Gamifying running

flammee

Barefooters
Mar 11, 2012
Finland, Oulu
I have been thinking about this from time to time...

In real world there are different kind of running competitions but little other than how fast runner runs the distance. Orienteering has bit of game elements, but it's still on the who is fastest -category. Different kind of sports include bit of running, but in them running is usually just a short sprint, like in football.

So, I'm wondering if in some way interesting game mechanics could be used for running so that there could be single player running games, technology has developed a bit so you can run with computer/cell phone that can track your running performance with GPS.. There is one app I know that does exactly this - zombies! run! But I'm not really into escaping from zombies scenario, and as far as I know, game mechanics of Z!R! are quite simple.. Although, running scared is probably very natural thing to do, and really running scared could be a great boost to exercise, like in form of adrenaline..

Anyways. simulating running competition could be interesting, kinda like garmin's virtual partner or racer, but with more simulated game mechanics. I have never raced, so I don't know exactly how it works, but when you run behind someone, there's less drag and when you bypass him, you probably want to get rid of him so that he can't use you to push through headwind, so there's point of sprinting a bit, that could be easily simulated.. And garmin supports just one competitor, if you get rid of him, there's just point of keeping ahead. What if there were like twenty virtual runners with different skillsets and strong areas (like trails, short distances and such stuff) so that they wouldn't run with just stable pace, there could be bit of randomization.. And single run would be just a single tournament in series of tournaments, you would get points that would add to the total points. That is something that makes watching formula ones interesting, it's not one off -competition.

Now I just got second idea.. When I realized that computer games can be absolute bullshit, I was playing this bad online roleplaying game, lineage. It's just about leveling up with really simple and boring game mechanics, but still I was addicted for quite a while in leveling up. How about a game of leveling up as a runner? It would be done by getting experience points from training runs.. Like 10 MAF pace 5 miles run to level one, 20 to level two and so on. And different kind of runs would give different amounts of experience. All experience would be based on experts' estimation how running skills develop, you could develop your character to be more slow distance type or faster sprinter. But instead of just abstract feeling that you have gotten better, you would see your character's development in your computer screen in concrete numbers.. ;) Building a runner character would surely be more interesting this way. Then you could probably use that character to take part in virtual running competitions, and see how your character manages in different races.

BTW, My friend lasted longer playing that lineage... Last time I saw him playing that game, he had counted that it takes some hundred hours of monotonous killing of monsters to level up to next level. And what is reward of leveling up in that game? When you go up the level, some stats get little better, but there's very little change, leveling up is kind of it's own reward.. If you play a wizard character, you use same spells that you used on level one, because they are most cost effective... Now, that's some f****d up game mechanics. But the point is, if people are persistent to work hundreds of hours on monotonous point and clicking to see rarely a message "you have gained a level of experience!", it can be said that that leveling up stuff is really addictive. And it would be a lot more enjoyable and better use of time to run for level up of virtual runner character.

Now, these two ideas has something to do with running, but what if running itself had very little to do with game mechanics, but it would still be used as controlling elment of the game.. Think about worms/scorched earth type game where you use mostly ballistic shooting to kill your opponents.. Running could be way to go from worm to another to command/control it. It could be fixed amount of distance (adjustable from hundreds of meters to like tens of kilometers for really slow paced game) to reach next worm to command or they could probably even have map locations. This all would be done with cell phone with gps tracking, against AI or live opponents.

Now, there's certainly the old argument that isn't running enough by itself... I would say that it's bit irrelevant argument. Because I like running, it makes me more interested about different variations of running. Like using running as a method of playing a game. I even started orienteering because I like trail running although I wasn't really interested about map and compass stuff... There just isn't wrong reasons to get motivated and in games there are lot's of motivational or even addicting stuff. And you can still run without any gaming.

Here's good article of gamifying.. http://yukaichou.com/gamification-research/gamification/

Reactions: TheTechnobear
I chase my demons when I run, and wrestle them when I lift weights. Sometimes I win, sometimes I lose, but it keeps things interesting. The greatest game of all, however, is the challenge of stilling my mind while exercising. I have a very long losing streak, not a single victory.

But thank you, you have frightened me into wondering about what sort of virtual future my children are actually inheriting.

