First Fully Barefoot Running Today

ajw1970

Barefooters
Jun 29, 2011
Hello All,

I'm new to the site and new to barefoot running. Last year I started running for weight loss and found that I loved it. I ran into problems with my shins and feet early on and decided to spend my recovery time studying... I came across the Pose method of running and researched that as much as possible without a coach. I ended up getting the VFF's and worked my way up in those as I trained myself to land midfoot while trying to avoid even placing my heal on the ground.

It had never occurred to me to literally run barefoot. This year, I started running again and even with a great deal of strength training in the gym over the last 5 months, my calves were aching and so I was disapointed to find that. Just a couple weeks ago I was given the book Born to Run and read that over Father's Day weekend. Awesome book! I realized that my self taught attempt at the Pose method had taught me to avoid striking with my heel but wasn't helping me relax and run gently. My calves were constantly under tension as I was doing all that I could to keep my heels in the air.

I just finished Barefoot Ken Bob's Step by Step book and got in my first rough surface barefoot training session in earlier this week. Wasn't full on fresh crushed gravel but it was a hard packed dirt trail with fine gravel which certainly wasn't pleasant. I walked around the park on that trail and then turned around and walked back.

Today I went back to that park but walked there barefoot from my hotel on a brick paved street. I mostly walked the path again this time but did a short burst of slow running and found that it seemed to hurt less than walking on it. I'm assuming this is due to more knee bend and quicker lifting of the feet... but anyway... I then continued walking along the city sidewalks and put in a full 1/2 hour barefoot on various surfaces. I did about a total of 1 block doing a slow run.

I tried walking the trail again on the way back to my hotel but it hurt a lot more after so much time on my bare feet and so I stayed on the sidewalks all the way back.

I did intentionally continue stepping on a few objects that I thought might hurt. One was a rusty piece of bent wire and I'm sure I must've stepped on some glass at least once on that trail... there was lots of it. I was suprised that the wire didn't hurt at all. The only unbearable pain came from small rocks sticking to my feet from time to time and then the same spot was getting hit with each step... a quick brush off resolved those issues with only a slight hitch to step.

I'm quite excited about the feedback I'm getting and how I can make adjustments to my cadence and form to examine the effect on my ability to step lightly without scuffing and while maintaining a relaxed feel to my calves. Can't wait to get in some more barefooting this weekend!

Happy running!

--John

I'm excited for you, John. 

I'm excited for you, John. It will only get better from here. I hope you are allowing your heel to rest for just a slight moment before lift-off again though. Ken Bob and all other good instructors of barefoot running believe this is the normal, natural, and right way to do it, and so do I. If you don't, you will over stress your calves and could possibly pull something.

Do you suppose that Romanov added the "don't let your heel touch" thinking to the Pose Method in order to get people (who were running in big bulky heeled running shoes) to stop heel striking and to use more of a midfoot landing? That must have been his thinking. What does he say about the heel touch (heel kiss) for people running barefoot or in zero drop footwear?

We believe that a mid/forefoot plant with a kissing of the heel to the ground afterwards is the ideal running form.

I too find that running on any surface is much easier than walking on any surface. I believe this does have to do with the bent knee which decreases impact forces, as you mentioned.

Welcome. Once you get used to

Welcome. Once you get used to running on that gravel, everything else is cake

Welcome! After you get your

Welcome!

After you get your feet a bit toned for BF running you actually are permitted to seek out PLEASANT running surfaces. It's noted in the fine print. Running so all you really need to concentrate on is your form and not OUCH! can be a lovely thing. What's "pleasant" will be a widening range as you get more experience. Have fun!

Thanks all for the

Thanks all for the replies!

Yes, I am allowing my calf to relax now so that my whole foot touches the ground. I'm not sure about what Romanov had in mind as I didn't really pursue that beyond a few instructional videos and my best efforts to implement what I thought I was seeing... I do know that relaxing my calf feels better, easier, and natural.

I just did a bit over a mile on rough asphalt? today. I live in a small town and we have the small rough gravel mixed with tar and smashed down the longer you drive on it type of stuff for streets. Not sure if that's asphalt or what... pretty rough. The cracks get repaired with tar I guess. I twas gooey under my toes as it's pretty hot and sunny out today.

I probably ran 1/4th of it. I ran up a hill and the rest was flat running. My driveway has some gravel and loose street rocks so I was able to start and finish with a good sensory stimulus package. :)

I do agree with the concept of starting rough so that the rest are easy... I already made the mistake of going with VFF's before BFR... the extra feedback is incredible.

I'm volunteered to help with the local running club's offering of the C25K class (couch to 5k) this year which begins soon. I'm hoping to do that barefoot. We do it on a cement running trail and we start off with lots of interval between running and walking. So I don't expect it to be a problem. I think I ran in my BFF's once or twice while taking that class last year... should be interesting to see the reactions this year.

My wife went out with me today and was a bit embarassed about her husband looking crazy... did have one lady stop her riding lawn mower and giggle while she watched me go by. I think she had stopped to avoid the exit side of the mower facing us but the giggling was for my feet I'm sure.

Hope you're all having a great weekend!

Welcome, John.  Sounds like

Welcome, John. Sounds like you're well on your way.

I've always called what you're describing "asphalt" as well, but you'll often hear it referred to on this site as "chip and seal." It took me the longest time to figure out what these guys were talking about.

Enjoy!

Support Your Club

Natural Running Center

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Raramuri7