First 5k

i don't hold but maybe more flick my toes up before coming down. after twice stubbing my toes it became a necessary skill. i don't lift my feet that high so i constantly kick things.

LOL, ya we should have a club of the dimwits that refuse to listen to what our body is telling us.
The problem is our brain has its own notion about things, and it tends to talk louder than the
poor body... saying things like 'Oh come ON you whimp, you can't even run another mile, you're
such a BABY...." :D

That's called TESTOSTERONE. :)

Reactions: Bare Lee
When you initially start holding your toes upward, while running (to avoid cracking your toe on crap like I initially did, twice), those specific muscles build up over time and then you no longer have to concentrate on holding them up because they hold themselves up naturally, hence, no more unnatural tension.

When you initially start holding your toes upward, while running (to avoid cracking your toe on crap like I initially did, twice), those specific muscles build up over time and then you no longer have to concentrate on holding them up because they hold themselves up naturally, hence, no more unnatural tension.

That's good to know that over time the muscles will start to do naturally what they should to avoid unnecessary pain. I did a training run yesterday and made a conscious effort to keep from flexing my toes up as I had been and my feet feel SO much better. I was able to run 3.6 miles and there wasn't much suffering at all (aside from the usual leg burning lol) Great job on the race over the weekend Jen...and nice pic in the write up lol.

Reactions: jldeleon
I noticed last Sunday that I really pull mine up while outside...just need to adapt I suppose.
Something else regarding this, is that, the better your form -if you are really lifting your feet up quickly- the less likely you are to whack your foot anyway. That being said, trail running is different because of inclines and declines it is more difficult to keep this steady. Though ultimately the terrain rules what you do to modify your form. Obviously if you have to dodge a lot of large rocks and roots, you will end up prancing like a horse. But I guess what I'm saying is, even in trail running, there really should not be a whole lot of forward movement with your feet, rather up and down -which should also help decrease the whacking of the foot. You propel yourself forward by shifting your center of gravity.

Reactions: Colin
LOL, ya we should have a club of the dimwits that refuse to listen to what our body is telling us.
The problem is our brain has its own notion about things, and it tends to talk louder than the
poor body... saying things like 'Oh come ON you whimp, you can't even run another mile, you're
such a BABY...." :D

Interception...

Jay, I am not sure you have your profile set to receive alerts, so I thought I'd tell you here. Come on over to the Oregon Chapter, we have a discussion going on under Newbie Group Run that you should be a part of. Muah-ha-haaa!

Support Your Club

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Raramuri7