Deer Ticks and Mosquitoes

jimwb

Barefooters
Oct 8, 2011
I would be interested in your opinion on this one.

I run in the woods a lot. I was distressed because I found a deer tick on me in the morning. I didn’t get the characteristic bull’s eye bruise or the flu and I believe it was only on me for 11 hours so I am not that worried about lime disease.
However, I have two questions concerning ticks and mosquitoes which are horrible some times.

1) Is lime disease one occasion where antibiotics are a necessary thing?
2) Is deet a good or bad thing to put on your body before running in the woods?

Thanks,
Jim

I'm not a doc, and I hate to answer before they have had a chance, but what about that repellent device thingie you attach to your belt? This way, you don't have to worry about adding any chemicals to your skin that would be absorbed into your body.

Where I live there are ticks everywhere. When I clean the house, I find 1-3 at a time in random places, including the beds (YICK). I have indoor/outdoor cats, indoor/outdoor kids, a wild yard, woods; ticks are a fact of life, and bad this year.

Pick them off before they attach. Check yourself often.
They are slow and don't attach for a long time.
As I understand it, infection rates are very low. Or at least I hope.

I'm not a doc either, but I did stay at a Holiday Inn Express once...I believe Lymes disease stays with you, my dog has it but it's dormant or something, he doesn't have any effects from it right now.

I get bitten by ticks probably twice a week, and deer ticks are maybe half of those. I write down dates and times when i get deer tick bites. I figure if I get general malaise, I can bring in that evidence to the doctor, but I'm not sure I react to Lymes at all. My wife, on the other hand, had a severe case 10 or 12 years ago. Just antibiotics to kill it off (and she's been fine since). On the other hand, I know it can have truly life long implications for some.

When I use DEET, I shower it off as soon as I can. Sometimes that means it's on all day. Shrug.

TJ, I don't think those belt clip thingies would work: they are sort of built around the idea that you are sitting still building up a fog around you. And, I'm not sure they repel ticks anyway. They do a nice job on skeeters, though.

Jim,

You've answered part of your own question. Even after a deer tick bite, Lyme's isn't transferred immediately, and they don't bite immediately after landing on you. Make sure you or someone checks you out when you leave the woods and you should be ok.

As far as DEET goes, you really might not need it if you are searching for ticks as soon as you can after a run. I use it every once in a while if the skeets are "bugging" me. Don't get it in your eyes and wash it off when you can.

Support Your Club

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Raramuri7