Calf size mismatch

C-Dog

Barefooters
Jun 22, 2010
I have always had big Calves, but it would see that since I started running the right calf has outpaced the left calf in size. It's clearly bigger to me now, I haven't measured it though. In addition, it is the calf that gets tight about a mile in to my run (then usually loosens back up). Is this pretty obviously indicative of a form issue? I went and grabbed some form drill vids from youtube, and I plan to go back and start working on that. But has anyone else notice this issue?

I would measure them, but I don't want ya'll to feel bad about how huge and muscley they are :)

I would imagine it is form...I have my right calf smaller than my left but its due to atrophy when I broke my right ankle in April 2011...it has affected my stride but I just try to relax and just run

Could you be dealing with a compartment syndrome? I think TalonRaid had to have surgery for that eventually because his calves kept getting so huge that the "compartment" couldn't hold them anymore. Not that I am trying to scare you or anything. He's doing awesome now.

Do you routinely run on the same side of roads with a significant crown towards the center, i.e. like running parallel to a continuous never-ending slope with your right leg up-slope of the left?

Good point, Patrick.

Support Your Club

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Raramuri7

Latest posts