Can we get an Ontario Chapter ? - I feel so left out :((

AlmostBarefoot_Barry

Barefooters
May 7, 2010
Can we get an Ontario Chapter ? - I feel so left out :((

I know, Barry.  There are a

I know, Barry. There are a few of you in Canada requesting a chapter. Last time I checked with legal, we were told we were not set up to handle out-of-country chapters. We have not forgotten about you though. This has been on my mind for a couple of months now. Let us get things ironed-out with the US first, then we will start incorporating the rest of the world. I promise that is our intentions.

Barefoot TJ wrote:I know,

Barefoot TJ said:
I know, Barry. There are a few of you in Canada requesting a chapter. Last time I checked with legal, we were told we were not set up to handle out-of-country chapters. We have not forgotten about you though. This has been on my mind for a couple of months now. Let us get things ironed-out with the US first, then we will start incorporating the rest of the world. I promise that is our intentions.

Just a thought... Perhaps there could be international forum or sub-forum "areas" under the main forum without official "chapters" associated with them. Without there being an actual chapter and separate "joining" required, it might relax legal requirements enough to be possible.

Edit: Yeah! I figured out this quote thing. The quoted text has to start on the same line as the opening quote tag. Also, the ending quote tag has to be on the last line of the quoted text.

I've already thought of that,

I've already thought of that, Tim. Then I wondered how it would be perceived with the legal aspects of it. Let me contact legal and see what they say about offering just a forum area, not a chapter area. Thanks for helping to promote BFR around the world, Tim! ;-)

Done.  I'll get back with you

Done. I'll get back with you all and let you know what I learn.

waiting in the wings ... 

waiting in the wings ... :cry:

PS: If I was "Barefoot_Barry" would you let me come and play?

Ha, funny!

Ha, funny!

Good to see you here,

Good to see you here, Barry.

I'm also in Mississauga, as is TrailDawg, who's joined the BRS just recently. Maybe we could get an Ontario sub-forum going, if that's OK with the BRS gods.

And I'd like to get a local barefoot event going sometime this summer, perhaps in July or August. Maybe a 10K or 15K BF event somewhere in Mississauga. TrailDawg is organizing the Dare to Be Bare 52K Ultra in October. so we might use part of that route for a shorter event.

In the meantime, I'm running the Mississauga Marathon, the Niagara 50K Ultra, and the Toronto Underwear Affair 10K in the coming weeks/months, and would love to see you at any of those if you're doing them. TrailDawg's focus is on the Five Peaks trail series.

Hope to hook up soon.

Alan

p.s Dear BRS legal department: We're not dangerous, honest. We're just Canadian.

AlanT wrote: ... And I'd like

AlanT said:
... And I'd like to get a local barefoot event going sometime this summer, perhaps in July or August. Maybe a 10K or 15K BF event somewhere in Mississauga. TrailDawg is organizing the Dare to Be Bare 52K Ultra in October. so we might use part of that route for a shorter event. In the meantime, I'm running the Mississauga Marathon, the Niagara 50K Ultra, and the Toronto Underwear Affair 10K in the coming weeks/months, and would love to see you at any of those if you're doing them...

I'll be in the Mississauga Marathon 10k (sat 15may), way at the back of the pack :)

- running (jogging) in minimalist OSMA's

- is my first event ever.

AlanT wrote:p.s Dear BRS

AlanT said:
p.s Dear BRS legal department: We're not dangerous, honest. We're just Canadian.

i.e. Harmless, and polite to a fault.

It warms my heart to see the

It warms my heart to see the main purpose for the creation of the BRS coming to life...uniting barefoot runners from across the country (and eventually the World).

I received word back from legal this morning. The BRS is not set-up to take on OOC (out-of-country - I made that acronym up, like it?) chapters at this time, but it's not an impossibility that within a year, we may be able to. We still have so many details to work out here, some of them legal. From legal: "One way to speed this along is to find a Canadian corporate lawyer who would be willing to work PRO-BONO with our counter-part American corporate lawyer to incorporate Canada separately from America, since the disclosures/waivers/etc., (this applies to all countries) would all need to be altered to fit Canadian law. We'd likely have to incorporate in Canada as a separate but related entity in order to get out of subjecting the entire BRS to Canadian law in the case of controversy."

Done.  Because we have had

Done. Because we have had plenty of interest from Canada, I've created a forum for Canada, so at least in the meantime, you will have a place to go to organize your "friends just getting together for a little run" runs.

Welcome, Great White North!

Barefoot TJ wrote:From

Barefoot TJ said:
From legal: "One way to speed this along is to find a Canadian corporate lawyer who would be willing to work PRO-BONO with our counter-part American corporate lawyer to incorporate Canada separately from America, since the disclosures/waivers/etc., (this applies to all countries) would all need to be altered to fit Canadian law. We'd likely have to incorporate in Canada as a separate but related entity in order to get out of subjecting the entire BRS to Canadian law in the case of controversy."

I'll make some enquiries, and see if I can find a lawyer who can do that.

Alan

Barefoot TJ wrote:Because we

Barefoot TJ said:
Because we have had plenty of interest from Canada, I've created a forum for Canada, so at least in the meantime, you will have a place to go to organize your "friends just getting together for a little run" runs.

Thank you so much, TJ!

Alan

Hello all you Canadian

Hello all you Canadian barefoot freaks!!!!!

Just joined the group....barefooting for 4 months now and having a blast.

I'm from Pickering and seem to be the only barefoot jackass that I can see.....around here anyway.

If I can, I'll do the Toronto half barefoot in October. I'm doing 6k runs barefoot four times per week as well as 30k cycles and poolwork.

If I can get the mileage on the pads up to 50k per week, then I'll be fine.

I'm up for any organized barefoot runs around town as well.

Looks like a great day today so I'm gonna ride it like I stole it.

James.

Welcome, James! Good to see

Welcome, James! Good to see another local here. (I live in Mississauga.)

Would you be up for a 10K informal BRS barefoot run in Mississauga sometime in July? I'm in the process of organizing it, and will post the info here soon.

I'm doing a few races barefoot this summer. First is the Niagara 50K Ultra (Niagara-on-the-Lake to Niagara Falls and back) this Saturday. Then I'll do the Toronto Underwear Affair 10K on August 28. It's a cancer fundraiser which we support from our office. (I'm a prostate cancer survivor, and my father is currently in palliative care, dying from a very aggressive form of prostate cancer). I'm putting together a small team for the Underwear Affair, and would be delighted if you could join us.

More barefoot races: I'll do the Run for the Grapes Half Marathon in St. Catharines on September 19, and the Bare If You Dare 52K Ultra in late October. You might be interested in the latter. It's a really informal affair (no registration fees, no medals, etc.) organized by a friend of mine, that will consists of four 13K loops. Runners can do as many or as few loops as they want. It takes place in Port Credit (Mississauga).

Get in touch if any or all of these interest you. And once again, welcome!

Alan

Don't forget about the Canada

Don't forget about the Canada forum. You guys can use it to communicate about these meetups/events you are planning, so everyone from Canada will have a place to go to get the details and not be left out should they miss the post in the General forums. Sorry to butt in.

Support Your Club

Natural Running Center

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Raramuri7