Ey up from Yorkshire, UK

I live in the lovely Dales, so lots of fells to be had. I currently run in Xero shoes, though would love it if a shoe manufacturer would create some minimal fell running shoes. I love my Xero's but they are not very sticky in bogs! Fell running shoes also tend to be really narrow thus no good for me.

I run fells. I run ultras. I run trails.

I recently lost my running mojo, and it's only just coming back. As a result, my feet hurt again (but at least my knees, hips and shins don't).

Reactions: Barefoot TJ
Welcome, Tim! Glad you've joined us.

I think the best option at the moment is Vivobarefoot Primus Trail SG, not perfect but the best option at the moment.

Vivobarefoot's don't fit me very well. If only they did half sizes. I did have a pair of the early trail shoes but because of the sizing and the wide foot opening I'd I'd lose them in claggy mud. I thought I'd found the perfect shoe in the Merrell Trail Glove but when I went to replace my Trail Glove 4s, they were obsolete. I punted for the 5s but they are so far removed from their predecessor they are unwearable (added arch support for starters). I still have them unworn, unloved, in a box waiting to get sold at some point. I love the Xero's. I did a 47 miler with them straight out of the box. No blisters. Just one black toenail. They are fantastic for dry, rocky or even damp, leafy trails but anywhere there's a mud and grass combo.. no good at all. I have some Inov-8 Bare-Grips (another obsolete shoe) which are fantastic for the muddy, boggy fells but they are really narrow, and cause me pain after a while. A shame because everything else about them is spot-on. It's an absolute nightmare trying to find the right shoe, isn't it? I am tempted to go for the wider fell shoe offering from Inov-8, but it does mean having to compromise in terms of a 3mm drop and a bit more padding. So long as the arch support is missing, or is very soft, should be OK.

Ey up Tim..
Welcome. Good to have you on board.
Can’t really help with shoe choices (although I also have some zeros which are pretty good when required).
Looking forward to hearing how you get on retrieving your mojo!:)

Mojo retrieval hindered by a potentially torn calf muscle today. It went on me last night. Feels like a tear.

Welcome, Tim! Glad you've joined us.

Thanks. Good to be on board.

Reactions: Barefoot TJ
Vivobarefoot's don't fit me very well. If only they did half sizes. I did have a pair of the early trail shoes but because of the sizing and the wide foot opening I'd I'd lose them in claggy mud. I thought I'd found the perfect shoe in the Merrell Trail Glove but when I went to replace my Trail Glove 4s, they were obsolete. I punted for the 5s but they are so far removed from their predecessor they are unwearable (added arch support for starters). I still have them unworn, unloved, in a box waiting to get sold at some point. I love the Xero's. I did a 47 miler with them straight out of the box. No blisters. Just one black toenail. They are fantastic for dry, rocky or even damp, leafy trails but anywhere there's a mud and grass combo.. no good at all. I have some Inov-8 Bare-Grips (another obsolete shoe) which are fantastic for the muddy, boggy fells but they are really narrow, and cause me pain after a while. A shame because everything else about them is spot-on. It's an absolute nightmare trying to find the right shoe, isn't it? I am tempted to go for the wider fell shoe offering from Inov-8, but it does mean having to compromise in terms of a 3mm drop and a bit more padding. So long as the arch support is missing, or is very soft, should be OK.

Mojo retrieval hindered by a potentially torn calf muscle today. It went on me last night. Feels like a tear.

Ouch! Not good news. Plenty of ice and rehab etc.. hopefully it won’t take too long to fix..

One option could be to get a pair of existing running shoes resoled by LSR. They have a fell running sole and the service costs £40.

https://lancashiresportsrepairs.co.uk/running-shoe-repairs-and-resoles/

You can see an example of a previous resole with the fell sole here.

https://www.facebook.com/Lancashire...-look-at-wwwlancashiresport/1950395018567931/

I have used them in the past for other resoles and they have been good.

Support Your Club

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Raramuri7