Encouraging comments at the gym

sloutre

Barefooters
Aug 7, 2010
On weekdays I run at the YMCA, on their indoor track. It's boring, but they have free babysitting...and air conditioning.

I've ran there with running shoes, with beach shoes, with socks nobody ever said anything to me. I avoid real barefoot to not draw to much attention as I know their policy is shoes only.

This morning, as I was going to enter the track room a staff member stopped me and asked me to wear shoes (I had only socks on). I tried to explain that I practice running barefoot and that shoes negatively affect my practice but eventually I went back tyo the lockers room to get my shoes. I use a pair of OneMany without the inner sole, they are so thin and flexible...and cheap (http://www.newfeel-shoes.com/EN/one-120782664/)

As I was running the same guy came to the track several times and I felt like he was checking if I didn't take my shoes off, I was a little mad.

After about 30 min I started running a little faster, I like to practise different speeds toward the end of my training. Then another staff member stood by the door and was watching me. After a few turns around the track he signalled me to stop and come listen to him....Arrrrg, I knew he was going to explain to me why I had to wear shoes, that's the policy, safety , hygiene, etc.
flat.png

In fact the guy said he liked very much the way I was running. He's a former track coach and he's son is a 400m champion or something. He asked if I was trying to land on the ball of my foot. I said no, I try not too, but when forced to wear shoes I tend to do it. We talked about barefoot running. He basically said that I look like I'm putting minimal stress on my body, my arm movement is good. He gave me some advice but then jsut said that I should not think too much while I'm running, just do what feels right and enjoy it.

It was very encouraging to me since i'm pretty new to running. When I started in May I could not run 5 min with taking a break. I never ran in school. I always thought I didn't know how to run. Then I tried barefoot running and I feel like I'm making progress, particularly when I can run outdoors.

Stephanie

That's awesome, Stephanie!

That's awesome, Stephanie! I'm glad you got such great feedback from the coach. Now I'm off to check out the shoes you linked to. :)

The shoes are not so great

The shoes are not so great for running (of course), they flex easily but they are slippery and I don't feel enough through the sole. But they are great for walking. I bought them in France and was wearing them every day in Paris and they felt better than my other pairs of shoes. I think they are good for non-running days. And some colors are really stylish.

Stephanie

For shoes, those looks like

For shoes, those looks like good ones. Do you always remove the insole?

I was mad and feeling for you while reading your story, and when that guy called you over, I was hoping you were going to give him an earfull about your being a customer and that you were following their rules when asked, but instead, I was pleased he noticed the good in what you were wanting to do for yourself. Turned out all right.

When walking I keep the

When walking I keep the insoles. They are not very thick but offer nice cushioning. For running I remove them.

Great story Stephanie,

Great story Stephanie, hopefully he had a talk with the other guy and they'll let you run as minimal as you want (ehem, barefoot) ;)

Cool shoes too, I might have to check them out. Think they'd be good for winter running?

Support Your Club

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Raramuri7