First 5k barefoot race with a PR

Freerunner

Barefooters
May 8, 2010
Haven't been on this forum in forever. But just started getting back into running again after my long layoff this summer. I started my training runs like normal but after some nasty shin splints decided to try my hand at barefoot running again. I entered one 5k race thinking I was going to tackle it barefoot but chickened out after I saw how rough the asphalt felt. But during the race after the first loop I decided to just go for it and removed my shoes and went barefoot. And even though my feet were tender from it felt awesome to say I ran a race barefoot.

Next weekend signed up for another race and I wasn't intending to run it barefoot but after seeing they had a timing chip with an ankle strap they gave us. If this wasn't a perfect excuse to go barefoot I don't know what isn't. So removed my shoes and got to the starting line. Where I train running barefoot is at a park with nice smooth concrete surface. This 5k had its spots where the gravel started to hurt my feet I almost regretted going barefoot but I finished strong at the end. Was such a good feeling to know that I did a whole race barefoot. And when I checked my time I actually PR'd. Someone even came up to me after the race and asked to look at my feet after seeing I went barefoot.

Next goal is to get a 10k and who knows maybe a half marathon in.

Those are great

Those are great accomplishments, Free! I love that they have the ankle strap WITH the timing device. It's as if they wanted to encourage us barefoot runners. Hee.

Good job Free! Before you

Good job Free! Before you know it rough gravel won't be a problem, you'll hardly notice it.

Support Your Club

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Raramuri7

Latest posts