Cheap Chia

LavaRunner

Chapter Presidents
Jun 4, 2010
I have been buying my chia at Whole Foods for about $20 per lb. Not a great deal but at least I don't have to pay shipping. The other day I was in the grocery store looking for some Dried Hibiscus Flowers and Dried Peppers in the Latin American food section when I noticed a bag of familiar looking seeds. The cost was 1$ for a 2 oz bag. I bought a few bags and took them home. compared them to my $20 seeds and there is no difference. It seems Chia Seeds are Chia seeds and like so many items, brand name costs.

Check out your local Mexican section and see if you have some chia by he Dried Peppers

Chia.JPG

Thanks, Lava.  Will do that.

Thanks, Lava. Will do that.

I am going to the grocery

I am going to the grocery store tomorrow and I am super-hopeful! I've been looking for a low cost way to try chia - just can't bring myself to buy a pound of something that I may or may not like (especially after finding out that some people can't eat it!).

Thank you for the heads up!

There is quite a large

There is quite a large Mexican population where i live (Many of them are illegal. There is litterally a sign in Mexico that says "come to monett missouri, we have jobs", ive seen pictures) Therefore we have many authentic mexican everything, i dont know where im going with this other than to say, thanks for the tip ill check it out asap.

I received a piece of junk

I received a piece of junk mail the other day addressed to "Current Resident." I opened it and was surprised to see it was a one page flyer typed completely in Spanish. Maybe I shouldn't have been surprised. Guess where it ended up.

Now back to your regularly scheduled program...

Try rawfoodworld.com, you can

Try rawfoodworld.com, you can get a 1lb bag for $9 http://www.therawfoodworld.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=0&products_id=1002259. I use this chia, it's good stuff! Not that I have anything to compare it too:p

or Amazon

$15 for 2lbs http://www.amazon.com/Chia-Seeds-2-Pounds/dp/B000WV0RW8/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&s=hpc&qid=1279855208&sr=8-2

That second one sounds like a

That second one sounds like a good deal, Zum.

I heart amazon.com

I heart amazon.com :)

Well Matt, with being able to

Well Matt, with being able to buy some of your groceries and get some shopping done online through Amazon, you are sort of buying yourself some extra time not needing to go to the store ;)

Well, I didn't find it in the

Well, I didn't find it in the big chain grocery (although I'll look next time I'm down South in the big city of Portland), but our local health food store carries some in bulk from Frontier. Anyone like me who wants to try a small amount before buying by the pound might want to check into it. (Frontier is a company that sells bulk spices to several stores around here, but I'm not sure if they are regional, national, or international.) In this particular store, it was right in with the bulk spice section.

I went all out when I bought

I went all out when I bought it George, it's packed full of awesome nutrients, omegas, magnesium, fiber etc. I actually bought it a few years ago (before I read BTR) for my older dd who has ADD, I got it for the omega 3s (those in chia are readily converted to DHA...awesome brain booster, esp important for kiddos with attention disorders). It was a bonus that it is excellent for hydration for runs :) We love it mixed into lemonade, I also started putting it into granola and granola bars (homemade)

I was tempted to go all out,

I was tempted to go all out, but after reading about fetish4running's experience with chia, I thought I'd better try before I buy (large quantities, anyway). Thankfully, so far, my guts like it just fine. :)

Since I don't eat much meat, I'll probably be adding it to food as well. It's amazing what a difference getting the omega fatty acids can make for my mood - probably for the same physiological reasons that it helps your DD.

Good point George, better

Good point George, better safe than sorry. :)

Awesome deal Adam! Thanks for sharing

Thanks for the reminder,

Thanks for the reminder, sprkthead. I just added Chia Seeds to the adversting side bar (on the right). At Amazon, this product is only $12.24 for TWO WHOLE POUNDS! That's a great deal, you guys.

Support Your Club

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hadashi jon