Heat Dissipation

Mark Wilkinson

Barefooters
Jun 2, 2012
Ypsilanti, MI
Lately I have been running shirtless, as I have issues controlling my heat level while running. When I wear a shirt I feel weighed down and hot. Is this because I bought crappy shirts, or is bare skin better at releasing heat? Also, I plan on running through winter, what options do I have for clothing? I am assuming that even if I do get hot enough to take my shirt off it may not be the healthiest option.

Thanks!

Mark, when it is hot I run shirtless so the sweat aids in the cooling of things, in the winter my baselayer is of a wicking type because I want to stay dry. If I feel damp due to sweat on my winter runs I feel chilled all the time. Jason also commented that on long hot runs he prefers cotton shirts due to the fact that they stay damp and help keep you cool as well.

Could be both as I don't really know what kind of shirts you wear during the summer. My body tends to run very hot so I have to run in very thin and lightweight shirts. During the winter (mild winters here in OR, only down into 30's with rain) I wear shorts and same short sleeve shirts or sometimes if it's cold enough, low 30's, I will throw on a long sleeve lightweight shirt and a headband to keep my ears warm.

Support Your Club

Natural Running Center

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Raramuri7