something that goes against a training plan that someone would follow. i am liking the racing atmosphere. its a lot more fun that i thought. i have the WD in September and am thinking about either doing some in between and after. but i'll stick to 5k for now and possibly 10k. no M in sight for this guy. not for a few years before i think about it. i want to train to run for life, not one race.

cheers,

Mike

Excellent Philosophy, Mike! 

Excellent Philosophy, Mike! "Train for life, not just one race!" That would make a great shirt! Sort of a "Don't miss the forest on account of the trees." I agree 100%. Words to live by!

-Jonny

Support Your Club

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Raramuri7