Five Fingers going to Hell

If you go to the birthday

If you go to the birthday shoe site you there is an banner off to the side that you can click on and see the 2011 line. I tried to link it but it wasn't working.

As willie says Vibram has

As willie says Vibram has been around for a long time, since 1935, and Five Fingers are an interesting, small, sub-set of their global business.

I'm sure they'll keep making them until interest fades away - and they'll be sure to develop more, activity specific, models.

Holy moley, I didn't know

Holy moley, I didn't know they had been around so long! But I'm at the ripe old age of 23 so that explains it. Just think it's funny that almost every (except the european) minimal shoe company uses Vibram's rubber sole material. It really must be the best & lightest for the purpose.

But now we're talking construction, not about VFFs.

So, carry on with the VFF shoe discussion...:eek:ups:

Longboard wrote:I understood

Longboard said:
I understood the reason for toe pockets in the original Vibram 5's when it came to carrying kayaks over rugged underwater terrain, but never thought them neccesary for running provided a wide enough toe box were provided allowing for toe splay.

Don't forget that they were also targeting the climbing crowd. Which they are, in my opinion, an awesome climbing shoe.

Mary, you can scratch minimal

Mary, you can scratch minimal from that post. Almost every shoe company has at one point or another made a shoe with a Vibram sole. They really are that big.

They're huge here in the

They're huge here in the U.S. I see their rubber soles "under" everything. I'm thinking most of my hubby's work boots have had the Vibram sole as well.

I have to agree about the

I have to agree about the VFFs being an awesome climbing shoe.

I came a bit late to the VFFs. I had already been running BF for about 10 months, and doing trails in invisibleshoe huaraches when my vibrams arrived (classics). I disliked them quite a bit until the first time I wore them to the playground with my daughters. Wow, is all I can say. I was swinging around the monkey bars like an 8 year old. The girls loved it that I was climbing to the top of the structures and hanging upside down with them.

I have to add that I am NOT a rock climber. I've been out a couple of times with friends and HATED the shoes. Some other close friends that are climbers are moving up near us this spring and will likely want us to join them out climbing. So I may get out this summer.

I am with Jason on this

I am with Jason on this topic.

Hard to argue with someone that has tried so many minimalist shoes... and I have only tried VFF and huraches. If Vivos weren't so expensive I would try them. I would also like to try Luna's... Bourbon Feet inspires me with his successes with Luna's. ...and you can't beat them for breathability. :)

...my 2 cents.

I started running in VFFs - I

I started running in VFFs - I alternate between KSOs (which are really neat-looking, IMO, orange & black variety) and a pair of Treks (with the bulit-up sole). The Treks are great in the cold weather. I could not get my phat toes into the Flows, otherwise, I'd have a pair of those as well as they are designed for cold conditions (so they say). I wear my VFFs only for running / hiking / biking / playing the drums in cold venues... not crazy about their 'closeness' so i don't use them for everyday, routine wear. I get a lot of comments & questions about the VFFs while running, so I get to talk about barefoot running a lot, though i feel a tad guilty because i am hardly an expert.

I'd love to try other minimal shoes. I've never seen any of the other brands mentioned, nor have i been to the Vibram website to look at the 2011 stuff. Did see the Bikilas in a shop last weekend - very interesting!

That said, i am doing more unshod running & enjoying it tremendously!

lownox wrote:If Vivos weren't

lownox said:
If Vivos weren't so expensive I would try them.

not sure if Jason had mentioned this before, but in his review of the Evo 2's there is a coupon code at the bottom for 25% off until the end of the year. it only brings them down to $120, but that's a little closer to "normal" prices anyway (if that helps at all). It actually had me considering them for a little while (and they may even still be a possibility if my othter winter options don't pan out).

Well, I have come late to the

Well, I have come late to the VFF bandwagon, only having heard about them early this summer. I love my bikilas and my classics, and I'm looking forward to what they're coming out with in March. I agree that their quality control issues were annoying this year, due to their popularity...but hey you win some and you lose some. I have looked at a lot of the other minimalist shoes, and they just don't have the same appeal to me as the Vibrams. I can't exactly put my finger on why - they all just seem too much like "regular" shoes to me. Maybe it's the separated toes that makes them feel more like barefoot. I just love the glove-like feel of them. I really hope they don't "go to hell" as the OP mentions...because I really like what they've been doing.

treeves wrote: I have looked

treeves said:
I have looked at a lot of the other minimalist shoes, and they just don't have the same appeal to me as the Vibrams. I can't exactly put my finger on why - they all just seem too much like "regular" shoes to me. Maybe it's the separated toes that makes them feel more like barefoot. I just love the glove-like feel of them. I really hope they don't "go to hell" as the OP mentions...because I really like what they've been doing.

+1

I really don't get the appeal of the Evo's in the minimal footwear world, they are a shoe. Plus $160, give me a break!

The EVO is like a

The EVO is like a OneFinger.

Welcome, Peter!

My original thoughts about

My original thoughts about Vibrams are based on their slip in quality, direction toward aesthetics over function, and the soon-to-be-available minimalist shoes. Vibram has clearly spoken- Five Fingers are NOT a corporate priority. This is immediately evident to anyone that communicates with them. The company itself seems to be preparing to pass the torch to other more capable shoe manufacturers. As several have pointed out, Vibram is and always has been a sole manufacturer, not a shoe manufacturer.

For those that ran in the pre-2009 versions of VFFs, you will notice the downward slide.

Of course, I am still pondering buying a pair of brown leather Treks for work just for the "WTF factor".
wink_smile.gif

The WTF factor fits well with

The WTF factor fits well with the AW factor, so I say go for it!

I don't see any reason for

I don't see any reason for VFFs. They don't a give a BF runner the advantage that shoes give in cold-wet Winter and, they're not as good as huaraches for protection from heat. HOWEVER, they are the only minimalist shoe designed by BF runners. The range of motion they provide is far better than that of any minimalist shoe from other companies. Once someone makes a toebox version of the VFF Sprint - and I mean copies *everything* except the toe-pockets, that will be the definitive minimalist shoe. Barefoot runners could use it in cold-wet Winter. Shod runners could use it the same as they curently use the VFF. AWs would be out of luck but I'm fine with that.

Support Your Club

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Raramuri7

Latest posts