Reactions: Sid
flammee, did you smoke something before you wrote this? :)

ah, with the playstation generation we are definitely going this way :)

flammee, thats guys site is very interesting, i liked his octalysis post (http://tinyurl.com/brly6l6), where he basically talks about motivations and rewards.

On Strava.com, they have both challenges, and also king of the mountain on routes, (with leaderboards). a popular feature request is to add xbox style achievements (http://tinyurl.com/7th6fnw), some interesting examples in his post.

I think its quite a good idea, probably we all set ourselves challenges, so why not let a computer track your progress towards these goals, and its also quite fun to be told you have hit a 'milestone' that you might not even have thought about, and the possibilities are endless
e.g.
- total 100 km barefoot,
- total of 10 hours running in the rain,
- 50km of fresh trails route
- burned enough calories for 100 hamburgers
- run in 3 different countries/states
Its not serious stuff, as there are hundreds of sites, that travel the basics of milage, pace, time and frequency with stats, which is fine if you want a finely tuned training plan... but if your running for fun/fitness perhaps something a bit more lighthearted would be good ( a bit like the winter challenge here)

My wife just finished her last term in her double major in business management and hr and apparently with this new generation (gen Y I think is what they are called) corporations are having to hire reward people, people that figure out how to reward the new age of workers because they have to be rewarded for everything they do (apparently getting paid for a job is not enough). Apparently this goes hand in hand with the new there are no losers or winners in games (everybody wins). Weird. Now gamifying running....

I only drank a bit of alcohol.. ;) There's this sport of chess boxing ( http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chess_boxing ), I think it could work with running too, you would get to move a gamepiece always after a one kilometer of running. A chess game can be won in under ten movements while average number of movements seems to be about 40.

The main idea behind this gamification of running is not to replace running events, but to make training runs more interesting and motivating. Or probably playing some stupid game with cell phone isn't more interesting than running itself, but it has it's addictiveness and I can easily see myself going for longer run to be able to finish a game. My long runs are usually well below 30 km, I think I could go atleast for 50 km if there were just little bit of extra reason and something to strive for.. ;) Haven't any of you played a computer game all night, although you had to wake up early? It's not very uncommon thing to do amongst gaming addicts and I think this addiction could be used for something useful, like running yourself to death. ;)

Reactions: Bare Lee
Honestly, when I read the title of this thread, I thought the word "gamifying" had to do with the colloquialism for legs (maybe I am dating myself, which I something I try never to do because I usually just end up taking advantage of myself by the end of the evening). Anyway, I'm thinking to myself, "How do you run UNLESS you use your gams?" Then I read flammee's post, and felt a little bit like Emily Latella....never mind.

I think this is a cool idea. Have to think on it a bit. Always looking for ways to spice up a run.

BTW, some (non-running) friend once said to me, "I've yet to see a person running who was smiling." At the time, I was a shod runner, so I replied, "Yeah, well, we're all smiling on the inside." Such bullshit. Today I did a 10 mile long run barefoot, and by mile 9, I was still smiling on the OUTSIDE. I figure if you ain't smiling while you're running, you're doing it wrong.:)

Reactions: Sid and DNEchris
In barefooting there is also social aspects, you get noticed for doing something special and there probably can be even some kind of "higher meaning" in barefooting as it is how we are meant to run, how our ancestors did it. ;)

On Strava.com, they have both challenges, and also king of the mountain on routes, (with leaderboards). a popular feature request is to add xbox style achievements (http://tinyurl.com/7th6fnw), some interesting examples in his post.

I tried strava a while ago, mainly because it has those running challenges. I didn't like much it's user interface and I'm already using heiaheia to log my runs.. Challenges are okay, but there's so few of them, currently there's no running challenge to join. Would be better if there were lot's of them so you could choose the most appropriate ones with good timing. I was also interested in "king of the mountain on routes" -feature, but since there isn't anyone else locally using strava it's bit pointless. I could make my own routes, but I rarely run exactly same routes.

I have been thinking on something in the line of gamifiying running, but in the sense of LARP (Live Action RP): one idea was to role play as a hunter-gatherer or a celtic warrior. Run from a point to a check point and there you would need to solve a puzzle or fight LARP style against enemies. Get a new quest and run further to the next check point.

Support Your Club

Natural Running Center

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Raramuri7