Compartment Syndrome Experience

talonraid

Barefooters
Feb 11, 2011
Before I get completely banned or manage to extricate myself from RW...I thought I would move a few of my more valuable (in my opinion) posts over here. Here's one about Compartment Syndrome that was my answer to someone's question who thought they might have it and was considering surgery to correct it. I'll get my pictures moved over soon.

I was diagnosed with compartment syndrome in both legs a few years ago. After about 2 years of the military (best doctors you can get with little or no experience whatsoever) misdiagnosing it as shin splints, I went to a civilian sports medicine clinic. He was pretty excited to find a case of true compartment syndrome and brought in his medical students off of their rounds so that he could show them and allow them to ask me questions about it. I was a rockstar for a few weeks. Anyway, I guess it's pretty rare and the only way to truly diagnose it is to induce the symptoms and then jab a big a$$ needle in your legs to check the pressure. So, are you sure you have it???

Anyway, they presented me with two options: 1) stop running forever and the problem will go away or 2) have surgery to "release" the fascia surrounding the muscles on the front and back of the leg from ankle to knee. I opted for the surgery. I have some nice scars on the outside of each lower leg. I'll try to find the pictures and post (they are especially ghoulish). They basically split the fascia and it allows the muscles to expand out and not have the pressure build up inside.

The day after the surgery, I thought perhaps I had made a mistake. My legs felt like they were on fire for about two weeks. The recovery was a bit of a pain, but I followed the prescribed exercises closely and I haven't had any problems since. Looking back I'm glad I did it.

Oh, this was before I was running barefoot. I don't know if this matters to you.

Found the pics.Due to the

Found the pics.

Due to the graphic nature of the following...ah, they're not that bad..just look! The good news is I have no problems the compartment syndrome anymore and the scars have healed up so nicely that you really have to look to see them.

I thought you were a guy,

I thought you were a guy, Talon. You have purty legs and feet!

Is that a scar on your left inner calf too?

Did they do both legs on the same day?

How long ago were these surgeries?

Show us "after pictures."

talonraid wrote:Barefoot TJ

talonraid said:
Barefoot TJ said:
I thought you were a guy, Talon.

Hey TJ,

Thanks for "tee-ing" me up just right for Pilot who should be along anytime now to smack the crap out of me. I should be hearing shortly about "no men in the Air force" or something along those lines.

get some pics of them now. The scars are hardly noticeable unless I point them out or if the light hits them just right.

No reason for me to waste energy on the smackdown... The girl already put it to 'ya!:lol:

TJ- Nicely done!

Break, Break...

Seriously, we chatted about them at the Hottest Half last year and in person the scars are gnarly. While the general rule of "chicks dig scars" holds true, a doff of the beanie-cap from the dude side of the house for rockin' the dual compartment syndrome wounds.

Glad you're recovering from the ITB, but what's with the red "X" at the bottom of your posts? What was that supposed to be?

His check bounced.  Hee.

His check bounced. Hee.

Aha!Things are starting to

Aha!

Things are starting to make sense now. I saw the comment you made in the fundraiser thread but I thought you were just joking about the medal. I totally missed the red "X". I guess I didn't sign on at the right time. It's back to normal as far as I can see right now.

Nicely played though.

I still see a red x in your

I still see a red x in your signature box. Something's wrong. Can you please email Jamie back and ask him to fix it?

As long as your money's good,

As long as your money's good, that is. ;-)

Barefoot TJ wrote:I thought

Barefoot TJ said:
I thought you were a guy, Talon. You have purty legs and feet!

Is that a scar on your left inner calf too?

Did they do both legs on the same day?

How long ago were these surgeries?

Show us "after pictures."

Hey TJ,

Thanks for "tee-ing" me up just right for Pilot who should be along anytime now to smack the crap out of me. I should be hearing shortly about "no men in the Air force" or something along those lines.

Nope, the lines on the left inner calf were due to the compression bandages they put on my legs after the surgery. They did both legs on the same day and this was done in......2009 I think. I'll have to go back and look it up. Weird, but I can't remember the year. This is what happens when you get old.

I'll get some pics of them now. The scars are hardly noticeable unless I point them out or if the light hits them just right.

Support Your Club

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Raramuri7