G'day from Adelaide, South Australia

Hi John, and welcome!

1st: I've been doing this BFR thing for about 2.5 years. I can tell you for sure that I've stepped on the most painful and injurious objects inside my own house. Legos! Kitchens can be the most dangerous!

2nd: Wow! You're going really fast with your transition. I hope you stay happy, but doing 10K and more within the first couple weeks is up at the thin end of the curve, I think.

3rd: As mentioned I've been doing this BF thing for a while now and I still go to my VFFs for gnarly trails, especially those with crushed stone or even natural rocks. Shoes as tools and I'll use'm.

I did run purely BF for my first 4 months, and didn't own any running shoes of any sort. I think that helped keep me from overdoing it. What also helped was that I startd from "couch" and not with bone deep sense of what pace I should be running. You know you have some TMTS risk factor when you are even aware of someone passing you. Turn inward, Grasshopper!

Aside from the above caveats, I wish you great joy in your running adventure. If I'm ever in Adelaide I'll be sure to look you up! Just be sure to hold the brown snakes if I do, please.

Hi Joseph,
Thanks for the advice and encouragement. The transition has gone much faster than I'd expected, but I think I'm building on a decent foundation. I am running what I plan to be my final shod run (Adelaide City to Bay) this Sunday and will then be able to devote myself to the transition in a more measured fashion, now that the initial euphoria has worked its way out! I've come to the same "shoes as tools" conclusion, and will be looking at VFFs this weekend. I'm very glad I started out barefoot, though - it has given me a goal and the confidence to know I can get there.
Cheers,
John

umm, vff's are shoes. a better choice for sure but still shoes. i prefer lunas.

john, don't mind me and most of my nonsense. lots of good natured ribbing a long with the occasional good advice followed by drunken tomfoolery.

Welcome!

Hi John, and welcome. Like you, I'm new to barefoot running (about the same length of time as you, though I've been running shod for a while), and am also finding the process fascinating. Just the fact that I'm being patient about learning this (patience not being my strongest character quality) is enough to make me think there's more to this than just sole to sidewalk. Keep posting about your progress and we can compare notes!

Hi John, and welcome. Like you, I'm new to barefoot running (about the same length of time as you, though I've been running shod for a while), and am also finding the process fascinating. Just the fact that I'm being patient about learning this (patience not being my strongest character quality) is enough to make me think there's more to this than just sole to sidewalk. Keep posting about your progress and we can compare notes!
I'm not known for my patience either. I keep telling myself to remember how slowly I progressed when I first took up running...and that part of this process is that I change the way I think about my running. You can't beat just being able to let fly though and get that runner's high.

Glad to have you with us, John. Keep honing your patience, or a stress fracture may take over for your self-control and give you some time (as it did me) to think about a slow and stable transition. Welcome!
Thanks Phil. I've managed to acquire a bit of a sore foot over my last few shod runs, so am having a bit of a recovery phase before I start running again - hopefully just a week or so. I'm going to definitely try not to push things too hard.

Support Your Club

Natural Running Center

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Raramuri7