Can I keep running with Plantar Fasciitis?

just a quick

just a quick update:

i've been doing all of your suggestions. i bought a night splint (a futuro one from cvs, about $35 i think...) and i've been stretching a lot! and it all seems to be helping! yippee! my 5k on thanksgiving may still be possible after all!

just had a great run! just a mile, but the fastest mile i've done in awhile (10:30) even with shoes! i know thats not fast, but its good for me! i felt quick and light, i think the stretching has helped (duh! ) b/c i barely felt tight at all. i'm rolling my foot on my frozen water bottle now though

when i stretch my soleus, though, it feels as if i'm stretching my achiles tendon... am i supposed to feel that?

The soleus attaches to the

The soleus attaches to the achilles tendon so yes, you should feel that.

Go easy on that stretch if

Go easy on that stretch if you are feeling it in the Achilles. You should slightly feel it if not at all.

I've been running barefoot

I've been running barefoot for about 7 months (in VFF KSOs), and having pain that resembles PF off and on lately. Some days its there (after sitting for some time, particularly if I have my feet elevated; some days it isn't. Since it is an inflammation, treat it as one. You can reduce inflammation with an anti-inflammatory, such as aspirin or ibuprofin, and certain juices are helpful---I believe cranberry or others high in anti-oxidants.

One thing I've noticed is that, because my running is not consistent (I skip several days then run when I feel like it), the pain is sporadic. But when I run more, PF seems to be non-existent for a few days. I really MUST get on a regular running routine. So I'm going out right now!

I've also made the decision to run really barefoot from today.

Welcome, Kelly.I just have

Welcome, Kelly.

I just have to add here. It is SO important for runners to constantly stretch their calves and plantar fascia everyday, whether you run or not to stave off PF (and other problems), and it is SO important to stretch your calves and plantar fascia and wear night splints, ice, and take anti-inflammatories just as soon as you have signs of PF.

ckelly wrote:I've been

ckelly said:
I've been running barefoot for about 7 months (in VFF KSOs), and having pain that resembles PF off and on lately. Some days its there (after sitting for some time, particularly if I have my feet elevated; some days it isn't. Since it is an inflammation, treat it as one. You can reduce inflammation with an anti-inflammatory, such as aspirin or ibuprofin, and certain juices are helpful---I believe cranberry or others high in anti-oxidants.

One thing I've noticed is that, because my running is not consistent (I skip several days then run when I feel like it), the pain is sporadic. But when I run more, PF seems to be non-existent for a few days. I really MUST get on a regular running routine. So I'm going out right now!

I've also made the decision to run really barefoot from today.

Awesome choice in my opinion. Welcome!

I am sure this has been

I am sure this has been covered, but I have been having some pain in my foot recently. But it isn't at the heel at all, it's more in the middle of my foot. Probably not PF right? I took 4 days off, and ran lightly on it last night, and it felt OK during the run. But it still hurts a little bit when I walk on it. Should I just go easy, and make sure to stretch?

It is typically a very good

It is typically a very good thing to stretch your calves; in fact, runners such always stretch their calves I am finding.

It is also a good idea to take time off when you first experience an injury to get to know the injury and give it time to heal.

And yes, PF can happen in the middle of the bottom of your feet. It can happen in several places along the bottoms of our feet.

So, basically just stretch it

So, basically just stretch it a lot? It hurts a little right when I first walk on it after sitting, or sleeping. I have one of those PF roller devices, hopefully that will help.

I ran 3 mi on it last night with negligible pain.

Wear a night splint to

Wear a night splint to prevent that "first step of the morning pain." Each time you step after being idle for a while and not have worked your calves first, you reinjure the plantar fascia. A night splint will help to prevent this, which will help you to heal quicker. Use ice too.

Thanks for the info! I have

Thanks for the info! I have also found this thread very useful as I have developed PF in the past week after completing my third half marathon on the 17th. I run with the Nike Free 5.0 (love these) and had some pain behind my left knee at about mile 7, by mile 10 I was having pain in my arch but I pushed through and finished with a new PR. I didn't really know much about PF and realize I probably could have prevented some of this pain if I would have just had a pit stop to stretch a little. Well now after the fact I am happy that I don't have a stress fracture or anything but I am bummed because I am rid of all my aches and pains other that the PF and ready to get back to running. Guess I will stick to the bike for my cardo till I am healed up. Anyways, thanks for all the useful tips.

Jess

And another IMPORTANT thing

And another IMPORTANT thing to consider when dealing with PF. If you are on antibiotics and they are of the fluoroquinolone or quinolone group, stop running until at least two weeks after you have stopped taking them, to help prevent rupturing the fascia or tendons. Don't let what happened to me happen to you.

Perhaps while running on

Perhaps while running on roads our bodies strengthen certain parts of the muscles in our feet, mainly some of the arch muscles in our feet, then when we switch to trails, we start strengthening other parts of those muscles in our feet.

Abide wrote:Oh no I sit and

Abide said:
Oh no I sit and roll the ball under my foot at my desk at work all day. If I want more pressure I will just push down with my other foot.

Thanks Abide, that's a great idea. I started rolling the tennis ball under my foot at my desk at work and it's really helping me to deal with some recent arch soreness after my trail runs.

What's interesting to me is that when I start running a trail, my sore arches start feeling just fine right after 2 minutes or so (no pain, no soreness, relaxed foot), it is usually an hour or two after my runs when they become sensitive and slightly sore again. I am thinking the plantar fascia in my arch is getting a nice massage on a trail run so I feel great during run but when not in action it gets sore. Since there is never any real pain I plan to stay on my regular running schedule hoping this will pass with time (after strengthening my PF).

I never had this issue before in the past 6 months running barefoot on pavement, it just started in 2nd week after switching to running trails.

Support Your Club

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Raramuri7