Extreme pronation and knee pain - advice?

nbr

Barefooters
Sep 2, 2011
Phoenixville, PA
Hello, I'm new to these forums. Apologies if this has been posted already -- search didn't turn anything up.

The last few times I've run (in VFFs as the surface I was running on was a little too rough to go totally barefoot, which is what I prefer), I have experienced some significant pain on the posterior and inner part of my knee, as well as some swelling at the upper edge of the kneecap. I seem to have a lot of stiffness and tightness in one thigh.

It has lasted a few days now, so I spoke to a friend of mine who's a very competent physical therapist (whose opinion I take seriously). She looked at my feet and was shocked at how turned-in my ankles are, as a result of having so much pronation as to have essentially flat feet. Her recommendation -- not surprisingly -- was to stop running barefoot and to wear something with arch support.

I'm wondering if anyone here has had success dealing with similar conditions without giving up on barefoot running? I've seen some references to arch-strengthening exercises, but so far I haven't been able to find anything real specific.

Thanks in advance for whatever advice you might have. I should add, I'm still pretty new to running (barefoot or otherwise -- been doing it less than a year, and only a few times a week at most). I'm tall, 6'1", was significantly overweight when I took up running and am now pretty close to a healthy weight, and I have a history of back problems possibly related to bad gait / biomechanical issues.

Nathan

You have a weak arches because you wear shoes. But, when you suddenly remove that support, your arches do not instantly become stronger, they need to have time to build up. Stop barefoot running for now. Research exercises specifically for arches and do them daily. Go barefoot during your daily activities. Go for a short barefoot walk, daily. Then build up to barefoot hiking. Then barefoot running.

Reactions: NickW
You have a weak arches because you wear shoes. But, when you suddenly remove that support, your arches do not instantly become stronger, they need to have time to build up. Stop barefoot running for now. Research exercises specifically for arches and do them daily. Go barefoot during your daily activities. Go for a short barefoot walk, daily. Then build up to barefoot hiking. Then barefoot running.
+1
I used to have "flat" arches, now it's a non issue.
The only other thing to add is to work on your whole body posture during all your activities. Learn to balance on your whole foot, with proper back posture. Learn to walk in a more balanced way. Learn to stand with proper posture. For me, working on all those things together with the arch exercises made a huge difference in how my whole body felt, and knee issues went away entirely.

Thanks for the suggestions. Do either of you have particular arch-strengthening exercises you like? And regarding posture and balanced gait, were there particular cues or problem areas you found helpful to focus on?

These are my favorites. I do them veeeeery slowly.

Stair Raises for Arch Strength

Another way to increase arch strength is toe raises on a stair or raised board. Stand on a step or board at least three to four inches off the ground with only the ball of your foot on the board and the rest of your heel and foot hanging slightly below the toes. Start with your foot in a neutral position and raise up to your tiptoes, pressing down with your toes. When you lower, resist the urge to drop your heel too far below the stair line; that is really a calf exercise, and your focus is on your arch. Ten arch raises per set and three sets should be easily accomplished without pain.

Read more: http://www.livestrong.com/article/415124-arch-building-exercises-for-flat-feet/#ixzz1vN1n1qfU