Garmin Foot Pod

spoonerweb

Chapter Presidents
Sep 6, 2010
813高雄市左營區文府路178巷
I should be getting my Garmin Foot Pod in the mail today. I also have the 310XT. I run totally barefoot. Anyone have any advice about this device? Especially like the best way to attach it to the foot/ankle? I plan on using my tri ankle band that I use for my timing chip. If that doesn't work, then maybe one or two small soft hair bands to mimic shoelaces around the ankle.

I use a variety of sweatbands

I use a variety of sweatbands that would normally go around a wrist to keep my Garmin foot pod tight to my ankle to ensure it counts my cadence, speed and distance as accurate as possible.

When I'm done with the run I usually use the sweatband to wipe down my feet a little.

I use a triathlon ankle band

I use a triathlon ankle band with the Garmin footpod in vertical orientation against my shin. It gives reasonably accurate cadence readings during barefoot runs, but when I view the trace in Garmin Connect afterwards, I see that the signal is much "noisier" compared to when I have it snapped horizontally onto the laces of my Trail Gloves.

I'm thinking of getting a HRM

I'm thinking of getting a HRM with foot pod type thing but can't really afford a Garmin. Are there any other brands that do a decent job I should have a look at?

Sorry about the thread hijack :)

Garmin 305 with HRM is only

Garmin 305 with HRM is only $150 on Amazon and is probably your best bet. Let's say you went with the more minimal Nike+ Sportband ($60) and added the HRM ($70). That's only $20 cheaper and the Garmin system is far superior in accuracy and versatility if you do your runs outdoors. If you've already got an iPod/iPhone that you can tack on the Nike+ system to then you could get started with just the sensor ($20) and the HRM ($70).

I've got the Garmin

I've got the Garmin Forerunner 305 which I absolutely love. I have not gotten the footpod yet but I have the bike kit as well and it is really nice to be able to see multiple items at the same time, such as hearrate, pace, cadence, calories burned. If you watch you can sometimes find it for cheaper than $150 on Amazon.

i just picked up the garmin

i just picked up the garmin 405 cx on ebay, refurbished for $163. i wanted a hrm and knew that once i got it i would want a gps so i just waited until i had enough to get the whole thing. even though its refurbed it still has a one year warranty, so basically brand new. i've bought many stereos refurbed and never had a problem with them so why not.

there's a saying in Mexico that i'll try to translate. the cheap comes out expensive.

Mike

How do you like the 405

How do you like the 405 Mike? I thought about buying it because it was smaller but I didn't like the idea of having to push a button to see the next function while running. I ended up getting the 305 because it shows up to four functions at a time. It's a little big and bulky which I don't like, but otherwise it's really good. Did you get the footpod for the 405 as well?

migangelo wrote:there's a

migangelo said:
there's a saying in Mexico that i'll try to translate. the cheap comes out expensive.Mike

I like that. There's a saying in Czech that i'll try to translate.

"I am not rich enough to afford buying cheap stuff."

ha! thats a good one. i

ha! thats a good one.

i just ordered it. it has a bezel, whatever that is, to make adjusting easy. what i want really is the hrm. everything else is icing on the cake.

Mike

Well it will cost a minimum

Well it will cost a minimum of $40 to have any watch sent to Australia by Amazon. That puts the 305 closer to $200 which is just really out of my reach. You can't get the 305 for cheaper than $250 here in Australia either, which makes no sense since our dollar now buys more than 1USD. I thought a foot pod set up would be cheaper than a GPS plus I do quite a bit of running in heavy wooded area and I've heard that can mess up the GPS, hence why I was interested in the foot pod thingy.

As for buying cheap or expensive.....generally I let my budget dictate how much I spend rather than the marketing arm of a company! lol

PKFFW wrote:I do quite a bit

PKFFW said:
I do quite a bit of running in heavy wooded area and I've heard that can mess up the GPS, hence why I was interested in the foot pod thingy.

PKFFW, as for the messing up the GPS, I think it is worth trying.

I am doing all my runs on a trail in a 'heavy wooded area' (Pacific NW rain forest) and my Garmin 205 stays on track pretty well all year long.

thats pricey. the 305 is

thats pricey. the 305 is discontinued so it should keep dropping in price. can you get it from the phillipines or somewhere from asia for less? the reason i went with garmin is because of all the online reviews. there were more than a few people who bought other than garmin only to regret it and go back. while nothing man made is perfect, they've been at it the longest.

Mike

Mike, I've had two Garmin

Mike, I've had two Garmin hrm. The first one I hated and took it back within a day or two (was not very user friendly), thank you REI and your wonderful return policy, and the second one I absolutely love (Garmin Forerunner 305). It is very easy and user friendly and does a good job through Wildwood and my surrounding neighborhoods. Hopefully you ill like your 405. My buddy has it and he likes it I think.

Elastic I used was a little

Elastic I used was a little too tight as now I have a ring around my ankle and quite some soreness while out on the run today. I will have to look for something else or a looser elastic. I do have my tri band for the race, but it is rather inconvenient for everyday use.

My ankle was very sore last

My ankle was very sore last night and I didn't realize how much it hurt until I tried to put a pair of socks on at work. My wife used some velcro and made made a small pouch and I was able to wear that this morning. Even with the bruise all around my ankle, I wasn't able to really tell that the velcro band was there.

Support Your Club

Natural Running Center

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Raramuri7