Here is my long drawn out report of my barefoot visit to New York City. A few more details are on my website if your really board. Next year it might be Washington DC.

Saturday
My shoes came off on Friday evening at 4:47 pm, for what I hope is the last time for the next week. The family is heading to New York City for several days of site seeing. My research says the real tourist places will make me wear shoes, but everywhere else I should be fine

No problem at the two services centers we stopped at on the way down on Saturday. Visited the restrooms at both stops. Getting out of the van at the second stop I was surprised to feel the pavement was cool, even though it was a dark black color. I gathered from this sensory input that the sun had not been shining much in that area that day. It was cool that I could gather additional information just from being barefoot.

I checked in barefoot and then I went to see the bellhop again to let him know our room number, he informed me that I was required to wear shoes in the lobby and it didn't matter if I had religious reasons, blah blah blah, I was none too pleased, there goes my plan to be 100% barefoot.

My sister was willing to head out so we left the two kids behind and I wore my sandals down to the lobby again and once outside took them off and we headed to Central Park.

Monday
Wore sandals in the hotel lobby but no problem being barefoot in the subway. Coming out of the subway for the first time I thought how most people thought the floor of the subway was disgusting, yet my feet didn't seem to think so and then I grabbed the stair railing as I walked up the stairs and my had said yuck, now that was gross feeling. My sister agreed and said she never grabs the railings unless she has to.

Waiting on the wooden dock for our first attraction the Shark Boat my foot caught a splinter of wood and my group all heard it snap under my foot. It definitely hurt, but I assured them I was fine, while at the same time wondering how much my foot was bleeding. Pride helped me resist the urge to do a complete inspection of the damage and I didn't want my group to worry. I had no problems boarding the boat barefoot, and I'm sure they had to have noticed my feet since they help everyone on board the boat one at a time. My foot was still a little sore and I tried to discreetly inspect my foot while waiting for the ride to begin. I couldn't feel any damage or piece of splinter left in my foot, but I was still wondering if it was bleeding. Later when I got home and washed my foot I couldn't tell where the splinter had stabbed me. My tough souls had done a great job of protecting my foot.

We then decided to walk across the Brooklyn Bridge and grab a pizza in Brooklyn. I saw one lady carrying her shoes and walking barefoot. Once across we found a pizza place called Ignazio's and were soon seating with only a few stares at my feet. It was a Sicilian style pizza and was good.

It had been a full day, so we headed back and I once again put on my sandals to walk across the lobby to the elevator. A great first day being barefoot in New York City, but I was a bit bummed it wasn't 100% barefoot. I decided tomorrow would be different.

Tuesday, 4th of July
I decided today to ignore the bellhops. It is not normal for me to disregard the rules so openly, but I was on vacation and I wanted to have a 100% barefoot day if possible, and it being the 4th of July seem to inspire me. So I did not put on my sandals when we left the building and continued to do so for the rest of the trip. I was confronted several times, usually when I was heading back up and would tell them, I'm going right to my room and that seemed to appease them.

We did a 6 mile bike ride around Central Park. We took some breaks to enjoy the views and see some sites. At one point we stopped and hiked in a bit to see Belvedere Castle.

So today was my first 100% barefoot day in New York City, though we were basically outside all day, except for the hotel and the bike rental shop. It was also the first time I ever rode a bike barefoot. I didn't think I would be able to do it, but it was fun and the little raised bumps on the pedals didn't bother me at all. My feet are doing very well so far.

Wednesday
Went inside 9/11 Tribute Center and then took a tour. The Tribute Center offers Walking Tours and their brochure states "Guides at the 9/11 Tribute Center are 9/11 family members, survivors, rescue and recovery workers, civilian volunteers or lower Manhattan residents whose personal stories are shared with you and are a testament to the human spirit." Our guide was an older gentleman who lived just a few blocks from the twin towers on that fateful day. His personal story was moving and shed new light onto the tragic events that unfolded that day. He also talked about the history of the towers, and gave us new insights into events of that day and explained some interesting details about the memorial and the new buildings. I would take the tour again in a heartbeat and highly recommend this tour to all who visit the site.

That evening we visited the M&M store, the Mars Candy Store and walked through a very packed Times Square. We also took in the Phantom of the Opera at the Majestic Theater with no problems at any of those places

The crowd in Time Square was very tight. There is a lot of talk in the barefoot community about how those who walk barefoot watch where they walk more than people with shoes. I have often felt I didn't pay much more attention where I stepped now than I did when I wore shoes. Especially while site seeing in New York City, always looking at the sites and not paying as much attention to what I was stepping on. Now that we were in a packed crowd of people I had to watch out for the people in front of me and make sure we stayed together as a group. In Time Square even if I looked down I couldn't have seen enough in front of me to see any dangers if I wanted to through the press of all the feet around us. Hiking I certainly do pay more attention to where I step, but in this huge crowd it wouldn't have done me any good to try.

