Do you go up a size?

buzgal

Barefooters
Jan 30, 2012
When purchasing a new running shoe do you go up a size to account for swelling? Running barefoot is just much easier because there are no sizing issues! :) However I want to incorporate more trail running and looking to purchase a good minimalist trail running shoe.

Thanks!
Sarah

barefeet on the trails feels incredible. especially if there's mud. it's squishy and sometimes you ski a little.

i like to taste dirt every so often in different places. it helps when i get lost.

Sarah it depends on the shape of the shoe. If the shoe has a good foot shape then you wont need a lot of extra space. The extra space given to shoe sizing is usually accounting for the fact that the toe box is tapered and in order to keep the toes from banging into the shoe they give you extra length. One thing to remember is that as the shoe lengthens it also get wider and the placement of the instep/arch are moving as well so more space can sometimes mean the shoe really isn't fitting right at all. When it comes to swelling that is really what the laces are for. If your foot swells you just need to loosen the laces and you should be ok so I'd make sure the shoe fits right from end to end first and the rest should be ok.

For the sake of recommendations since you are a barefooter I'd say to try the new Minimus Zero by New Balance. It's got a somewhat odd feel for some but it's an overall pretty good shoe. Merrell is obviously there as well but I'm just not a fan of the narrow mid foot. If you're wanting something somewhat "heavy duty" then I love the Altra Lone Peak. It's heavier than some of the other shoes which is a bit of a draw back for some. I've found I like the extra weight at times because it really gives my legs a workout. Inov-8 also has some pretty nice trail options but the sizing for them can be a bit tricky so I'd say to try and find a place to try them on before you buy.

Reactions: buzgal
Sarah it depends on the shape of the shoe. If the shoe has a good foot shape then you wont need a lot of extra space. The extra space given to shoe sizing is usually accounting for the fact that the toe box is tapered and in order to keep the toes from banging into the shoe they give you extra length. One thing to remember is that as the shoe lengthens it also get wider and the placement of the instep/arch are moving as well so more space can sometimes mean the shoe really isn't fitting right at all. When it comes to swelling that is really what the laces are for. If your foot swells you just need to loosen the laces and you should be ok so I'd make sure the shoe fits right from end to end first and the rest should be ok.

For the sake of recommendations since you are a barefooter I'd say to try the new Minimus Zero by New Balance. It's got a somewhat odd feel for some but it's an overall pretty good shoe. Merrell is obviously there as well but I'm just not a fan of the narrow mid foot. If you're wanting something somewhat "heavy duty" then I love the Altra Lone Peak. It's heavier than some of the other shoes which is a bit of a draw back for some. I've found I like the extra weight at times because it really gives my legs a workout. Inov-8 also has some pretty nice trail options but the sizing for them can be a bit tricky so I'd say to try and find a place to try them on before you buy.

Thanks a bunch for the info. :) I went to the New Balance store the other day and tried on the Minimus 10. The lady at the store said to go with a size 10 but I thought the 9.5 fit better. I was kind of thinking the Minimus Zero might not be quite enough for the rocky trails here? They didn't have any in store that I could try on to get a feel for them. Anyway I have a badly bruised big toenail from running a 24 hour race in my Merrell Pure Gloves on Dec. 31. It's affected my running quite a bit since then. I want to avoid that from happening again so I am trying to find a proper fitting minimalist shoe for trails. It's tricky because there are few in store options to try on.
Thanks again for your reply!
Sarah

If you're running on some rough stuff then the zero might not be enough if you're looking for solid protection. The issue there is that there really isn't a minimal option that offers super protection. Minimal shoes create the need for a more alert approach to the trails that requires more avoidance of terrain than powering over and through it. If you're looking to really protect yourself from rocks then I'd get the Lone Peak as it's designed specifically for that type of running and offers an amazingly smooth ride on the rough stuff.

Also if you think the shoe fits and are comfortable with it then the store reps recommendations are pointless unless there is some sort of info about the shoe's performance that you don't know. I love specialty running and shoe stores in general and I work with them all the time but they only know what they are taught by either the store manager or the product reps that come and teach them about the shoe. I constantly find myself correcting the things a rep has "taught" to these people and it makes me angry because a sales person is in there spitting out something they have scripted by marketing people and they don't really know what they are talking about. It's good that the person gave you a recommendation but if you don't really like the fit they are offering you always go with what feel best for you.

"Minimal shoes create the need for a more alert approach to the trails that requires more avoidance of terrain than powering over and through it."

Loved that! Makes complete sense. I am new to trails so at a recent race I was carefully watching the more advance runners' strategy/technique for navigating the trail. Now I understand why that may not be helpful since most of them were wearing shoes that allow them to "attack" the terrain...

I may give the Lone Peak a try. I know my hubby really likes the Altra brand. Also their exchange/return policy looks good. Thanks for the recommendation!
-Sarah

Support Your Club

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hadashi jon