Ever been a race director before?

Norm Deplume

Barefooters
Apr 3, 2010
In my small town, there are exactly two races every year. One in April (a 4-mile road race) and one in August (a 5k trail run). For everything else, we have to drive to one of the larger cities around us, usually a 30-45 minute drive. So you can imagine our dismay when we saw that the trail race was cancelled this summer. Mr Deplume knows the guy who has historically been the RD, and found out that he's "retiring" from directing that race. 48 hours later, my husband is the new RD.

We've been put in contact with the other trail RDs in the area, and have a list of who/where all the insurance and shirts and snacks and medals come from, but the fact is, we don't know what the hell we're doing. (at least I don't. The husbeast might have unknown skills, but I doubt it). Anyone been through this? Advice for me?

Husbeast!  Ha, funny!I

Husbeast! Ha, funny!

I started the All American 5K benefit run for a soldier who lost his legs in Afghanistan, but I handed it over to someone who has tons of experience in this arena. I felt it best to let the event be successful instead of get all the credit, to be honest. Now I just assist the RD anyway I can, like making the flyers, posters, and race applications, delivering all such printing materials, handing out applications, contacting the various race calendar sites around Georgia, contacting other local running clubs, moms clubs, church groups, etc., with the info, working the registration table, AND HOPEFULLY IF I HEAL BY THE END OF THIS MONTH, run the event too. I'm sure the two of you can pull this off and it be a great success. If you know of anyone who wouldn't mind your asking questions of from time-to-time, it would be helpful. Maybe you could join or start a local running club to get that support and feedback. There's also the RRCA. They have lots of info on organizing a race. Oh, and don't forget to include a barefoot runners division. Ha. ;-)

Here's some notes I took when I was starting this out:

Go to the USATF website (www.usatf.org) and click on "Products/Services" and then hit "Publications" in the drop down box, you will see the "2009 USATF Competition Rules" book. It's a freebie.

I was able to locate, download, and print "ROAD RUNNERS CLUB OF AMERICA-GUIDELINES FOR SAFE ROAD AND TRAIL RACES (from www.rrca.org).

While I was there, I was able to print the "highlights" to the book below, but at $100, you might try to find it someone. (I doubt the library would have it, but you can check there.) It's not available for purchase through Amazon or Barnes and Noble:

Presenting RRM's Complete Guide to Race Directing!
Table of Contents:
IntroductionChapter 1: Taking the PlungeChapter 2: Budget & FinancesChapter 3: Race TimetableChapter 4: Course DesignChapter 5: SponsorshipChapter 6: Attracting EntrantsChapter 7: Entry Forms and Runner ConfirmationChapter 8: Medical/Safety IssuesChapter 9: Legal and InsuranceChapter 10: VolunteersChapter 11: Equipment, Supplies and Key PersonnelChapter 12: Special Event CategoriesChapter 13: Municipal RelationsChapter 14: Rules of CompetitionChapter 15: Hotel and ExpoChapter 16: Logistics - Start to FinishChapter 17: Timing, Scoring and ResultsChapter 18: Awards and Award CeremoniesChapter 19: Post RaceChapter 20: Special Types of RacesChapter 21: Before Next YearRoad Race Management's
Organizing Running Events:
The Complete Guide to Staging a Successful Road RaceNow Available!Organizing Running Events: The Complete Guide to Staging a Successful Road Race is destined to become a "must-have" resource for race directors, running clubs, charities, recreation departments, and other organizations seeking to enter the fast-growing world of organized running events.
Testimonials:"If you follow what is offered in Organizing Running Events: A Complete Guide to Staging a Successful Road Race, a virtual A to Z checklist of what needs to be accomplished, you will become very successful in this business and your event will prosper for many, many years to come. My only disappointment is that it wasn?t written 30 years ago when I was just getting started." - Dave McGillivray
President, DMSE, Inc., and Race Director, BAA Boston Marathon"This is an easy read and will provide a wealth of information for those that are organizing and producing a running event for the first time or, like me, for the 17th time!" - Susan Harmeling
Director, Bank of America Gasparilla Distance Classic, Tampa, FL
Organizing Running Eventsprovides a single-source, complete overview of race directing drawn from the knowledge acquired from publishing Road Race Management newsletter for over 25 years.The 21 chapters in the new Guide cover sponsorship, finances, course design, medical issues, supplies and equipment, timing and scoring using traditional and transponder systems, elite athletes, legal issues, rules and much, much more.CLICK HERE TO ORDER
Organizing Running Events
Phil Stewart
4940 Hampden Ln., Suite 212
Bethesda, MD 20814
Phone:
301-320-6865
Fax: 301-320-9164
www.rrm.com
To unsubscribe from this list, please send an email to CLICK HERE FOR MORE INFORMATION[/b]

I don't think the race is

I don't think the race is big enough to have a BFR division, but I've run the trails, and they are super-duper BF-friendly. It will be on the publicity for the race for sure. ;)

Thanks for the RRCA and USATF info. I'm sure that will help. We're planning to start a running group here in town, but it won't be really all that well-formed before this race, I fear. the closest town has a good runners group that will be doing the timing for us.

All you need for a BFR

All you need for a BFR division is one barefoot runner. Seriously, we have to start somewhere, right, no matter how silly. Who knows? Next year you may have two runners, then three, then four...

I took first place female barefoot runner at the Omaha Half Marathon (third year hosting this division) because I was the only female barefoot runner to run the half, second place overall behind Benny. There were five of us total, three of us ran the full (first, second, and third place). Ha, so hysterical, but fun.

Support Your Club

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Raramuri7

Latest posts