Second day 100% barefoot with no issues.

Thursday – Statue of Liberty
Only tickets for the pedestal were from the New Jersey side. We figured it would take a bit of work to figure out all the connections needed to get to Liberty Park, NJ and then we would have a mile walk to the ferry. It took a little figuring out, but we eventually found our way to the ferry. The pavement was hot and I would walk onto the grass every once in a while to give me feet a break. There also were a lot of little stones on the pavement in places that I tried to avoid when possible.

I boarded the ferry without any problems and we headed to the park. Once inside we stored my pack along with my sandals in the locker, since nothing is allowed inside the monument. As I'm putting my belt and phone into the plastic container the security personal asked me if I had any shoes. I said no. He looked a little surprised and said okay. I thought about my answer afterwards. I did not have any shoes, but I did have sandals in the locker. My sister said I gave the correct answer and she was also entertained by his reaction by my answer.

After the visiting the Statue with no problems we arrived back at Battery Park we walked past the charging Bull near Wall Street went to China Town for supper. On the way I discovered that the black stone is hotter than black asphalt and there is a lot of black stone in downtown Manhattan. I ran ahead a few times to find a shady spot or a lighter shade of pavement.

I was pretty pleased. This made my third day in New York City 100% barefoot. I could definitely feel the wear and tear on my feet. After supper it was off to the Rockefeller Center. We entered the building and purchased tickets for 9:25 pm, we had time to take a walk down to see the Empire State Building. Arriving back at the Rockefeller Center I was finally asked to put shoes on for safety reasons. You could tell this guy would not budge, so I put on my sandals and proceeded to the Top of the Rock. It is interesting that I purchased my tickets barefoot. It seems it takes only one person to decide it isn't proper for you to walk around barefoot. We had walked almost 15 miles at this point and my feet were certainly feeling it, so I ended up walking home with the sandals on the give my soles a break. I would have toughed it out to claim 3 full barefoot days.

Final day in New York City
This morning we got a late checkout time so went to check out Star Wars and the Power of the Costume. After purchasing my tickets we headed down the stairs where a staff member was directing people to the various exhibits. I was told I needed to wear shoes. My sandals went on my feet and they were happy. We checked out bags and took in the exhibit. Upon leaving I retrieved my bag and put my sandals back in. I think I heard someone mention barefoot guy, but I just headed straight for the exit. We took in some more sites on the street before leaving. It was a good last hurrah.

Final Thoughts
I am definitely looking for a nice masculine pair of soleless sandals. I think if I had worn them I could maybe have fooled the people at the tourist attractions. The hotel, maybe not since they would have seen me more and longer.

We also visited several different eating establishments and no one ever said a word about my feet. Most places we would buy the food and eat at the hotel, but I did sit at McDonalds Subway and Ignazio's with my bare feet. We also visited a few grocery stores and other shops not mentioned with no issues.

We put in a lot of miles, most days it was 10 miles with Wednesday being the most at 15 miles. My feet were a bit sore, but were doing pretty good. The sidewalks for the most part nice to walk on. There was one section of concrete near our hotel that was very worn and rough, but only for a bit, so easy to endure. At the edge of the road and sidewalk where you crossed would often have small stones and such but once again only for a few steps so it wasn’t a problem. I saw once piece of glass, no needles, no dog or cat poop, no vomit, but did smell urine a few times.

Met one lady who said she use to go barefoot all the time when she moved to New York City, but doesn't anymore, she didn't feel it was safe. Wish she hadn't disappeared so quickly. Also saw one musician playing the sax in Central Park barefoot and one guy at Battery Park, shirtless and barefoot, near the water play area.

It was a great time and very easy to see a lot of New York City in bare feet. I'd do it all again.

Attachments

• 27452486473_8669a1a2b2_o.jpg
    27452486473_8669a1a2b2_o.jpg
    973.5 KB · Views: 6
  • 27589026243_86905b1dd6_o.jpg
    27589026243_86905b1dd6_o.jpg
    263.2 KB · Views: 8
  • 28032888066_eb1d587c61_o.jpg
    28032888066_eb1d587c61_o.jpg
    843.9 KB · Views: 7
  • 28035068216_66a147117c_o.jpg
    28035068216_66a147117c_o.jpg