Groin Pain at start of run

C-Dog

Barefooters
Jun 22, 2010
Recently, I began to experience some groin pain right at the beggining of any sort of running motion. I don't really have any pain at any other times though. I haven't done any running (aside from Flag Football practice and a game) all month. On those days, the pain is pretty harsh right away, but it lessens once I play for a little while. And then later in the day I am a little sore, but it goes away, so I was attributing that to having not played much lately.

I asked a Dr. friend (just asked him, no exam) and his first thought is hernia, but there is no bulge, and there is no pain during other activities (which includes power lifting squats/Power Clean/Deadlifts/etc), so I tend to think it's not that since everyone says it should hurt during lifting and there should be a bulge.

The pain is roughly at the black dot on this image.
11249167_469d_625x625.jpg

I am going to try a run tomorrow night to see how I do, but does it just sound like a groin pull to people? And, how do I stretch the muscles/tendons in that area?

If it's not a groin pull, it

If it's not a groin pull, it still can be the beginnings of a hernia. The docs will know more.

At first I was thinking

At first I was thinking hernia, but the. you dismissed that. I occasionally will get a sharp stabbing type pain there for a few seconds, then it goes away. Do you do any core / abdominal exercises? And do you drink enough water?

Also, I hate to be the one to break it to you, but ummm.... It appears that you have 2 other bigger issues by looking at your posted pic. 1, you havent seen the sun in quite awhile as your lookin really pasty, and 2, your weiner fell off....

LOL Chaser.  Since I have

LOL Chaser. Since I have been taking a break from running, there was hardly any reason to go outside right :)

A sharp stabbing pain that goes away is a reasonable way to describe it. I don't really do any pure core exercises. The squats/Deadlifts/power cleans do work some core stuff, but I don't just do situps or other ab work.

I drink 4-5 liters of water a day, so I am good on that I think.

C-Dog,It could certainly be

C-Dog,

It could certainly be the beginning of a hernia based on the location, but the fact that you are doing squats/deadlifts/power-cleans with no problem makes that less likely.

One thought I do have is that when I first started barefooting I would get pain around that area too, I attributed it to strained abdominal muscles from the change in form. I think that a strained lower abdominal muscle is most likely in your situation. However, should the pain increase, spread to other areas, or start with other activities you should go in for a check up.

Here's your anatomy lesson for the day: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Inguinal_canal

You could be dealing with an indirect inguinal hernia or pain in the spermatic cord.

Good luck!

Thanks Dr. Andrew.  I

Thanks Dr. Andrew.

I checked with a Dr yesterday, and they suspect either a strain or the beginnings of an inguinal Hernia. I am going in for an ultra-sound tomorrow.

I have been running barefoot/minimalist for about 20 months now, but I did do some Ab Work prior to the pain, so that could be related. I should probably start doing more ab work.

This sounds similar to a pain

This sounds similar to a pain that I've had the past two weeks or so. I feel it in the same place, sharp at the beginning of a run, and then it goes away. Doing lunges seems to aggravate this pain for me, but like C-Dog, there's no pain when doing a squat-type exercise.

I'm hoping that neither one of us has a hernia.

Does anyone think this pain could be a strained iliopsoas muscle? I feel like I've been using that muscle more intensively as I've tried to learn a barefoot/minimalist form.

Yeah I was thinking this is a

Yeah I was thinking this is a psoas issue since. But one way to be more certain is to lie flat on your back and spread your legs (no comments on that statement please, haha), to about 45 degrees. Then let your ankles turn out too. Next just lift your (affected side) right leg straight up, keeping it at that angle. This test will target your psoas. If it hurts, then check out my video on who to work out the trigger point, here http://sock-doc.com/2011/08/piriformis_low-back-pain_sciatica/.

If it's not painful then it's probably not your psosas,and most likely an abdonminal oblique, and a weakness in that muscle can lead to a hernia. After all, a hernia starts from a weakness in the abnominal muscle. BTW, those are some kick-ass abs you have in that drawing.

SD

I did go and get an

I did go and get an ultrasound yesterday, and there were no signs of a hernia. So that's good.

I don't think I am getting any special pain from the leg lifting, but there is some pain there. Maybe that's it. I will check out your video :)

Thanks.

Support Your Club

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hadashi jon