Flip Flop Dancers

Longboard

Chapter Presidents
May 13, 2010
When I was a brand new teen attending semi-formal events I noted that most girls would slip off their shoes in order to dance in just their nylons.

In the early 80's I discovered that the young teen girls of the era would bring white sweatsocks with them to weddings and the like to slip over their nylons to dance in after de-shoeing.

Throughout the 90's I was pleased to see the majority of women following my wife's late 80's lead in just kicking off the shoes to dance in the comfort of totaly free feet and legs that had somehow become acceptable to the masses while of course at the same time leading to the demise of the panty hose industry.

A little over a year ago at our daughter's wedding I was a bit surprised to see how many twenty-something girls brought flip flops to change into for dancing after slipping out of their heels. They looked funny to me, dressed to the nines but for the white plastic flippies while dancing the night away. Were they really all that afraid of the wooden or tile dance floor?

Sunday night we went to a wedding and many of the girls did the exact same thing.

I thought dancing in nylons was dumb, slippery and such but it made more sense then leaving on the heels.

The white socks? Clunky looking but I guess it saved money in the long run. Bare feet of course looked right and made sense, but now they've gone a step backwards........flip flops for dancing?

I have to wonder if it is the idea that flips are fashionable, or that germs are everywhere and somehow rendered neutral by a flimsy rubber barrier.

I'll never understand women.

Then again all the men wore tight stiff & rigid un-ventilated elevated heel dress shoes with socks......except for me!

did you wear shoes during the

did you wear shoes during the ceremony or anything? my cousin's wedding is next week. i can dress up and i have shoes but i wore them out last week to dance and man they were tight.

Mike

ps. if you ever understand women you could make a lot of money as a coach for men.

Vivo Barefoot Ra's in black

Vivo Barefoot Ra's in black w/ black socks. First socks of '11. First closed heel as well.

Did'nt want to stand out during the couple's special day.

Went to my high school reunion last month barefoot though!

i want to wear my luna equus

i want to wear my luna equus but don't want my grandma or grandpa or cousin to kick my ass. my aunts i can handle and my uncles won't care, too much machisimo to worry about another guy. i know i'll do it at the party but not so sure about the wedding. i'll figure it out in the parking lot i'm sure.

Mike

Karen......just when you had

Karen......just when you had the guys all calmed down for a while!

Here's a clip of the flash mob dance from the wedding I was at Sunday. When the bridesmaids hit the floor you can see a few pairs of white flips, looks pretty out of place with the black dresses if you ask me.

Karen's footwear would have looked way cooler.

And yes, I was in the "in crowd" that was rehearesd, prepped, and ready to enter with the last of the crowd near the end. A bored sharp eye can see me enter from the right rear as we are looking at it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vMfFVk98fsk

Very creative, and very

Very creative, and very pretty, Karen. I don't think I could pull those off with a coat and tie, though.

I'm now settling into Fuquay-Varina after the move from Atlanta last month. My work phone is 910-570-6671 if you want to try to schedule a run sometime. I remember that you're in the Raleigh-Durham area, but I can't remember exactly where in the area you live. I think Lownox is in Holly Springs; perhaps we could make it a group get-together.

Phil

Weird.  I've not seen that

Weird. I've not seen that with flip-flops. I still mostly still see ladies kick off their heels and dance barefoot (as many did at the Reggae festival I was at last weekend).

The last formal(ish) occasion I attended was a cocktail party fundraiser at a local museum. I wore my 'little black dress' and these. They were originally a couple of necklaces that I modified.

IMG_0852_2.jpg

IMG_0853_2.jpg

Peace,

Karen

I attended a wedding a couple

I attended a wedding a couple of weeks ago and noticed much the same thing. At this one, I'd say about half the ladies were barefoot and the other half switched to flip-flops. I wore shoes for the first time in forever, but shed them about halfway through the reception. Equal rights, and all that!

I blogged about it here: http://ahcuah.wordpress.com/2011/07/30/just-being-comfortable/

I LOVE THOSE, KAREN!  Very

I LOVE THOSE, KAREN! Very cute, very clever!

Karen, those are cute.

Karen,

those are cute. while i'm secure in my sexuality i couldn't pull anything off like that. i wouldn't mind getting my toe nails done but won't get a french pedicure or any color. that is until winter comes i'll paint them purple so i can people that yes, my feet are cold.

Support Your Club

Natural Running Center

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Raramuri7