Flooded run

So today I went for a run without the stroller, Yay! It was a 6.05 mile run which I did completely barefoot (longest run since starting running again 7 months ago). It was 41 deg F when I left and nice and sunny out. I forgot what a difference it makes to have the sun on you even when it's chilly out with wet pavement. Before long I was stripping off my layers and was finally comfortable in short sleeve shirt and shorts.

It's a little over a mile down to this park by my house that I really like running in. We've had a ton of rain the last week or two so I wasn't sure if it was flooded or not. I hit the one spot that I know floods pretty easily and it was almost flooding over the paved path but not quite there yet. About 2 miles in there is a creek that normally passes perpindicular to the path that I run on and I could see a bunch of runners turning around at this point. As I neared a couple of runners told me it was flooded out and to turn around.

I looked at the flooding and looked at them and smiled and giggled a little. I kept going and ran right through. I turned and looked back as I was running through and their mouths were both open and you could see they were shocked and maybe a little jealous. It was only maybe 8 inches deep or so and man was it freaking cold, but it was fun and I was smiling splashing and laughing like a little kid so I didn't mind. I was surprised how fast my feet warmed up once out of the water. It only took maybe 5 seconds or so and then they were good.

I found some other sections that had been flooded but no longer were and they were covered in mud. I really learned an appreciation for the mud as I was able to really tell when ever I did something incorrect formwise as my feet would slip. You don't notice that when all you run on is pavement and concrete so it was refreshing and fun.

Seeing those runners reactions earlier really made me glad I don't have to worry about shoes getting wet. I wouldn't get to run as far and I wouldn't have so much fun running.

Thanks a lot!  Now I'm

Thanks a lot! Now I'm jealous! I haven't ran in a flood in a long, long time. I've had my rain runs, but the good old flood run comes once in a great while. Oh to see the looks on our shoddie friends' faces. ;-)

JT, it really wasn't that

JT, it really wasn't that bad. I went out today, this time pushing my son in his stroller and did 7 miles! It was 37 degrees F when I left and 39 degrees F by the time I got home. There was still a little flooding but not as bad and there was a ton of mud. Today was a fun run, I set out only to run 4 or 5 and ended up feeling so good I decided to do an extra lap through the park. Here's a pic of my muddy feet!

img_1922.jpg

that pic makes your foot look

that pic makes your foot look really wide, which i know it's not that wide. makes me feel better that people may not have the flippers their pictures appear to show.

hope you didn't blow yourself out before sunday.

Congrats! sounds like you had

Congrats! sounds like you had some fun. The good thing about being a BF runner is that your feet dry up as quick as they leave the water...not the case when running in shoes---brrrr.

I love running on the rain and going thru puddles of water but not this time of year only on Summer...I am a wimp when it comes to cold weather.

I haven't done flooded yet.

I haven't done flooded yet. But I love running through puddles on a rainy day. Now I understand why all my kids wanted to walk through puddles when they were little.
smile.png

Mike, Sunday I'm not going to

Mike, Sunday I'm not going to be trying to go for a PR. I have felt like a superhuman, for me that is, this week and have increased mileage so I also don't want to try to increase speed on top of that. Afraid of injuries. Sunday will just be a slow fun run for me while getting to meet some other BRS members.

Dama, I'm finding that if I can get the blood flowing and get my natural foot heater to kick in prior to running through water and mud I can run in pretty cold weather with no problems. It takes about a mile for that internal foot heater to kick in for me. I never would have believed it possible. I actually stopped for a couple minutes at the 3 mile mark just to inspect my feet and make sure I didn't have any numb spots I hadnt noticed while running and to text Mike he was missing out on a great run.

Support Your Club

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hadashi jon